S&W dash or no dash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&W dash or no dash?

Here is my logic on the S&W revolver dash dilemma.
    The more dashes the better. Why? A dash after the model # means S&W has fixed any problem or improved that model.
    I've bought and sold a few S&W revolvers. I've noticed S&W owners and especially someone wanting to sell a S&W revolver are proud and want more money for a no dash. IMO that is backwards.
    Forgot when S&W started doing the dash dilly. I'm too lazy to look it up again. So let's just not include those in this thread because that is kind of a mute point anyhow.
    Semper fi.
    God bless!
    Edit: I don't have a clue if S&W eliminated or added pins, did or did not reses cylinders or took out or added screws in their dash processes.
    If you know please add that information to this thread.
    I love to learn stuff even if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by texaspacker; 11-19-2018, 09:06 PM.

You’re not buying a model T for a fortune because it drives better than a brand new vehicle. Same concept as the older revolvers. However, a lot of the early guns were very high quality. Hand built versus an assembly line of machines. Hence why the pre lock guns are more desirable that the current ones.

Comment

Also a no dash will not have an internal lock. Depending on the particular model of S&W revolver they all received the internal lock at a particular dash #.
      Some folks feel strongly that the lock makes the gun less reliable because there is a minuscule chance that the lock could malfunction at the worst time making the gun not fire.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

The earlier revolvers are much more collectible, later models were improved with enhancements that increased the longevity, especially in magnum calibers. Smiths were, and still are fine revolvers, I'd personally rather have a later model with the performance upgrades.

Comment

False thinking in many aspects, but DO PLEASE understand I totally where you might relate the next dash as well actual 'improvement' The harsh Really evolves around marketing 101: HERE'S THE NEW DASH & YOUR OLD ONE IS CRAP.. / OBSOLETE...it's used tooactuall many hrs
          to put in perspective, new dashes are actually on the exact same bar like saying a pre-64 Winchester or older model 700 is inferior. Pre 64's were hand lapped bores & up until early 1950 had intregal front sights milled from the SAME piece of bbl vs sweated on. Older means more man hours in most all firearm cases regardless of brand & why there is premium cost associated. Colt quit making the DA revolver...at least done correctly because it cost too much to do so. Smith is no different but adapted to market competition. My personal experience regarding help explain said industry with our auto / consumer / medical / professional / etc fields simply does not re-design wire harnesses used on Harley Davidson or CAT switch / GE or Siemens anesthesiologist parts / DeWALT Tools / etc . for their health / new generation of product for their health

Here's the deal: The dash only means a design change in the model...if you think skipping pinning the barrel & recessing the cylinder (P&R Guns) was stopped to improve the smith overall design from a quality stand point, well please just stop. You also are seeing a collector rise on certain Early non P&R guns BEFORE a certain dash because s&w again cut corners going to MIM internals.

Newer guns are all about profit due to overhead...older guns were all pride in workmanship. Custom shop smiths are another story and
          Last edited by Artos; 11-20-2018, 01:26 AM. Reason: sorry, missed

Comment

If the barrels were threaded and a suppressor attached to the point it could be mute, but a moot point since this thread did not mention threaded barrels at any point.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
              Here is my logic on the S&W revolver dash dilemma.
              The more dashes the better. Why? A dash after the model # means S&W has fixed any problem or improved that model.
              I've bought and sold a few S&W revolvers. I've noticed S&W owners and especially someone wanting to sell a S&W revolver are proud and want more money for a no dash. IMO that is backwards.
              Forgot when S&W started doing the dash dilly. I'm too lazy to look it up again. So let's just not include those in this thread because that is kind of a mute point anyhow.
              Semper fi.
              God bless!
              Edit: I don't have a clue if S&W eliminated or added pins, did or did not reses cylinders or took out or added screws in their dash processes.
              If you know please add that information to this thread.
              I love to learn stuff even if I'm wrong.

a change does not always mean an improvement,,, just look at the house of representatives....

i have a 29-3,, not sure what changes were made to get to the 3 but,, it has the 6.5" barrel and recessed cylinder, target sights, hammer and trigger,,, along the way they added a -4 -5 and so on,, in those changes they dropped the 6.5" barrel and recessed cylinder to save money they were not improvements

Comment

That is the last time I use my phone to post anything more than one sentence...not sure how you guys do it. Sorry for the painful write up.

~~~~~~

Boomerang, you would think there would be incredible improvements to newer guns with all the new computerized machining advances, but they clearly did things better all the way around with older guns vs today's profit margins.

Comment

After S&W quit the pinned barrels and recessed cylinders the dashes mean nothing. The dash means a change such as square to round but, a different front sight, using a different pin or spring or worse going to cast parts. Some of them could be an improvement but for the most part they are cutting costs. And the different dashes for the different models do not necessarily mean the same change was made.

Comment

I WAS WRONG!
                    Pulled out two 4" model 13s.
                    13-1 pinned & recessed
                    13-3 NOT pinned & is recessed.
                    Pulled out three model 29s
                    4" 29-2 pinned & recessed
                    6" 29-3 NIETHER!!!! Plus the finish is not as nice.
                    8" 29-2 pinned & recessed
                    Got bummed out so I'll stop there.
                    I'm am idiot!!!!
                    I stand corrected!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
                    Last edited by texaspacker; 11-21-2018, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Need M16 to chime in on this. I bet he knows.

Comment

You are not an idiot and you are not 100% incorrect. All of the lawyers out there think each change is an improvement especially when they made the triggers heavier and added the safety. Only a small percentage of us are connoisseur of fine revolvers.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
                          I WAS WRONG!
                          Pulled out two 4" model 13s.
                          13-1 pinned & recessed
                          13-3 NOT pinned & is recessed.
                          Pulled out three model 29s
                          4" 29-2 pinned & recessed
                          6" 29-3 NIETHER!!!! Plus the finish is not as nice.
                          8" 29-2 pinned & recessed
                          Got bummed out so I'll stop there.
                          I'm am idiot!!!!
                          I stand corrected!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
                          MAN! I love me some wheel guns, it's just too bad that they are not as comfortable to carry as a pistol. I sold my .44 (29-2) to buy the "new" gun, but.....hmm?? I wish I still had my 'dirty Harry' gun!

I will say that my favorite hunting pistol is the Performance Center Model .44 Magnum Hunter. I love the gun, and I have the Kodiak holster to make if REALLY effective, but it's still doesn't feel like a "real" S&W .44. Don't get me wrong, it is deadly accurate, and I LOVE the muzzle brake, but its just not one of the "oldies".

I also have the Performance Center model 929 (8 shot 9MM).....I'm not yet a fan.

Comment

Checked out more!
                            (2) 10-6 pinned & recessed
                            58 pinned & recessed
                            57 pinned & recessed
                            I'm still an idiot!

Hey LennyWayne
                            After finally starting shooting my semi-autos. I had been a hard headed stubborn revolver dude. I gave those "fancy pistols" shooters a hard time. Now I like semi autos mucho bettero!
                            I'm still an idiot!
                            PS: Never tried a Performance Center only cause they cost more and I'm an idiot?
                            Last edited by texaspacker; 11-21-2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X