No announcement yet.

Adventures in "trad" fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That first one looks cool. Here are the first two I made with what i had on hand based on some pics and vids i saw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409193917719.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	24325726

Comment

I like these two i tied during the 2nd half last night. They seem to swim well too.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409327397751.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	24325872

Comment

Okay guys, recommend me a good beginners set-up, please.

Lorenzo

Comment

When asked that question (which i have been recently) the hardest part is suggesting the weight. I personally like that I started with a 5 weight. However I totally see merit in the 6 weight being recommended after handling one. If you are going to fish small ponds and streams like me... 5 is good. Large lakes, 6 or even 7 might be better, especially if usually windy.

As for packages. I have experience with the following

As a beginner, I have nothing bad to say. I like the 4 piece and the reel feels well suited. This is what I use throughout this adventure.

Cabelas Cahill is what we got for my son. It is 60 bucks but the reel is junk. Fortunately it isn't an issue yet since you don't use it much.

Cabelas Prestige is a rod I recently got used off her as a backup for the Cahill package. Better package for sure. It is 5 years old, but I would be happy with it as my primary if it were 4 piece.

I am going to buck a trend and say this. Good rods cost at least 200 bucks if not more. However, you usually don't need an expensive reel. On packages in the 150 range, you are investing in a reel and case that will be usable on expensive rods. When I spent 150, I felt that I was at least buying a good reel. Once you get below 100 bucks, you are getting a package, that if you upgrade, you are starting over. At least that is my opinion.

Comment

Thank you SwampRabbit!

Comment

Originally posted by Loreva13 View Post
              Thank you SwampRabbit!
              Let me know when you buy/order one and I will tie up some flies that have worked for me and send them to you to get you started.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                Let me know when you buy/order one and I will tie up some flies that have worked for me and send them to you to get you started.
                Awesome! Thanks for the gesture, I will let you know soon!

Comment

I went with a 8 wt, I want to focus on a little bigger fish and even saltwater eventually

I got a TFO complete setup for about 200. Bass pro. The one I really liked was 600, but just couldn't pull the trigger on that one

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                    I went with a 8 wt, I want to focus on a little bigger fish and even saltwater eventually

I got a TFO complete setup for about 200. Bass pro. The one I really liked was 600, but just couldn't pull the trigger on that one
                    If your gonna flats fish learn how to double haul cast

Comment

Originally posted by Loreva13 View Post
                      Awesome! Thanks for the gesture, I will let you know soon!

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409439063729.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	24326046

Had some down time today... pm me your mailing address.

Comment

Originally posted by BowBuddy View Post
                        If your gonna flats fish learn how to double haul cast
                        Still learning how to cast past 10 feet, but I hear what you're saying

Added Guadalupe bass yesterday, the biggest was about 10 inches

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                          Still learning how to cast past 10 feet, but I hear what you're saying

Added Guadalupe bass yesterday, the biggest was about 10 inches
                          Sweet deal on the guad!

Comment

When fly casting most people start out making an arc with the rod tip the movement with the rod hand is like sawing a board and the rod tip should draw a straight line in the sky. Pausing at each end of the line till the string loads the rod. Until this is learned double hauling will not be possible. Also with a proper cast the loop of the line will be tight. A good fly cast can empty the fly line or of the reel to the backing.in reality casting a fly rod is the same mechanics as shooting a long bow. The rod actually shoots the line.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                              [ATTACH]647086[/ATTACH]

Had some down time today... pm me your mailing address.
                              Pm sent! Thank you SwampRabbit! Very much appreciated!!!!

Comment

When I first moved to Texas in the early 80's I didn't think there were any Fly Fisherman here. Folks would see me and come and ask what I was doing and then tell them "there ain't no trout in this lake"

Been at it a while...

And ya have to have a frog if your going to fish for bass.

Comment

Working...
                                X