No announcement yet.

Rem 700 build suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could take that 280 and ream it to 280ai then you’d essentially have 7 mag performance already. After that go with the .264 then you’d have the spectrum covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
      You could take that 280 and ream it to 280ai then you’d essentially have 7 mag performance already. After that go with the .264 then you’d have the spectrum covered

It's been a thought. But..the 280 shoots great so for now just going to let it be.

Comment

I see you are in Edna. There is a great gun shop in Victoria. Look at Crossroads Precision Rifles. They are on Facebook as well. I had them build a rifle for me and worked on several more all are shooters.

Comment

Good choice on the 264 win mag. I run 140 Bergers at 3230. Rifle is a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by gvick View Post
            I see you are in Edna. There is a great gun shop in Victoria. Look at Crossroads Precision Rifles. They are on Facebook as well. I had them build a rifle for me and worked on several more all are shooters.

Awesome. I'll check them out. Local is always a good thing, I'm surprised I never heard of them

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
              Awesome. I'll check them out. Local is always a good thing, I'm surprised I never heard of them
              I sent you a pm with contact info.

Comment

Well, per gvicks suggestion followed up by a phone call to Crossroads Precision it sounds like I found my smith. Russell was great to talk to and it sounds like we are both on the same page for the overall build. I'm extremely happy to be able to keep this local and will likely be visiting their shop in the next week or so to talk more specifics after the barrel and trigger arrive.

Comment

That’s awesome. Glad you found something close.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Things are getting real now. All the parts are in.
                    Going to make a visit to the smith this week and look everything over and talk options, will probably wait until the holidays are out of the way before continuing.

Comment

I think your will be happy with the 264 Win Mag and it is a good round. To get the most from it reloading is a good thing, or at least it is for me and my 264. Didn't see this earlier or would be suggesting Live Oak Accuracy in Wylie, TX. Scott builds some very good rifles and will build it like you want.

Pillar and glass bedding should be good to go for the stock and I doubt he barrel channel needs any material removed and if it does that I a simple thing for a good smith. Scott actually turned a barrel blank to match what we channeled out of the stock on my rifle that he did to match. Great wood to metal finish on it now and if I want another just like it he has the CNC programs used to do that work.

Comment

Well I posted a pic but I can't even see it now.

Yessir reloading is in the cards but not right away. And for the smith I'm going to use a local guy rather than ship parts all over. Crossroads precision rifles here in Victoria. Talked to the guy a week or so ago, was super nice and when I told him want I wanted sounded like nothing would be an issue and he was familiar with the caliber so all good so far.

Comment

Sounds good and there are a lot of good smiths out there that can work with the 700 actions. That is part of the beauty of the 700, it is not complicated in any way and easy to work with. Just wish Remington would do a little more careful work with them before pushing them out the door for their factory rifles.

Comment

After talking with Russell and discussing what it would run to make this laminate stock be everything I wanted it was just going to be a little more than what I considered worth it.
                            That said, Red Hawk rifles has grayboe stocks 20% off so that was an obvious choice for me given the great reviews I’ve been hearing.

Decided on a grayboe terrain in a tan with black web.
                            I hadn’t seen a ton of reviews on this model since it’s new but the flush cup sling studs on the side and the dual studs up front were a cool plus. Not to mention it fell I between that M5 stock design and a modern hunting stock. Should fit my needs well with the heavy barrel

Also decided to fully blueprint the action and time the bolt as well as go with the m16 style extractor.

Comment

Just in case you haven’t made up your mind on the magnum, I’ve got a 700 long action standard bolt that I’m wanting to trade for a magnum. Let me know if you’re interested.

Comment

If I didn’t already have all the parts for the gun I might take you up on that. But pretty much settled in on the .264

Comment

Working...
                                X