Kitchen Knife Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchen Knife Set

I've never really owned a quality kitchen knife set.

Any recommendations on a brand/model?

What price range should I be looking at?

Thanks

I like my shun’s . Also have a wustoff set and Henkel. The shun’s are my go to knives .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Plenty of good ones to have just plan on hand washing. I’ve used wustoff but settled for Chicago cutlery as I’m to lazy to hand wash. I do have a few quality butchers I use from time to time in the drawer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Kramer

Comment

Why do good knives have to be handwashed?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
            Why do good knives have to be handwashed?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dishwashers and the detergents are harsh on them and dull them quicker. You don’t have to but why pay 300+ on a something to let it get as dull as a cheap set.

Comment

Walmart

Comment

Wustoff

Comment

Cutco

Works well for years

Never sharpen another knife ever................

Comment

Custom

I’ve sharpened both Wusthof and Henkels for folks, and they’re good knives.

Comment

I second the Henkel knives. Carbon steel is muy better than stainless steel. If you get wood handles, don’t soak them or use a dishwasher. The wood swells and the pins don’t. That’s why wood knife handles get loose.

Comment

Cutco.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                          Cutco.
                          Never bought a block.
                          Kind of picked them us as needed. Eight piece steak knife set. Butchers knife. Kitchen sheers. Pizza cutter.

Lifetime guarantee with free lifetime sharpening, and they last years. Kind of simple to the simple minded cook............

Man I need a new picture. That 12 yr old grump of a dog died in February.......

Comment

I have a set of wusthof.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                              I like my shun’s . Also have a wustoff set and Henkel. The shun’s are my go to knives .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              A man who knows what he’s talking about.

Japanese knives are typically lighter, harder, and sharper. German knives are typically heavier, softer, and won’t hold an edge for as long. It’s personal preference but a lot of people who have used both prefer Japanese.

Shun’s are great bang for the buck, most people who have never used a quality knife before are blown away the first time they use them. Like jaw hanging open, scary sharp.

You don’t need to buy an expensive set. Start with a paring knife and an 8” chef’s knife, you’ll pay about $100 for the paring and $150 for the chef’s. You can add in a mid sized knife if you feel you need it, but it’s not necessary.

This would be a really nice starter set if you want 3 knives.

The Shun Premier line calls to mind as the hand-forged knives of ancient Japan. While each knife still takes at least 100 handcrafted steps to complete, the materials Shun uses are among the most advanced in the industry. Each blade has a cutting core of Shun's proprietary VG-MAX "super steel" to take and hold a pre…

Learn to use them well, then add in specialty knives you think would be useful where you find yours lacking. The honesuki is great for deboning chicken thighs, and the gokujo is awesome at removing silverskin and filleting.

Don’t spend a ton on steak knives, they’re serrated so steel quality isn’t important. Same with Cutco. I know a lot of people are happy with them, but you can get a MUCH better quality knife for less $.

Also make sure you get a good wood cutting board, don’t cut on glass, plates, or counter tops.

Comment

Working...
                              X