No announcement yet.

New State Record from Grayson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THIS IS NOT THE BUCK THIS THREAD IS ABOUT.

But it is another GREAT buck from Grayson County. This one was killed by Ray Petree on opening weekend. It's been officially net scored at 205 1/8 inches N/T and is number two in Grayson County at the moment.

Story of Petree's buck:

Pic of Petree's buck is at the link below:

Last edited by Hagerman Bowhunter; 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

I guess if anyone should post the pic of the first buck in the article, it should be me.

I got my first look at the deer in 2009. He was following some does, but stayed well back in the brush and never offered a clean shot. I knew he was a monster then, but was just unsure what he was exactly. My suspicions were confirmed a week later when I checked my cam to find monster 10. At that time, he was a clean 10 with no stickers or drops. Everyone i showed the deer to, including myself believed the deer would go 180". Long story short, many sleepless nights and uneventful sits were all that i got that season.

The next two years went by with no sign of the deer. I had a few up and comers, and one super wide 8 that I chased around, but again no luck. The deer I had seen in 2009 still haunted my dreams. I was sure he had died of old age, or maybe been hit by a car, or any combination of things that deer have to worry about in the wild.

June of this year brought new promise as I had several new deer on camera, including one very large bodied deer with huge bases. Could it be him? Summer pushed through, and i recieved the great news that I had been drawn for segment B at Hagerman. The rest of the summer and early fall months were spent dreaming about one of those giant deer everyone talks about coming down my trail and offering the shot of a lifetime!

The time had finally come for my hunt at the infamous "H". My spot had been picked, my stand was ready, clothes washed, and all the other little things we do as bow hunters had been done. I left out early thursday morning to get ready for the marathon that was sure would ensue once the time to enter arrived. Well as luck would have it, there was no need for the bike and trailer that i had loaded down and trained with all summer. We were with a small group of like minded stay all day hunters, which is all you can ask for on a public hunt. Stands were then hung, and we headed home to get ready for the following morning. On the way home, i decided to check my camera at my place one last time before the weekend. I slid the card in, turned on the camera and started going through the pics. About the tenth pic, my jaw hit the floor. It was him! And bigger than I had ever imagined. He still had his typical frame with the addition of multiple kickers, split brows, junk at the bases, an amazing drop, and the mass! Needless to say I had a very big decision to make. I decided to stay true to the course and hunt the h.

I saw tons of deer in the next few days. Passed on a nice, young ten. I've never hurt so bad from sitting in my life, but i stuck it out and tried to get a doe for my free pass for next year. My buddy ended up passing on a very nice buck the first day, and has kicked himself ever since. He did manage to shoot a doe and punch his ticket for next year.

The month was frustrating to say the least. I had multiple pictures of the deer, but only on A Shift while I was at the fire station. I was pretty sure he had a shift calender of some kind, there was no other explanation. I saw every deer that he had been hanging out with, every doe that he had chased, yet i just couldnt catch up with him. He caused many sleepless nights, sore body from long sits evry chance I got. Every now and then I would change the scenery a little and go to oklahoma where I missed a slam dunk shot on a doe at twenty yards. Shot high, or maybe she ducked. I wasnt sure which, but i definately didnt understand it. I finally got another shot at a doe and nailed her which brought my confidence up a little. I hit her higher than i wanted, but still a double lung. A couple weekends later, the same scenario played out south of brownwood. High hit, but a dead doe.

I didnt put much stock into the last weekend. I had to work on Sunday, but i figured i would hunt hard on friday and saturday and then call it good. It looked like this season would be a repeat of 2009. Friday evening was uneventful. Nothing came in, and only the small group of does i had watched all season showed up on the camera. There was one picture of a small six point, which was followed by another pic with the big deer in it. He had showed back up just three days prior!

The next morning came too soon. I hit the snooze one too many times and contemplated not even getting out. It was chilly, i was tired, and I really just wanted deer season to be over. I eventually drug myself out of bed, however, i didnt have time to take a shower and i had not washed my clothes from the night before. I checked the wind....not good. I decided to go ahead and go for it. Why not right?

I arrived at the stand 45 minutes before daylight, not my usual hour. But something in the back of my mind just seemed "right". The feeder went off and nothing. I sat for 30 minutes with no sign of life anywhere. I was very disheartened, to the point i was thinking of cutting out early. I had obligations later in the morning anyways. I decided to give it one more hour. Besides, this was the last morning hunt of the season for me. I was looking down when i finally heard the tale tale sound of a stck snapping under a deers foot. It was the little six. My heart raced a little, knowing the company that he was recently keeping. Just then i started seeing another deers legs through the brush and my heart began to race even more. Another small buck ahd made his appearance. The scenario repeated itself once again. Another small buck had made his way to my set up. And thats when I saw the "drop".

The other deer had made their way and began feeding at twenty yards. I dont know what happened in my mind, but as soon as i saw my dream buck, i went into all business mode. I knew what I had to do, I knew that I was capable of doing it, it was my time. Nerves soon left and the deer continued on to my setup. The other young bucks stepped aside to let the giant that had eluded me for three years come into the twenty yard shooting lane I had made so many years ago. He fed, head down straight towards me for what seemed like five minutes when I finally got my opportunity. A noise made by one of the other bucks caused him to look up and give me the prettiest broadside shot I could have ever imagined. At twenty yards, eye to eye in a ground blind i began to slowly draw my bow. I found my anchor point with ease, watched my pins fall down to the spot they needed to be. I remember thinking to myself "shhot low, aim for the heart". I released the arrow and watched it slam into the deers side with the most beautiful sound I have ever heard, "thwack"! I watched the deer run about seventy five yards and then stop. Through the trees I could see his legs become shakey, and then he fell.

I'd like to tell you that I did the fist pumps and all the other stuff you see Waddell do, but I didn't. I folded up my chair that I had spent countlees hours in, year after year and just laid in the floor of my blind and soaked it all in. It had been done, my buck of a lifetime was down.

I made a few text to those that knew about the deer, and then called my brother in law to see if he was on shift or not because I knew I could not load the deer on my own and he would surely appreciate the deer and the hard work that went into hunting him. Smith arrived within the hour with a few of his good friends and the recovery began. I didnt tell the what I had shot, just that the deer had a big body and I knew I couldnt load him alone. I stayed calm and did not let on that I had just shot a 200" deer, just down the road from where I had grown up. The recovery was made, and I believe it was the first time I've ever been truely speechlees at the sight of a deer. He was bigger than I could have ever imagined.

We loaded him up and took hundreds of pictures, then it was off to a three year olds birthday party, Obligations right. Before I left I had to see what he would tape out at. A buddy put his magical measuring skills to work, and at the end of the tally I had what I had always dreamed of....a 200" buck. 203 4/8" to be exact. The buck sported 16 points, 22 1/2" wide, matching handle bar kickers, and a 8 1/2" drop with over 40" in mass.

This deer would not have been possible without the love and understanding of my wife. I don' know how many times i sat in that deer stand this year, but it was enough to get most men divorced. She stuck by me and let me enjoy my passion and I couldn't ask for more in a wife. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358016831.609345.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	24158429

Comment

Awesome story, awesome buck!

Comment

Originally posted by JW774 View Post
          I guess if anyone should post the pic of the first buck in the article, it should be me.

I got my first look at the deer in 2009. He was following some does, but stayed well back in the brush and never offered a clean shot. I knew he was a monster then, but was just unsure what he was exactly. My suspicions were confirmed a week later when I checked my cam to find monster 10. At that time, he was a clean 10 with no stickers or drops. Everyone i showed the deer to, including myself believed the deer would go 180". Long story short, many sleepless nights and uneventful sits were all that i got that season.

The next two years went by with no sign of the deer. I had a few up and comers, and one super wide 8 that I chased around, but again no luck. The deer I had seen in 2009 still haunted my dreams. I was sure he had died of old age, or maybe been hit by a car, or any combination of things that deer have to worry about in the wild.

June of this year brought new promise as I had several new deer on camera, including one very large bodied deer with huge bases. Could it be him? Summer pushed through, and i recieved the great news that I had been drawn for segment B at Hagerman. The rest of the summer and early fall months were spent dreaming about one of those giant deer everyone talks about coming down my trail and offering the shot of a lifetime!

The time had finally come for my hunt at the infamous "H". My spot had been picked, my stand was ready, clothes washed, and all the other little things we do as bow hunters had been done. I left out early thursday morning to get ready for the marathon that was sure would ensue once the time to enter arrived. Well as luck would have it, there was no need for the bike and trailer that i had loaded down and trained with all summer. We were with a small group of like minded stay all day hunters, which is all you can ask for on a public hunt. Stands were then hung, and we headed home to get ready for the following morning. On the way home, i decided to check my camera at my place one last time before the weekend. I slid the card in, turned on the camera and started going through the pics. About the tenth pic, my jaw hit the floor. It was him! And bigger than I had ever imagined. He still had his typical frame with the addition of multiple kickers, split brows, junk at the bases, an amazing drop, and the mass! Needless to say I had a very big decision to make. I decided to stay true to the course and hunt the h.

I saw tons of deer in the next few days. Passed on a nice, young ten. I've never hurt so bad from sitting in my life, but i stuck it out and tried to get a doe for my free pass for next year. My buddy ended up passing on a very nice buck the first day, and has kicked himself ever since. He did manage to shoot a doe and punch his ticket for next year.

The month was frustrating to say the least. I had multiple pictures of the deer, but only on A Shift while I was at the fire station. I was pretty sure he had a shift calender of some kind, there was no other explanation. I saw every deer that he had been hanging out with, every doe that he had chased, yet i just couldnt catch up with him. He caused many sleepless nights, sore body from long sits evry chance I got. Every now and then I would change the scenery a little and go to oklahoma where I missed a slam dunk shot on a doe at twenty yards. Shot high, or maybe she ducked. I wasnt sure which, but i definately didnt understand it. I finally got another shot at a doe and nailed her which brought my confidence up a little. I hit her higher than i wanted, but still a double lung. A couple weekends later, the same scenario played out south of brownwood. High hit, but a dead doe.

I didnt put much stock into the last weekend. I had to work on Sunday, but i figured i would hunt hard on friday and saturday and then call it good. It looked like this season would be a repeat of 2009. Friday evening was uneventful. Nothing came in, and only the small group of does i had watched all season showed up on the camera. There was one picture of a small six point, which was followed by another pic with the big deer in it. He had showed back up just three days prior!

The next morning came too soon. I hit the snooze one too many times and contemplated not even getting out. It was chilly, i was tired, and I really just wanted deer season to be over. I eventually drug myself out of bed, however, i didnt have time to take a shower and i had not washed my clothes from the night before. I checked the wind....not good. I decided to go ahead and go for it. Why not right?

I arrived at the stand 45 minutes before daylight, not my usual hour. But something in the back of my mind just seemed "right". The feeder went off and nothing. I sat for 30 minutes with no sign of life anywhere. I was very disheartened, to the point i was thinking of cutting out early. I had obligations later in the morning anyways. I decided to give it one more hour. Besides, this was the last morning hunt of the season for me. I was looking down when i finally heard the tale tale sound of a stck snapping under a deers foot. It was the little six. My heart raced a little, knowing the company that he was recently keeping. Just then i started seeing another deers legs through the brush and my heart began to race even more. Another small buck ahd made his appearance. The scenario repeated itself once again. Another small buck had made his way to my set up. And thats when I saw the "drop".

The other deer had made their way and began feeding at twenty yards. I dont know what happened in my mind, but as soon as i saw my dream buck, i went into all business mode. I knew what I had to do, I knew that I was capable of doing it, it was my time. Nerves soon left and the deer continued on to my setup. The other young bucks stepped aside to let the giant that had eluded me for three years come into the twenty yard shooting lane I had made so many years ago. He fed, head down straight towards me for what seemed like five minutes when I finally got my opportunity. A noise made by one of the other bucks caused him to look up and give me the prettiest broadside shot I could have ever imagined. At twenty yards, eye to eye in a ground blind i began to slowly draw my bow. I found my anchor point with ease, watched my pins fall down to the spot they needed to be. I remember thinking to myself "shhot low, aim for the heart". I released the arrow and watched it slam into the deers side with the most beautiful sound I have ever heard, "thwack"! I watched the deer run about seventy five yards and then stop. Through the trees I could see his legs become shakey, and then he fell.

I'd like to tell you that I did the fist pumps and all the other stuff you see Waddell do, but I didn't. I folded up my chair that I had spent countlees hours in, year after year and just laid in the floor of my blind and soaked it all in. It had been done, my buck of a lifetime was down.

I made a few text to those that knew about the deer, and then called my brother in law to see if he was on shift or not because I knew I could not load the deer on my own and he would surely appreciate the deer and the hard work that went into hunting him. Smith arrived within the hour with a few of his good friends and the recovery began. I didnt tell the what I had shot, just that the deer had a big body and I knew I couldnt load him alone. I stayed calm and did not let on that I had just shot a 200" deer, just down the road from where I had grown up. The recovery was made, and I believe it was the first time I've ever been truely speechlees at the sight of a deer. He was bigger than I could have ever imagined.

We loaded him up and took hundreds of pictures, then it was off to a three year olds birthday party, Obligations right. Before I left I had to see what he would tape out at. A buddy put his magical measuring skills to work, and at the end of the tally I had what I had always dreamed of....a 200" buck. 203 4/8" to be exact. The buck sported 16 points, 22 1/2" wide, matching handle bar kickers, and a 8 1/2" drop with over 40" in mass.

This deer would not have been possible without the love and understanding of my wife. I don' know how many times i sat in that deer stand this year, but it was enough to get most men divorced. She stuck by me and let me enjoy my passion and I couldn't ask for more in a wife. [ATTACH]442598[/ATTACH]

Great write up and great buck.

Comment

Nice write up sir. Actually, GREAT write up. And congrats on a heck of a buck and it sounds like it was well deserved!! Good job.

Comment

Re: New State Record from Grayson?

^^^^^^^__ omg

Comment

Wow, that means THREE 200-inch bucks have been taken in Grayson County this season!

Comment

Wow! Awesome story...congrats!!!

Comment

Awesome buck!! I hunt on the lease that AJ Downs killed the Non Typical. He will post the score soon, but I can tell you he is giant!!!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Wow, that is incredible. Let see some more pics!

Comment

Speechless

Comment

Awesome write up and great buck!

Comment

Hats off to ya. That is unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Hagerman Bowhunter View Post
                                THIS IS NOT THE BUCK THIS THREAD IS ABOUT.

But it is another GREAT buck from Grayson County. This one was killed by Ray Petree on opening weekend. It's been officially net scored at 205 1/8 inches N/T and is number two in Grayson County at the moment.

Story of Petree's buck:

Pic of Petree's buck is at the link below:

http://www.texasbiggameawards.org/im...ical_23779.jpg
                                Why take a pic of a mounted buck in a field, instead of the fireplace?

Comment

Working...
                                X