No announcement yet.

Calling/ Luring Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just ordered mine. I have used the hoochie mama with no success. I am a sucker for gear. My backpack has had to be replaced several times because the straps rip out because I carry so much crap to the stand. Hopefully this one will work, and not be some more snake oil.

Comment

It does sound like a axis roar I just need more practice to get the growl or gurgle sound at the end of the roar.

Comment

Just ordered 2, I've heard that sound in the woods and did not know it was axis. I had thought it was more like an elk bugle

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
          The bark is an alarm sound akin to a doe snorting at you.
          They use the bark for multiple reasons. One is to alert like you said. Another is to locate the herd when one has strayed. That is why you can sometimes hear two of them barking from different areas. They are trying to locate each other.

Comment

you may be right... But...the only time I have heard them bark... is right behind me and scares the crap out of me

as much as they are a herd animal, I can see them calling to regroup.

Comment

I bought an EZY AXIS call a couple weeks ago in ingram. at first i souned like a wounded wolverine but after 2 weeks of practice im close. i hear them roaring all around my place in rocksprings so now i can answer back.

Comment

I have one of the calls have to say I am not impressed with the overall performance

Comment

Mine was delivered today. Much to my wife’s chagrin, I am practicing tonight. Hoping for the best next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                    Mine was delivered today. Much to my wife’s chagrin, I am practicing tonight. Hoping for the best next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Yep. Sounds familiar.

Comment

Any luck with the calls this weekend?

Comment

I tried it in one spot. No luck. But that was the pasture where the landowner has all his goats right now, and they're all having babies. He's been riding his 4wheeler through them 2 or 3 times a day, and we didn't see any axis in that part of the ranch.

Comment

I've tried mine over a couple of weekends with no results. Definitely need some practice. Also, these are free range axis. Not sure where they are when I call but they are definitely around at night or the times that I'm not out. Also, considered that maybe they hear the call and run the other direction

Comment

I've been waiting to hear axis close by to see if it will lure them out. But they have left our area again for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by Grady_jones View Post
                              I have one of the calls have to say I am not impressed with the overall performance
                              I, too, am disappointed. I am an excellent elk caller. I know how to use calls. I have tried this call every-which-way, but can only get it to sound like an axis about 1-out-of-every-20 tries, and then it has to be very soft. It's a very thin line to go from axis-resonance to the sound of a dying pig. The diaphragm is not going to last very long, either.

Comment

The call is almost identical to the "snuff can" turkey calls that have been around for years. I have a couple and will admit that I am not the greatest caller on one of them for turkeys. I hunt with Ronnie "Cuz" Strickland from Mossy Oak from time to time and he can really talk turkey on one of these calls. He can also get an amazing amount of volume out of one and blows so hard that he tears the latex up several times a day.
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X