No announcement yet.

Remember these

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great memories wearing one of those. Waste belt with the battery too. Lots of rabbits shot using that.

Comment

AKA one-eyed beagle...

Comment

used one to hunt rabbits with a .22 cal pellet rifle,,, dang that was fun

Comment

I have spent many, many hours setting decoys in the light that those things casted. I hated them then and still do. I'm sure glad todays lights don't include a belt clip.

Comment

I was probably only 11-12 years old with a 20 gauge single shot walking miles up and down a pipeline easement that ran next to my grandparents place shooting rabbits with a spot light, can’t imagine many kids that age doing that now. The worst part was finding a 6v battery, kinda like tearing the house apart looking for a 9v battery at 1am when the smoke detector battery goes low!

We lived in the country so you would have to go to “town” to get a 6v battery.
            Good memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Loaded a many burlap sack with bullfrog's wearing those.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                Me and grandpa would frog gig with one of those back in the day.
                I called mine a “frog gigging light”. The battery was mounted on your hip.

Comment

Like drycreek, I can remember coon hunting with a handheld carbide light.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    Like drycreek, I can remember coon hunting with a handheld carbide light.
                    When did carbide lights start to phase out?

Comment

Yep !!
                      Killed a many of rabbits using a modified head like that one in the picture. Mine use a 12 volt screw top battery and a 9 volt bulb. Always carried a few extra bulbs. Brings had a bunch of great memories .

Comment

Oh yeah. PR13 bulb to start and when the battery started going down, switch to a PR3 and right back to bright again.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                          When did carbide lights start to phase out?
                          Not sure but I used to take the carbide and build bombs to kill fish in the creeks, and ponds. My uncles kept it in a big sealed glass container.
                          Never seen one used though, by the time I came around, everyone had wheat lights.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            Not sure but I used to take the carbide and build bombs to kill fish in the creeks, and ponds. My uncles kept it in a big sealed glass container.
                            Never seen one used though, by the time I came around, everyone had wheat lights.
                            Me n my dad used to drop a little carbide down crawfish holes in the yard to kill 'em! If he dropped too much in and I stomped the hole to quick, it'd blow my foot up off the ground!!! Things we used to do!!!...

Comment

Me, a Sears and Roebuck 410, and that exact light, circa 1975-1980, were a swamp rabbits(or anything with eyes)worst nightmare.....

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                Me n my dad used to drop a little carbide down crawfish holes in the yard to kill 'em! If he dropped too much in and I stomped the hole to quick, it'd blow my foot up off the ground!!! Things we used to do!!!...
                                Good stuff .

Comment

Working...
                                X