Helicopter certification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helicopter certification

I'm wanting to get my certification/license to operate a small helicopter. Maybe a 2 or 4 seater. The ranch next to me has one and they count their deer and other animals on it. Out west we have used them to move cattle out of rough stuff. I want to find out who may give these classes. Thanks

Ha, i actually looked this up the other day. From I found, it's approximately $14-16k and requires 35 hrs class time, with 35 hours fly time.

I just google DFW or Dallas helicopter certification and looked into the private license options.

Looks like fun.

Comment

As far as I know, there is no "certification" to fly rotocraft, but you can get licensed.

To get the private pilot's license will be between $10-15K, once you get your commercial pilot's license and become a certified flight instructor you can start getting paid for flying and teaching. You will probably spend between $40-50K getting your CFI.

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
        I'm wanting to get my certification/license to operate a small helicopter. Maybe a 2 or 4 seater. The ranch next to me has one and they count their deer and other animals on it. Out west we have used them to move cattle out of rough stuff. I want to find out who may give these classes. Thanks
        I started training in New Iberia Louisiana with Air Logistics right out of high school. I wanted to fly professionally, and received a scholarship to pay the fees. In 2007, it was going to cost me 35K to fully complete. Just prior to actually receiving the funds, the state changed the criteria to receive the scholarship and i was subsequently denied.

Im sure there are cheaper routes to go, but i wouldn't risk going cheap with something like learning to fly. Do a quick google search for rotor craft training in your area. Most offer several certifications and such.
        Rotor Craft is more difficult to fly than it looks. If all you want to do with your certification is survey your deer herd, i would recommend getting an "experimental craft" license. This would allow you to fly an ultralight kit or powered parachute from private property instead of airports. Ultralights are slow and simple to fly, not to mention super fun. And they don't have to have a ton of room to take off and land.

I might just start training again to transition out of this stagnant oilfield market. Always wanted to be a commercial heli pilot

Comment

give sky helicopters a call in garland texas and ask for connie or ken (owners). they are straight forward no bs people and they will give you the answers you need quickly. i got my private,commercial,ratings thru them. i would say around 40k for private license. dont be scared to ask them the cheaper ways to go about it; they will tell you. good luck and safe flying

Comment

Hummmm.......I have a friend that needs to sell his small helicopter. They aren't cheep.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
              Hummmm.......I have a friend that needs to sell his small helicopter. They aren't cheep.
              No they aren't haha but maybe I could use it to pay off its own bills pretty quick

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                I started training in New Iberia Louisiana with Air Logistics right out of high school. I wanted to fly professionally, and received a scholarship to pay the fees. In 2007, it was going to cost me 35K to fully complete. Just prior to actually receiving the funds, the state changed the criteria to receive the scholarship and i was subsequently denied.

Im sure there are cheaper routes to go, but i wouldn't risk going cheap with something like learning to fly. Do a quick google search for rotor craft training in your area. Most offer several certifications and such.
                Rotor Craft is more difficult to fly than it looks. If all you want to do with your certification is survey your deer herd, i would recommend getting an "experimental craft" license. This would allow you to fly an ultralight kit or powered parachute from private property instead of airports. Ultralights are slow and simple to fly, not to mention super fun. And they don't have to have a ton of room to take off and land.

I might just start training again to transition out of this stagnant oilfield market. Always wanted to be a commercial heli pilot

Man I appreciate all the info! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
                  give sky helicopters a call in garland texas and ask for connie or ken (owners). they are straight forward no bs people and they will give you the answers you need quickly. i got my private,commercial,ratings thru them. i would say around 40k for private license. dont be scared to ask them the cheaper ways to go about it; they will tell you. good luck and safe flying
                  I will I had seen them on google. I appreciate it!

Comment

35 hours will not fet you a license, probably twice that many hours will be needed.
                    Buy a gyro and grt a sport pilot license
                    Last edited by flywise; 04-21-2017, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X