No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it. Will be buying something a little easier. Good suggestions above.

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
      have any of y'all ever hunter UNIT 51 in NM? second bow season
      Hunted it as far back as when it had single season.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        Just a note: I have given up on trying to make a cow elk sound with a mouth call. I sound like a kitten or a gobbler or an old screen door. Not an elk.

Primos Hoochie Mamma....here I come.

Carry on with your thread.

Chew, these are the easiest to use diaphragms I have found...by far. I've tried most of them but like the pink one the best.

Comment

I've tried a phelps and a primos diaphragm call. I'm calling challenged.

Comment

Practice just holding pressure on it. Like as if you're trying to blow air out but hold a seal against it with your tongue so there's no air whatsoever going across the reed, you'll feel it in your diaphragm. That's the same feel you should have when you're calling. Just barely take off any pressure to make that high note.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
              You picked up a left over muzzleloader elk tag? What unit? PM if you prefer. There weren't a ton of options and you might be in the same unit I am going first rifle.
              PM Sent

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                Ok so I’m a fan of Kuiu. I use their clothing extensively (almost exclusively) for my hunting needs. But their frames aren’t in the same ballpark as Kifaru or Stone Glacier (or Exo....never used Mystery Ranch). And the cost difference isn’t double.

Kuiu makes an ok pack for medium to light loads. Their bags are awesome. Frame is just so so.

An Icon Pro frame and suspension is going to run you $300 plus shipping. I can get the new Stone Glacier Krux Evo brand new for less than that. And none of the better frames are going to cost you more than $375 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I was referring to full packs, Kuiu full packs run in the $3-500 range, my full Mountain Warrior and frame was around $800 so yeah, not exact numbers but pretty close.

I had an old Kuiu Ultra (forgot what size, somewhere around 3000) and it was OK but my Kifaru blew it out of the water.

So for full packs it's hard to beat a Kuiu if that's your budget limit, but like we both agree, the other high end guys blow them out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                  Ok so I’m a fan of Kuiu. I use their clothing extensively (almost exclusively) for my hunting needs. But their frames aren’t in the same ballpark as Kifaru or Stone Glacier (or Exo....never used Mystery Ranch). And the cost difference isn’t double.

Kuiu makes an ok pack for medium to light loads. Their bags are awesome. Frame is just so so.

An Icon Pro frame and suspension is going to run you $300 plus shipping. I can get the new Stone Glacier Krux Evo brand new for less than that. And none of the better frames are going to cost you more than $375 or so.

Icon Pro frame is $211 in Outlet, 2016 model. They give you new clips to attach to a 2018 Icon Pro 3200 bag sold for $160. That’s what I bought. I’m never going to try to carry over 70# since I’ll destroy my 60+ year old back. The thing with Kuiu is to get on their email list and watch for sales.

Comment

Came in at work today- 150s for a 525 grain elk arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                      Hunted it as far back as when it had single season.
                      going to send you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                        I was referring to full packs, Kuiu full packs run in the $3-500 range, my full Mountain Warrior and frame was around $800 so yeah, not exact numbers but pretty close.

I had an old Kuiu Ultra (forgot what size, somewhere around 3000) and it was OK but my Kifaru blew it out of the water.

So for full packs it's hard to beat a Kuiu if that's your budget limit, but like we both agree, the other high end guys blow them out of the water.

Use the Kuiu bag and the pack cost is virtually the same. With Kuiu, the bag isn’t the weak link.

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                        Icon Pro frame is $211 in Outlet, 2016 model. They give you new clips to attach to a 2018 Icon Pro 3200 bag sold for $160. That’s what I bought. I’m never going to try to carry over 70# since I’ll destroy my 60+ year old back. The thing with Kuiu is to get on their email list and watch for sales.

Meh, discount pricing is available on discontinued models of all pack brands. The point is that there are better packs for virtually the same price.

Comment

I’m sure it’s been mentioned on here before, but keep an eye on the Rokslide classifieds. Kifaru bikini frame on there right now for $275. Just gotta find a bag and you are in a Kifaru set up for $475 or less depending on which bag. I was skeptical before, but I picked up a bikini frame and AMR bag on there for just over $400. Been practicing for my upcoming elk trip and have been very impressed. doing 75lb loads for 5-8 miles with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post

Comparing an ultra to Kifaru duplex is like comparing a tundra to an f250 PSD. Made for different things.

I’m not a carbon fiber frame fan(in any capacity, frame, stays, bow riser, etc) but that’s not a fair comparison.

I’ve used EXO, Duplex, Krux and pro. If properly fitted at 75lbs from a comfort standpoint, I’d rank duplex, Exo, Krux then pro, with that said under 75lbs it is a very very even field, and none are unbearable like an elberstock is. I think Kuiu makes best bags and exo second, Orginal Exo’s where a steal for price. I’d like to use the then new kifaru light frame to test. My only complaint was the duplex was to stiff with out a a large load, exo SG and even Pro where much more comfortable
                            Last edited by Texans42; 08-13-2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post

You can get MR for pretty close to that if you watch for sales. I got a Selway for 375 shipped from Black Ovis last week and they have been closing out multicam at Moutain Archery for a month.

Comment

Chew, try the Primos open reed Timberline. It's easy to learn and you can make some very accurate calls .

Comment

Working...
                                X