Finally made it to Yellowstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
    We have been multiple times and always enjoy it. We finally got to see the Lamar Valley last week. I HIGHLY recommend driving the Beartooth Highway (outside the park) up to Red Lodge, MT and the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway which is also outside the park. Trust me, you won't regret it! The Beartooth has been called the most beautiful drive in the USA.
    Thanks, I will try to remember that, I hope we go back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
      Good advice Burnadell. That drive is amazing.
      If you want to fish you need to go after the high spring runoff. Some years July is about right.
      Highway 130 over the Snowy Range is another very pretty drive with some amazing scenery at the top and lots of spots to pull off and take a short, or day, hike and fish.
      It would be an excursion off of I-80 through Saratoga and into Laramie.
      Thanks, I need to save this post, so I can come back and read it before we go again, getting multiple suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhica View Post
        Driving thru the park during the summer is awe inspiring! Winter on a snow mobile is something to see. No cars are allowed. Only sleds and snow coaches with a guide. You can rent from a number of local businesses. Then you can grab a map a trial ride outside the park for thousands of miles of trails!
        I never knew they did that. That would be a very different vacation, now if I can convince my wife to go for that idea. I guess the snow gets very deep up there. I remember going to Wyoming as a kid, during June, then we went down to Elks Mountain in northern Colorado, I think, on the way there, there would be sections 1/4 mile to 1/2 long, where the snow was still 10 to 12 ft. deep on either side of the road. I can understand why trying to get around in a car up there, would be a waste of time.

Comment

Beautiful pics thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
            We plan to go venturing way off the main roads on the next trip. This trip, I did not realize before we left, my wife let her father plan our trip or he appointed himself the tour guide, which did not include stopping and seeing the sights, but as you can see I did not follow his plans very well.

I got yelled at much of the trip for stopping and getting out to see elk, deer, buffalo, rivers, mountains, ect. My wife's father was boiling mad, within the first two hours, I messed his plans up pretty badly. I was not happy, when I found out we could have easily have spent two days in Yellowstone had we just taken off and gone. But we sat around her parent's place in Idaho for multiple days. We had to wait till the day he planned for us to take our quick trip through the park.
            Lol, yeah you can't rely on others to know what you want to do. I have found locals to any place tend to blow by the tourist stuff since they can basically see it any time.

Either way, thanks for the photos. Thank Teddy Roosevelt for that pristine piece of public land!

Comment

We are packing up as I read this post and headed back to Texas. We have been uo here since Monday, quick trip. I did not see any bear or Moose, just a bear track while horseback riding. Several people we spoke to saw a good Grizz at Yellowstone that was feeding on a carcass, and said it was cool because he would eat a bit and then charge the birds that dropped in for a bite.

This bull was at Teton and was bugling good and was with a Harem of cows.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yellowstone is a bucketlist item for me...want to ride the motorcycle up there and spend at least a week. Would really like to do a guided expedition on horses and do some camping in the backcountry and away from the really touristy areas

Comment

Never been, always wanted to go. Definitely happening in 2019, thanks for the reminder with the beautiful photos!

Comment

Working...
                  X