Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What year did Grayson County start Archery only hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What year did Grayson County start Archery only hunting?

Does anyone know when or why?

No one knows! Dang

Comment

I think it was the same year grayson co. started taking away private property rights.

Comment

It has been archery only for as long as I can remember. Like in the 80s and all. And the state sets the allowed weapons, not the county. So it has nothing to do with the county overstepping the rights of land owners.

Residents petitioned the state to keep it archery only, so they did.

Comment

dang my bad,, thought for sure this issue was in comissioner court in 07 0r 08.

Comment

If they were to open gun season up there all kinds of State deer records would fall.

Comment

Originally posted by jruss View Post
              dang my bad,, thought for sure this issue was in comissioner court in 07 0r 08.
              You may be thinking about crossbows.....

It was archery only in 1990 for sure...my first year in the area. not sure the exact year it started though.

Comment

don't get me wrong I am all for it. some guys at work asked me why so I figured I would ask you guys?

Comment

Was in the 1980's....just can't remember exact year. And we prefer to keep it archery season

Comment

Originally posted by jruss View Post
                    I think it was the same year grayson co. started taking away private property rights.
                    Grayson County didn't take away anything....

Comment

Was curious myself as I'm going to be building out there and hunting

Comment

So how did it come about then? I have not picked up a rifle for deer in 4 years. i wouldnt shoot a rifle if it were leagal. I just think it is wrong to tell anyone what they can and cant do on thier own land.

Comment

GRAYSON COUNTY, Tex. -- Deer hunting is a time-honored tradition for many Texomans, but this year questions have been raised about changing hunting laws in Grayson County. County commissioners came down on the side of tradition Monday when they discussed whether allow rifle hunting during whitetail deer season. Stephanie Brletic has the details.

Grayson County is the only Texas County that does not allow rifle use during white-tail deer season, but one anonymous Tarrant County resident is asking Texas Parks and Wildlife to change that.

Grayson County commissioners voted to continue bow-use only on Monday.

Brock Benson, president of the Grayson County Whitetail Association, is happy with the decision.

"We feel that archery hunters may take a little more pride in managing the herd and allowing the herd to grow and allowing it to mature, to get to a healthy age where they can be taken from the herd without causing damage to the herd overall."

Benson says that if rifles are used, the number of deer harvested could double. Resident Bear Smith feels similarly. He says using a rifle makes it easier and quicker to kill more deer, since a rifle can hit the animals from 800-900 yards away, but using a bow takes more skill, since the range is only 40 yards.

"In Grayson County, we have a lot of big deer. If we turn around and start letting people shoot them with guns, we're going to have a serious problem with our deer population because anyone can shoot one with a gun," Smith says.

There are other issues, such as stray bullets that could harm livestock or even residents. Those were risks Grayson County Judge Drue Bynum does not want to take.

"We want to give people quality of life, at the same time we know our population is growing, and if we go out and allow a firearm season for the whitetail harvest in Grayson County, then as the county fills up with people, we feel like that becomes a real safety issue."

There was not a single person in favor of allowing rifle hunting at Monday’s meeting. Citizens actually applauded for the unanimous no-rifle proclamation, a decision Bynum stands behind.

"By being proactive in what we did, we'll send a loud and clear message to the Texas Parks and Wildlife. Senator Estes and Representative Phillips have both said that they would support the decision that came forth today."

Bynum tells us Texas Parks and Wildlife does have the ability to overrule the commissioners' decision, but he does not expect that to happen.

copy and paste off of kxii website. from 2008. so i guess grayson co court of comish had some say in it.

Comment

This is 6 years old. Why are you bringing it up?

Comment

Very interesting....

Comment

Working...
                              X