Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
    From blue west, the tiny cove just east of Martin's canyon to be precise. I went the normal route down the dirt road to the second gate and then on the trail all the way to Martins.
    Ok cool deal. How long did it take to get down to martins?

Comment

Not long, if I had to guess I would say 30-40 mins. Did not look like many other hunters had been on that trail yet, saw one other foot print and tons of deer tracks.

There is a spot on that trail close to where you park where you pass the gas pump. I have not figured out why yet bet there have always been tons of fresh deer tracks in that area. I have never hunted it or seen deer there.. just a LOT tracks. Dude_Briggs have you ever noticed that? If you know about where I am talking about, you have any clue what is going on there? Here I have the spot marked with the yellow pin: https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GRvD4tZ.png

Comment

I haven't spent much time in that area, not sure

Comment

Reckon they are coming down that road headed to that little canyon?

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
            Reckon they are coming down that road headed to that little canyon?
            I guess so, maybe that is where they are getting to water.

Comment

Thinking about hunting this area on the 6th for a just a en evening hunt. From the threads it looks discouraging, any recommended place where I can pop in with the bow? New to bow hunting so I have a big curve this year! Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Not trying to be discouraging, it's just tough hunting. If you love "the hunt", learning your game and putting in your you time will love Meredith. If your measure of success is going home with horns every trip out, Meredith will be your worst nightmare. I've killed quite a few deer but I guarantee you this, the lil ol' mulie spike I killed there this year is my biggest trophy and only the guys out there hiking and chasing these same mule deer understand why

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Briggs View Post
                  Not trying to be discouraging, it's just tough hunting. If you love "the hunt", learning your game and putting in your you time will love Meredith. If your measure of success is going home with horns every trip out, Meredith will be your worst nightmare. I've killed quite a few deer but I guarantee you this, the lil ol' mulie spike I killed there this year is my biggest trophy and only the guys out there hiking and chasing these same mule deer understand why

That's the truth. I lived 5 minutes from the lake for 3 years and never came close to killing something with my bow. I killed 3 deer total there, all with a rifle, and that's not easy to do either.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Briggs View Post
                    Spot on, dude briggs, MUCH respect for that spike! I simply tell my wife and family that I go out there for exercise! Been doing it for years, never a bow kill and only one doe with gun. I hunted really hard this bow season and didn't even get close. I did learn a ton and saw a lot of deer BEFORE they saw me and I am in much better shape now.

One thing to note, it is gun season starting Sat. first lite so **everyone** has to wear the hunter orange. I am switching to the gun and going to try and get a meat Doe Sat. morning.

Your best bet might be this trail up in middle plum creek, it is a nice quiet horse trail, you might find something on it. The trail goes on for miles, I usually just walk in slow and quiet and then walk back.

Comment

Pm sent

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

A good read for info on hunting Lake Meredith. Sure wish the pictures were still there but worth the read: https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1306695

Comment

That was good read, thanks

Comment

Thanks for the info, just trying to get out and get some Bow time and learn. Will keep you posted!

Comment

Ha! That's my post. If you use Chrome or Firefox, get the Photobucket add-in, and you'll be able to see the pics.

Here he is on the wall. The one to his left is a Cooke County buck, and the Euro mount is one I took at Matador on a draw hunt.

Last edited by Log; 11-04-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Very nice Log, small world, and that extension worked for me! Great write up on that hunt, enjoyed the read man!

Comment

Working...
                                X