Ways to quiet down a generator???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to quiet down a generator???

I am wanting to quiet down a generator for camping. Wife wants to go camping and told her the only way I would do it is to take a A/C with us for the tents. I have a generator but it is really noisey. What is a good way to quiet it down?? Anybody ever done this!!

Thanks,
    Brad

Long extension cords and put it over the hill.

Dig a hole and put the generator in the hole.

Park the truck away from camp and put the generator on the other side of the truck with anything else that can deflect the sound.

Comment

You can make a sound barrier out of some plywood and face the exhaust away.

Add a larger muffler.

Comment

2 or 4 stroke? I have had some luck retrofitting a small quiet car muffler to limit exhaust noise but the engine noise on a 2 stroke is substantial and not quieted any by a muffler.

Comment

I put a small car muffler on a 4 stroke genny, made a huge difference

Comment

We had a hunting camp generator that we built a plywood/shingle shroud around (still accessible for oil, gas, etc) and then built a 1/2" pipe adaptor from the exhaust tapping up about 15' off the ground and screwed the muffler back into the adapter...probably cut the noise to at least 1/3 of the previous level but not really practical for camping.

I googled "quiet generator mufflers" and found this along with some other links...

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm

Comment

We built a 3 sided box with a roof to cover ours. Open side and exhaust facing away from you. Also, used a 100' heavy extension cord to carry the load. Worked real well year after year.
              Of course you can buy a Honda and you'll have quiet.

Comment

This is a 4 stroke engine and I was thinking about the shroud and the plywood ideas but was wanting to see what else was out there.

Thanks guys!!

Comment

Somehow adapt the output of your current muffler to the input of a larger one. Here's a link to building a "Swiss muffler" to quiet aircraft, maybe it would work too?

Comment

I saw one once that had an automobile muffler attached with a long pipe running straight up in the air, higher than the roof on the motor home and it was quiet.

Comment

Good thread!

Comment

Stay in a motel.

Comment

I can't believe nobody has stated the obvious yet:

Turn it Off!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad75 View Post
                            This is a 4 stroke engine and I was thinking about the shroud and the plywood ideas but was wanting to see what else was out there.

Thanks guys!!

Brad PM me the dimensions of your generator and I will build you a muffling box to put it in this week at work. I'll bring it out to you in a couple weeks and you will be good to go.

Comment

portable ac unit. Fits on an icechest. Just need to figure out how to plug in the 12v cig adapter to something. (Park close!)

Comment

Working...
                              X