No announcement yet.

Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went with guys who had gone before and was in elk every trip. You have to cover some ground and you need to be able to go probably 7 to 10 miles a day. We hunted between 9600 and 12000 feet. As long as you allow yourself enough time you will have a chance. But no way I'd take my recurve. It would be carbon spyder time.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Your most likely going bumble around for a week and come back empty handed even if you pay a Guide that's hunting

Comment

A week isn't enough on a diy.

Comment

Originally posted by Restless View Post
          Your most likely going bumble around for a week and come back empty handed even if you pay a Guide that's hunting

Haha yeah that possibility is always there!! I'm good with that I guess. It may end up being a DIY hunt after all. We'll see how things turn out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Be interested to see what you decide, CRM.

Comment

I am not against guides or outfitters by any stretch. If I were going solo, then that would be the way to go. If I were going on a very limited draw hunt for a monster, that is how I would go too.

But for a week of fun, chasing elk, I would rather DIY much much cheaper with a bunch if friends.

I look at it like the Javi hunts I have been on. You can pay $1500 to go on a 2 day guided hunt to kill a javi and a hog on a ranch that has a lodge, etc. But the $450 TBH group hunt that is 4 days, and we sleep in ranch hand style quarters, cooking for ourselves and finding the critters ourselves really can't be beat.

Just look at the writeups from DIY elk hunts vs Outfitter hunts on here and you will see a striking difference. Even the guys that fail have plenty to share and talk about.

Again, nothing wrong with outfitter/guided hunts. It really boils down to cost/benefit and your personal comfort zones.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                I'm not 100% opposed to a DIY hunt. I just don't have ANY elk hunting experience. And I'd have time to save up the cash for a guided hunt by the 2018 season. For you guys that have done a DIY hunt, did you go up and scout before the hunt? Or do elk move around too much for that to even be possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I have been the last four years in a row DIY. I have shot every year. Missed twice and killed two bulls. Note: they are farther than they appear lol
                I like to make a trip in July to scout but can't always make it. You don't have to know how to call or even know how to hunt Elk.
                I just hunt like I would if I was deer hunting. Find heavy trails, water sources and wallows and wait down wind. You should go this year and find a good area with Elk and learn all you can. Each year you will learn more.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampGhost View Post
                  I have been the last four years in a row DIY. I have shot every year. Missed twice and killed two bulls. Note: they are farther than they appear lol
                  I like to make a trip in July to scout but can't always make it. You don't have to know how to call or even know how to hunt Elk.
                  I just hunt like I would if I was deer hunting. Find heavy trails, water sources and wallows and wait down wind. You should go this year and find a good area with Elk and learn all you can. Each year you will learn more.
                  Thanks Corey!! I was hoping you'd chime in, I know you've done pretty good. It looks like something may possibly be coming together. I might holler at you in the next few days to ask a few questions if you don't mind.

Comment

I've never been on a guided hunt and probably never will. I just prefer to experience and learn things For myself.
                    Fwiw, if you want to ever kill an elk ( or anything else) with your recurve then leave the other weapons at home.
                    No way I'd take anything but my longbow. But that's me

Comment

Randy when I'm on a hunt like that my priorities are different. I've killed two with a rifle and missed one with a compound bow. I kill a couple with my compound I would feel differently but it's still going to cost a lot of money and time. It is tough getting a bull within 40 yards. I would need it 20 or less with my recurve.

Comment

Hey Gary, I wasn't bashing anyone or anything. Sorry if it came across that way.
                        I just meant that I have different goals and feel differently about it than some. I've been on several hunts that were pretty costly without killing an animal. But it's more about the hunt and the time spent alone or with others. I've never been concerned about the time or money involved or viewed it as a waste if I didn't kill anything. There are several animals on my list of must haves. And every one of them will be with a bow that I make or nothing at all. It's all about what your own goals are.
                        I.e... I once hunted a huge hog for long time with my bow, the one time I took a rifle I killed him. I've regretted it ever since.

Comment

I wouldn't fault anybody for taking a compound on a hunt like that...but after putting pen to paper..if I go the DIY route, which I'm pretty sure I will now, I won't have a whole lot more money tied up than what I spend for a week at First Point, or a hunt at Big Oak where I kill an exotic. And I have no problem doing that with trad gear. So I'll be taking my recurve for sure. I don't have to kill an elk for it to be a success, I just want to elk hunt. I'd be stoked with any legal elk, and still ok with coming home empty handed. But I usually have good luck for some reason, so I feel good about it!!

Comment

Nah Randy it's not your fault I waited too late in life to take this quest and my inexperience limits my confidence.

Comment

$500 for tag. $300 in fuel. $200 in food. Money for gear you don't have like a camp stove or big tent, quality sleeping bag etc. There's a lot going into it. For example, how are you getting that animal out if it dies 5 miles from camp? When I hunted in a group of 4 we packed it out. In my 20s I could carry an elk hind quarter for miles. Today . . . I would want to hire it out it it were far from the road.

Comment

Ryan if you want to go DIY I can can get you some gear and areas to check out.

Comment

Working...
                                X