Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk Hunt

So I've been kicking it around, and I think I'm going to book my first ever out of state hunt. Not for this year, but probably for fall of 2018. Anybody have any ideas for Colorado elk guides who have a history of success with trad hunters? I had thought about a DIY hunt, but I don't know jack about hunting elk and I don't want to go bumble around for a week and then drive home empty handed since I don't know what I'm doing. So I'm planning to use an outfitter. With that said I'm not interested in a monster bull as much as I am just hunting elk. Honestly I'd probably shoot a cow elk as quick as she turned broadside...

Colorado wouldn't be my go to state.

Comment

Yeah...I'm just thinking the drives not horrible, and I wouldn't have to pay to have my elk shipped back and all the hassle of flying, rental cars, all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're just interested in getting an elk. Colorado will give you your best chance at harvesting an elk. They have the largest herd and the most over the counter units.

Comment

They also have the most hunters. Archery success rates are low. An outfitter helps. Private land helps more. I've done 4 DIY elk hunts. All in Colorado. 3 rifle and 1 archery. Should have had a full tag on each trip. But that's when I was young and could cover a lot of ground. A drop camp is something I would like to do. Have chatted some with an outfitter. We were going to book for this year but buying the land sucked up all our money.

Comment

Do your research if your doing a drop camp. Lots of guys circling through some of those outfits

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              They also have the most hunters. Archery success rates are low. An outfitter helps. Private land helps more. I've done 4 DIY elk hunts. All in Colorado. 3 rifle and 1 archery. Should have had a full tag on each trip. But that's when I was young and could cover a lot of ground. A drop camp is something I would like to do. Have chatted some with an outfitter. We were going to book for this year but buying the land sucked up all our money.
              You're correct. But, Colorado and Idaho, are about the only states that a non-resident can get an over-the counter tag without drawing. I've done 2 elk hunts in Colorado, 1 rifle and 1 archery, and 1 in Wyoming with a rifle and am still elkless.

Comment

I really want to hunt elk as well. I think however that I will do the DIY route with OTC tags. Archery success rates are indeed low, and I figure paying 4x-6x the amount for an outfitter where I can't be flexible on dates would be alot to put on the line.

I will not do back country either. I will trailhead camp instead and will move miles in truck to increase odds. I have no problems killing an elk a mile from a road.... in fact, I would prefer it.

It is colorado, I will find time to fly fish in the down times to make it worth the trip!

I just don't think I would learn much from an outfitter either... in fact, ideally, I would like to do a DIY with an experienced DIYer.

These of course are musings of ignorant non-elk hunter.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I did a guided hunt last year in Montana but had bad weather the whole week. Guided is more expensive but going to an unfamiliar area would be a waste of time for me without a guide. I did book the hunt again this year .The camp there was very nice all meals included , the hunt was rough a lot of walking up and down and felt worse because of the rain and mud. I was the only trad hunter there so some people were interested in what bow I was shooting. I spoke with some of the hunters there one of them said this is their 18th trip one showed me some pictures of the elks and bear he had shot over the years.

Comment

Texas panhandle

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Look at Fishtail Ranch out of Chama NM. They hunt private land in NM and public in Colorado. Did a hunt with them few years back and a top notch group.

Comment

I just realized my post was pretty pointless to the real topic. Sorry bout that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

DIY , OTC elk in Colorado can be done and done successfully. I have done it the last two years and taken a bull both years ( 5x5 and a 4x4 ) and have seen some really nice bulls but I'm not one on passing shots. I go to have fun and kill an elk , just go to a foot traffic only area and get several miles in and hunt. I have done a total of 5 DIY - OTC elk hunts and killed 3 bulls with a recurve , with a little research and good gear and boots on the ground anyone can do it.

,,,Sam,,,

Comment

I'm not 100% opposed to a DIY hunt. I just don't have ANY elk hunting experience. And I'd have time to save up the cash for a guided hunt by the 2018 season. For you guys that have done a DIY hunt, did you go up and scout before the hunt? Or do elk move around too much for that to even be possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X