No announcement yet.

LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by cloud8a; 12-12-2017, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cloud8a View Post
      I'm a newbie to deer hunting. All I have to hunt is the Grasslands. I have a question that is a super wet behind the ears question. Before I ask the question I'll say I have done my research and have done my scouting. I understand the respect to be paid to other hunters on public land and all of the rules and regulations. I believe I have most of that covered, at least I hope so and feel anything else I haven't known to cover I can chalk up to experience in a positive light.

When is it appropriate during a hunt to take a coyote and if and when you do, what do you need to do with it? What should you do with it?

Yes I know you can take them but I have found a kind of blank spot of info on when you should decide to shoot one and what is custom to do with it afterwards .
      You can shoot one any time you want to, and you can do whatever you would like with it. Meaning there is no custom or etiquette to follow, especially for predators.

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
        Set up a new spot...trail cam pics confirmed presumed activity. No shooters, dang it.
        i have a pretty good idea where that is and i think it only holds young deer.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by snubnose57 View Post
          As you get close to Hopewell cemetary, there is a main parking place where you enter through a wooden gate, walk all the way down and it is on the left. I would take them down myself, but to me it would be stealing, and I have no use for one anyway...
          If it is a ground blind leave it if it is any kind of tree stand mark your gps coordinates and report to the game warden.

Comment

Believe it or not there is alot of people that loose there treestand or ground blind cause they dont mark it on maps and dont remember how to get back to them.

Comment

Originally posted by cloud8a View Post
              I'm a newbie to deer hunting. All I have to hunt is the Grasslands. I have a question that is a super wet behind the ears question. Before I ask the question I'll say I have done my research and have done my scouting. I understand the respect to be paid to other hunters on public land and all of the rules and regulations. I believe I have most of that covered, at least I hope so and feel anything else I haven't known to cover I can chalk up to experience in a positive light.

When is it appropriate during a hunt to take a coyote and if and when you do, what do you need to do with it? What should you do with it?

Yes I know you can take them but I have found a kind of blank spot of info on when you should decide to shoot one and what is custom to do with it afterward.

Many people will shoot any and all predators they get an opportunity at.

The only time I don’t is if I feel I am close enough to buck bedding that I can’t get away with the noises made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rich1201 View Post
                When the LEO out there replied to me he said youth hunters can take does or bucks. If you'd like pm me your email address and I can forward you our conversation.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
                Juts some follow up direct from the game warden:

Jan 8-21
                Special Late season
                Youth can take doe, 13" or wider buck, or TRUE spike. (one un- branched antler on either side). A buck with one unbranched antler and 2-3-4-5-6 pts etc on the other side is NOT legal to take.

Adults can take TRUE SPIKE ONLY. (one unbranched antler either side)

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
                  Juts some follow up direct from the game warden:

Jan 8-21
                  Special Late season
                  Youth can take doe, 13" or wider buck, or TRUE spike. (one un- branched antler on either side). A buck with one unbranched antler and 2-3-4-5-6 pts etc on the other side is NOT legal to take.

Adults can take TRUE SPIKE ONLY. (one unbranched antler either side)
                  Thanks for looking into. I never received a response from LEO. Hopefully looking to get a buck down before then. Found a new spot and hung a camera last weekend. We'll see how that goes.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is off the TPWD website, I think they changed the definition a little this season because it caused so much confusion...

Attached Files

Comment

I don't get why this is so difficult to understand. Pictures 1, 2 and 3 are legal for both archery only and general season. Pic 2 is the only legal one during the special late season.

Granted all 3 are still legal for youth hunting, but no does for anyone during the special late season, or non thanksgiving weekend of general season.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                        I don't get why this is so difficult to understand. Pictures 1, 2 and 3 are legal for both archery only and general season. Pic 2 is the only legal one during the special late season.

Granted all 3 are still legal for youth hunting, but no does for anyone during the special late season, or non thanksgiving weekend of general season.
                        Because of the wording itself. It says one unbranched antler on EITHER side. If it was a true spike, it should say unbranched antler on BOTH sides.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post

Agree on most of what you said, but Wise County Game Warden advised yesterday that on LBJ Grasslands, during the special late season, youth can legally take doe deer as well as 13" (pic one) and true spike (pic 2).

That's why its hard to fully understand. Different info in different places. I'm going with the GW/Wise County.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                            Because of the wording itself. It says one unbranched antler on EITHER side. If it was a true spike, it should say unbranched antler on BOTH sides.
                            Just in case...You may be referring to my quote which included the "EITHER side"... I reread that one last night and thought hmmm, that might not be as clear as the GW intended. What the GW said was a "true spike": one unbranched antler on both sides. I also took that to mean if there was one unbranched antler on one side and no antler at all on the other, then this too would be a legal take.

Comment

Just re-read the late season regs, and it says antlerless and unbranched antlered bucks. So yes, it's plain to see that means a true spike.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                                Just re-read the late season regs, and it says antlerless and unbranched antlered bucks. So yes, it's plain to see that means a true spike.

Special Late Season During the Special Late Season, harvest is restricted to antlerless deer and unbranched antlered bucks. An unbranched antlered buck is any buck deer with an antler having no more than one point.

It doesn’t say both antlers

Comment

Working...
                                X