Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
    I just come in here to read. I am a HS baseball coach so it is fun to see the different perspectives.

We have an Athletic Policy that our kids can't play club/select during the HS season as with most HS.. Well a coaching buddies school doesn't so one of his kids parents told his son that the select coach can get him a full ride so he IS going to play... Middle of HS district... Starting Pitcher and throwing pretty dang well...... slide into second....broke leg
    That's terrible.
    Are HS slides different than Select ball slides?

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      That's terrible.
      Are HS slides different than Select ball slides?
      No honestly I think the kid must have locked his leg or something or caught a cleat. Freak accident.

We had a kid that slide into home and his cleat caught the front slide. Snapped both bones in his lower leg. This was during select. He missed a year of everything in Hs.

He now has a fear (understandable) of sliding. I finally got him to slide in a game the other day and he came to me and thanked me. I have been working on him and different slides to get over his fear and it finally worked.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
        has anyone heard anything about USSSA moving the age cutoff date from 4/30 to 8/30 next year? it would put baseball more in line with basketball and football as far as keeping most kids in the same grade in the same age classes.....just a rumor i heard.
        This rule came out this year, doubt they change again next year.

USSSA BASEBALL NEW 13-14 AGE RESTRICTIONS
        USSSA will be implementing new age restrictions for the 13U and 14U
        divisions starting in the 2017 season. The new divisions will be a
        combination of age based and school grade based. The main cutoff
        date of April 31 will remain the same. We will now include a provision
        for grade base participation. The grade bases are 7th grade for 13U
        and 8th grade for 14U, with a maximum age limit.

The new rule will read as:

14U Division
        Players who turn 15 prior to May 1 of the current season are not
        eligible unless they are in the 8th grade. Also, any player turning 16
        prior to May 1 will not be eligible.

13U Division
        Players who turn 14 prior to May 1 of the current season are not
        eligible unless they are in the 7th grade. Also, any player turning 15
        prior to May 1 will not be eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by mrddye View Post
          Anybody playing the April 29-30 Raining Bombs NIT Star Tourny? At Texas Star Park in Euless. We will be there in the 7/U Bracket. This will be our first "Select" tournament but our boys can play pretty well.

Son is #13 on the Angels. Stop and say hi if you see us around.
          [ATTACH]851010[/ATTACH]
          Looks like my younger sons team will be in this one, the NTX Generals. We are a 6u team so we will have our work cut out for us.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
            Looks like my younger sons team will be in this one, the NTX Generals. We are a 6u team so we will have our work cut out for us.

Awesome. Like I said this is our first go at a tourney like this so we are just getting our feet wet. We are far from a true competitive travel team. But we have some kids who can play. Hopefully see you out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

anyone going to be at oak grove in grapevine this weekend? my 9u is playing, we have a pool game tonight and one tomorrow...

Comment

We're at scrapyards tomorrow.. hope the weather holds out...

Comment

same here, 50% chance later tonight.

good luck

Comment

One and one... set up for 9:45 game tomorrow... Tanner had a great day... great hits and outs as catcher and pitcher (infield flies and throws to first)
                    Got a triple for 2 runs in... that our 3rd base coach got a little excited and touched him before time was called... other team was desperate so they called him on it and he was out... runs still counted.
                    Tanner made them pay by tagging out their only run home that inning at the plate.
                    Great day... now I need beer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Annnnnnd we're done...
                      Boys got banged up early..and started making little errors that snowballed into big errors ...
                      Tan still had a good game short of a couple missed grounders..
                      Cranked a worm burner past first basemen and rode the line all the way to the fence .. after he got hit home from second... he comes in, looks at me and says "swung too late".
                      Love this kid..

Comment

Question for you select parents and coaches. What is the proper etiquette for picking up a kid for a tournament? Regarding playing time and entry fee. I'm sure it varies some but curious as to what is normally done.

Comment

We had a kid picked up to take the spot of one of our kids that couldn't make it Saturday. Today had both boys and they alternated innings.
                          The fee portion still came out of our kids dues since it was needed due to him being out.

Comment

My kid gets picked up to come throw for a team. He only comes out and throws the last inning or two of close games. Team carries us as they are the ones calling needing he help.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                              Question for you select parents and coaches. What is the proper etiquette for picking up a kid for a tournament? Regarding playing time and entry fee. I'm sure it varies some but curious as to what is normally done.
                              Guest players don't pay. They come in and play where their talent dictates. That may mean a regular player sitting the bench or losing their position. Not saying that's right or wrong but that's the way it usually works.

Comment

First tournament championship

We play and coach 7U Dynasty from the Lufkin area. Great weekend for our boys as we start this journey. I used to make fun of select baseball and say there is no way I would ever do it, but boy I am eating those words now.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X