X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also finished the cat that's in the upper left of the first picture
    Attached Files

Comment

My little shop. It's amazing how fast you can out grow your space. My advice is when you draw up the space that you think will you need, double it!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
        Yessir LOL but I need a bigger cart!!

I like that, great idea for storing a bunch of wood in a small place. I have scrap pieces piled up on random shelves right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally had a little time to start on my work bench. I may have framed it a little heavy, but it shouldn’t go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gutting and revamping mine now... it's always been mostly storage, but now that I have spent almost a solid year on the house (for the wife), it's my time.

First things first, I decided it was time to utilize some of the previously wasted attic space, so I installed a ladder... I don't recommend EVER attempting this by yourself :/

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171226_173958.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	24526882

2nd project was the first of several work benches. I never had much luck with lighter weight, wimpy table or counter tops, so I decided THIS was was going to be a haus! The legs are all doubled 2x4 the underside of the lower shelf are 4x4. The top is 3 layers of 3/4" plywood with a 1/8" hardwood laminate top.

Heavy is good... this thing stays right where I planted it.

Name:	20180106_161838.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	24526884

After some de-clutter, it was time to finally (after 20+ year) fill cracks and paint the floor. I did this mainly because the rough concrete could really only be swept with one of the typical "shop/patio brooms", which mainly served to fill the shop with dust. Ideally I wanted to be able to use a dust mop which does a better job getting everything and minimizes airborne dust.

Name:	20180109_190951.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	24526883

Next, I added a home brew air cleaner. I did another post on it here:

Name:	20180113_204156.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	24526885

Now I am on to building a usable miter-saw station, which will be connected to a vac/cyclone air cleaner. I have 8' to the left and 3.5' to the right

Name:	20180115_174136.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	24526886

I'm also cheap, so I tend to recycle or re utilize any piece of scrap... and it beats a trip to the dump to get rid of. I have a decent stack of laminated wood flooring that I tore out for one of the wife's wish lists, so much of it it going on the walls for tool storage, magnet bars, shelves and drawer bottoms.

After the miter station, comes a glue up table. Several years ago, I scored a 5'x 40" sheet of fire-slate. I think the only reason it has hung around is that it is too heavy to get rid of, so I sacrificed a couple saw blades ripping it lengthwise down the middle to use for a couple counter tops. This stuff it HEAVY, solid and impervious to chemicals. It's the stuff they used as science lab counter tops you'd find in a high school lab...did I mention it's HEAVY?

' more to follow
            Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 01-16-2018, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
              Also finished the cat that's in the upper left of the first picture
              Holy cow!! That cat looks awesome! Great job with his eyes, he looks very lifelike.

Comment

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
                Gutting and revamping mine now... it's always been mostly storage, but now that I have spent almost a solid year on the house (for the wife), it's my time.

First things first, I decided it was time to utilize some of the previously wasted attic space, so I installed a ladder... I don't recommend EVER attempting this by yourself :/

[ATTACH]892500[/ATTACH]

2nd project was the first of several work benches. I never had much luck with lighter weight, wimpy table or counter tops, so I decided THIS was was going to be a haus! The legs are all doubled 2x4 the underside of the lower shelf are 4x4. The top is 3 layers of 3/4" plywood with a 1/8" hardwood laminate top.

Heavy is good... this thing stays right where I planted it.

[ATTACH]892502[/ATTACH]

After some de-clutter, it was time to finally (after 20+ year) fill cracks and paint the floor. I did this mainly because the rough concrete could really only be swept with one of the typical "shop/patio brooms", which mainly served to fill the shop with dust. Ideally I wanted to be able to use a dust mop which does a better job getting everything and minimizes airborne dust.

[ATTACH]892501[/ATTACH]

Next, I added a home brew air cleaner. I did another post on it here:

[ATTACH]892503[/ATTACH]

Now I am on to building a usable miter-saw station, which will be connected to a vac/cyclone air cleaner. I have 8' to the left and 3.5' to the right

[ATTACH]892504[/ATTACH]

I'm also cheap, so I tend to recycle or re utilize any piece of scrap... and it beats a trip to the dump to get rid of. I have a decent stack of laminated wood flooring that I tore out for one of the wife's wish lists, so much of it it going on the walls for tool storage, magnet bars, shelves and drawer bottoms.

After the miter station, comes a glue up table. Several years ago, I scored a 5'x 40" sheet of fire-slate. I think the only reason it has hung around is that it is too heavy to get rid of, so I sacrificed a couple saw blades ripping it lengthwise down the middle to use for a couple counter tops. This stuff it HEAVY, solid and impervious to chemicals. It's the stuff they used as science lab counter tops you'd find in a high school lab...did I mention it's HEAVY?

' more to follow

Looking good! Keep it up!

Comment

I want to build a moveable wood working table, and was going to copy JFisher's top idea of the 3 pieces of plywood. I am struggling with the size though. I want a long table, and want to incorporate my table saw on one end. For the top, I was going to use use 3 full 4'x8' sheets, glued & screwed together. But now I am wondering if 4' is too wide? Should I trim them down to 3' wide?

How wide of a table do you guys like? This will be a moveable table (casters), that I can walk all the way around, and work from any side.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                    I want to build a moveable wood working table, and was going to copy JFisher's top idea of the 3 pieces of plywood. I am struggling with the size though. I want a long table, and want to incorporate my table saw on one end. For the top, I was going to use use 3 full 4'x8' sheets, glued & screwed together. But now I am wondering if 4' is too wide? Should I trim them down to 3' wide?

How wide of a table do you guys like? This will be a moveable table (casters), that I can walk all the way around, and work from any side.
                    I had about a 4' table at one point, mostly because I was too lazy to rip a couple sheets of plywood. I found it to be way too wide for me anyway. In the end I found 36" to be just right. I actually wanted my table to be about 60" long, but the location of the new attic ladder require a little shorter table as mine wasn't intended to be mobile.

Comment

Cool, thanks! I want mine mobile so that I can push it out of the way when not in use, as my shop is not just for wood working.

Can you elaborate some on the 1/8" top? how did you attach it, and did you finish it with something?

Comment

Update:

Last night I worked on adding a vac port to the underside of the miter station.

I took the never used head from my shop vac and hot melt glued it to a piece of scrap pressed, bead board (same as underside of table). The unfinished side is pretty slick and should help funnel the dust down to the nozzle. Added another tube of caulk to seal it all up and it's pulling a god vacuum just from a dinky shop vac... can't wait to see how a larger version will work.

Name:	20180116_203553_renamed_17106.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	24526979

Name:	20180116_203600_renamed_24788.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	24526980

Name:	20180116_203607_renamed_19010.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	24526981

Name:	20180116_205521_renamed_7063.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	24526982

Comment

Originally posted by ghenson82 View Post
                          Holy cow!! That cat looks awesome! Great job with his eyes, he looks very lifelike.
                          Why thank you kindly!! The customer was very pleased

Comment

All of you guys have nice shops.
                            I built my wood shop 25 years ago before cell phone cameras. So no pics of when it was clean. Too embarrassed to take a pic now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Y'all are inspiring me to get my shop organized

Comment

I have an old Sears table saw. I need to change out the blade. The fence on this saw is terrible. The casters are shot as well. Does anyone have mods or updates for a table saws? I have to do something with it, the fence is driving me crazy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X