No announcement yet.

Infrared cameras to find deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

even if the temps of an animal are cold, from the images i saw in a FLIR equipped aircraft, you can see shapes due to coloring a lot clearer than with NVG.

Comment

These would be just as effective at night right? My problem isn't so much thick brush, but tracking after the sun has gone down. This would make that job A LOT easier.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
        These would be just as effective at night right? My problem isn't so much thick brush, but tracking after the sun has gone down. This would make that job A LOT easier.
        Yep, works the same day or night

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
          I would think so unless you are looking during the day
          i work for a power company and have used the hi end ir cameras and they are awesome have thought the same about tracking deer. Nothing like night vision though. Super sensetive

Sent from my evo!!

Comment

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post
            i work for a power company and have used the hi end ir cameras and they are awesome have thought the same about tracking deer. Nothing like night vision though. Super sensetive

Sent from my evo!!
            What power company do you work for?

Comment

Doing a little digging on this and apparently FLIR offers an outdoor version already, waiting to hear back from our rep on price

Teledyne FLIR is the world leader in the design, manufacture, and marketing of thermal imaging infrared cameras.

Comment

Looks like it's going to be around $2500

Comment

Originally posted by jlptexashunter View Post
                  Looks like it's going to be around $2500
                  Yeah thats what it looks like, the cheapest model is the demo I have which is an I5( which is not a scout but for industrial use) and they are $1600, I need to find out what the differences are

Comment

I've got the $19.00 oh wait a minute the decimal point is in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                      Just a thought here, but the company I work for reps and sells Flir infrared cameras, mainly we sell them to power utilities companies and factories so they can tell if a transformer or other machine is overheating etc etc. I got to thinking, this would work for looking for a deer in some thick brush. Now it wouldn't work if the deer has been dead a long time and lost all of its body heat, but these cameras are pretty impressive and can find a heat source through some pretty thick stuff. I was thinking if you are running a high and ranch where people pay big bucks for a hunt having nice piece of equipment to help locate the animals might be worth it ( they are a little pricey, around $1900 for the hand held units) Im going to take one of our demos out this year and see just how good it works. Just a thought, anything to help hunter find their game.
                      Put one in your lunchbox next time you come to Victoria. I'll treat you to beer and wings for it.

Comment

Look at the ones marketed to fire departments. Ultra rugged, you can actually stand on them and not hurt them, good batteries too. On the other hand....I think the Bullard camera we have was right at 20k and the MSA brand ones were about 12k.

Comment

Emailed my friend about his.

He uses this one in his business.

Said He gave $10K for it 4 years ago.

Even having seen it in action, I can't imagine forking over that kinda cash for a "hunting aid".

Comment

get one before they are ruled illegal. (for hunting anything but pigs)

*Not acceptable for P & Y entries.....consult your local rep.

Comment

Originally posted by CutTheLoop View Post
                              Emailed my friend about his.

He uses this one in his business.

Said He gave $10K for it 4 years ago.

Even having seen it in action, I can't imagine forking over that kinda cash for a "hunting aid".
                              Yeah they can get pretty $$$$$, this i5 is the demo I have that Im going to mess around with it runs $1595.00, still $$$$ but just curious to see how it does.

Bad wiring and fuses tend to heat up as they fail, hiding from sight until the problem becomes “self-evident.” Fortunately, thermal imaging instantly make those hot spots clearly visible so you can troubleshoot electrical systems quickly, and make repairs immediately.

Comment

That is very cool. I would think that some of the high end outfits would have no problem spending $2500.00 to have that around the lodge.

Comment

Working...
                                X