Need help with Garner SP exotic hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Garner SP exotic hunt

Who has been? Drew January 10-12. Rifle. Any tips? What do I need to do? Expect? I know it is assigned blinds. Do I just take normal corn? Gonna haul dads camper there if Harvey was kind enough to leave it in beeville in one piece. First draw hunt so I'm a rookie here. Any help is greatly appreciated

No help but should be high success rate.

Comment

Congrats, no help here

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
        No help but should be high success rate.
        Shows 20%....

Comment

Never done it but believe people say you get dropped off in blinds and have to stay in them. Use to be high success rates but not anymore since they started whipping out the axis with choppers the last few years...

In for responses

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            Never done it but believe people say you get dropped off in blinds and have to stay in them. Use to be high success rates but not anymore since they started whipping out the axis with choppers the last few years...

In for responses
            I'm happy to go. It's worth a shot for $85 lol

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              I'm happy to go. It's worth a shot for $85 lol
              Yes sir it is!
              Best of luck also

Comment

Thank you. I'm assuming all other exotics are not allowed. I know there's other stuff there. Bow hunts say unlimited exotic mammals. Rifle says unlimited axis with 1 fork antlered buck

Comment

I went on archery exotic hunt there last year it was a hard hunt I saw a bunch of animals but not in bow range from a ground blind I should have taken a tree stand. I got drawn again this year for an gun antlerless / spike hunt with unlimited axis Jan 1st-3rd be sure to take some chaffhaye alfalfa that do like that you can get it in Leakey at the feed store Good Luck on your hunt.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

My son and I hunted it last year on an a/s hunt and he got an axis doe but I struck out. Take corn but apparently the best bait is fritos or other types of chips as they eat that alot when campers leave it behind.

Comment

It has been a few years since my son was drawn. Now he was drawn on a rifle hunt. Back then, they would drive you to your blind, tell you which direction you could shoot and which shooting lane you could shoot down. You can only shoot down the allowed lanes. The staff really was not much help. I remember while I was helping my son clean his deer, the young man next to us was looking around. I think he grand dad or someone had brought him. The poor boy didn't have a clue what he needed to do to gut his deer and before I could get to him to offer help, he drive an 10" Bowie knife all the way in and was sawing his way up. What a mess! No help at all from the staff. They didn't even help load the amnimals. I didn't need or expect any, but I did see some other hunters struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                        It has been a few years since my son was drawn. Now he was drawn on a rifle hunt. Back then, they would drive you to your blind, tell you which direction you could shoot and which shooting lane you could shoot down. You can only shoot down the allowed lanes. The staff really was not much help. I remember while I was helping my son clean his deer, the young man next to us was looking around. I think he grand dad or someone had brought him. The poor boy didn't have a clue what he needed to do to gut his deer and before I could get to him to offer help, he drive an 10" Bowie knife all the way in and was sawing his way up. What a mess! No help at all from the staff. They didn't even help load the amnimals. I didn't need or expect any, but I did see some other hunters struggle.
                        That's sad. I'll certainly help anyone I can

Did y'all see a fair number of deer? What are the chances I'll get a shot at an axis?

Comment

My buddy and I went last year. I never saw a deer. Not even a whitetail. 20+ hunters and only 4 axis does killed. Numbers are way down due to contract killing in the park over the last couple of years. It's like everyone else is saying...you are assigned a blind with very narrow lanes. My blind had about a 45 degree field of view and was about 40 yards long. Wish you luck but I'm afraid you will be as disappointed as we were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This has been the best discussion of the Garner hunt, last few pages are recent (last year). This hunt is run in a much more strict and restrictive manner than most of the other drawn hunts, which it OK, but you should know what to expect going in.

Comment

Attached are pics of blind locations from Jan 2017Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3154.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	24510535Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3155.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	24510536

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X