Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freer: Rattlesnake Handler Bit

"I'll be ready for next year".

A 21-year-old Freer man is recovering from a rattlesnake bite, and doctors are crediting the quick thinking of his father for saving his thumb after the bite.

Snake handler Eugene De Leon was preparing rattlesnakes in a pit for the snake show at the Freer Rattlesnake Round-Up Friday night when he was bitten by a two-foot long rattlesnake on the inside of his left thumb.

A veteran snake-handler, De Leon and his father, Eugene De Leon Sr., make up Snake Busters Snake Handlers in Freer. Every year, they catch and sell countless snakes. Snake Busters is also a supplier of rattlesnake meat for the Round-Up. They are also contributors to the Rattlesnake Round-Up’s famous snake show.

The younger De Leon said he was in the show’s snake pit and was attempting to move a snake. He used his hook to hold down the head, but when he reached down to grab its tail, a smaller snake curled up behind his boot struck him.

Smaller juvenile rattlesnakes, like the one that bit him, are thought of as being more dangerous because they often release more venom during a bite compared to mature snakes. So, immediately after the bite, De Leon’s father grabbed his son’s thumb and pull down in attempt to flush out as much venom as possible. The pulling caused blood and some of the yellowish venom to exit the wound before he was rushed to CHRISTUS Spohn Hospital in Alice.

De Leon was treated with 12 doses of antivenom, but he feared because of the swelling and bleeding that his thumb would be amputated. Doctors told them that his father’s quick actions to remove as much of the venom as possible immediately after the bite likely saved his thumb.

“It hurt a lot, but I’m doing better now,” De Leon said. “A lot of the swelling on my hand, my thumb and my arm has gone down. I’ll be ready for next year. Snake hunting is a lot of fun. Just don’t get them mad.”

Glad is ok

Comment

Good on the dad. That's a risky line of work

Comment

Wow....what are the odds?

Comment

You play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Good on the dad. That's a risky line of work
            ^^^X2^^^

When you play with fire you are going to get burned. At least, the dad had some idea on what to do after the bite.

Comment

Originally posted by El Coop View Post
              You play stupid games you win stupid prizes.
              This !

Comment

There are two types of snake handlers; those that have been bit and those going to be bit.

Comment

He seems pretty confident about getting back in the snake pit. He must not have got the doctor bill yet. If the snake bite don't kill you the coronary you have when you open that envelope up will.

Comment

Kinda like playing russian roulette.

Comment

Chingas-Domingas! ......... I wouldn't even get in a snake pit with a dead snake!

Comment

His father milked some of the venom out and then went to the hospital. So my question is do the suction devises help or not? I was always told it was a waste of time and just get to the hospital as fast as you can.

Comment

Freer: Rattlesnake Handler Bit

Good thing it didn’t bite him on his wiener

Skinny

Comment

Handling snakes is easy with proper precautions. I do it all the time. Their situation, in a pit with large numbers of snakes, that's a whole other set of dangers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                              His father milked some of the venom out and then went to the hospital. So my question is do the suction devises help or not? I was always told it was a waste of time and just get to the hospital as fast as you can.
                              In my opinion, the answer is "it depends". I was an ER Nurse for about 16 years and saw a boat load of victims of snake bites from rattlesnakes, copperheads, and water moccasins. I saw more than just a few who suffered unnecessarily from well meaning onlookers who tried to cut and extract (i.e. suck) the venom from the bites, and I saw victims who had their treatment delayed because they had to go and find ice, or a tourniquet or a, well, you get the idea - to apply to the snake bite. I've always tried to tell people that if they are bitten, make sure the threat is no longer present - I've seen onlookers get bitten because they tried to kill the snake, try to keep the victim calm, and transport immediately to a health care facility. My rule of thumb has been if you are within an hour of getting them to a health care provider, then don't worry about first aid and just get the victim to help as quickly and safely as possible. Beyond an hour - well, then it could get very interesting.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X