X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
    That is odd
    Not really.
    Think about how many dogs you've seen dead on the side of the road with no buzzards on them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
      What part of the state? I have hunted a few locations west and NW that do not have buzzards this time of year. I have also had coyotes and pigs lay for awhile but the crows usually pick at them at least.
      I've noticed all manner of road kill and dead stuff on the sides of roads around Wilbarger County. This past fall it finally dawned on me: I don't see but very, very few buzzards around the county. Only a very few that hang out on a big power line tower on the Red River. Weird.

Comment

They'll eat a coyote before they'll eat a opossum on my place.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not near as many buzzards in Mills county as compared to the spring and summer months. If they are hungry they will eat anything. Two dead BB's on my place and very little action on them.

Comment

I saw a coyote feeding on another coyote that had been hit by a car just north of town yesterday!
            I new they would do it, but this is the first time I actually saw it happen!

Comment

I have seen this for years. I used to kill a lot of coons, possums and skunks, then I would kill coyotes occasionally. The skunks would go quickly, buzzards would be on them inside of a hour of dumping them, at times. But they never lasted a day. Possums might last a couple of days, depends on how long it took them to start to produce some smell the buzzards liked. But once they found it, a possum did not last long, like a skunk. Coons would take a week or more before the buzzards would touch them. Coyotes, would typically take a couple of weeks before the buzzards would touch them. I came to the conclusion that the buzzards want to make sure the coons and coyotes are truly dead before swooping down to eat them. Coons can be very mean critters when messed with, I think the buzzards know that. Then coyotes are obviously predators, so they are nothing the buzzards want to mess with alive either. But then coyotes, will often eat and roll on a dead animal. So throw in the factor that a coyote may smell like a dead animal to begin with. I think those are the reasons the buzzards won't eat them very quickly, after you dump them. They want to make sure they are dead without question.

Comment

I have heard that if a dead animal had something wrong with it that a buzzard wouldn't
                touch it don't know if there's and truth in that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                  Not near as many buzzards in Mills county as compared to the spring and summer months. If they are hungry they will eat anything. Two dead BB's on my place and very little action on them.
                  I have five coyotes untouched in northwest San Saba County and I believe it is more the lack of buzzards this time of year than anything else.

Comment

Killed a coyote a couple years ago and something ate it overnight.
                    I guessed it was coyotes ?
                    I see a lot of dead ones on the highway and never a buzzard on them like an armadillo or deer.

BP

Comment

That's odd, but not super surprising.

Almost nothing will eat a black bear carcass....bugs, that's about it.

Comment

They taste awful

Comment

Originally posted by SpearChunkaa View Post
                          They taste awful
                          Andrew Zimmern ate one on "bizarre foods", just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by clay4626 View Post
                            I have heard that if a dead animal had something wrong with it that a buzzard wouldn't
                            touch it don't know if there's and truth in that statement.
                            I've heard the same thing. I know a guy that runs a feed yard said coyotes won't mess with a dead cow that was sick before it died and was doctored a bunch. Something to do with the medicine they're given. I don't know how true that is but that's what he said.

Comment

I've hung the carcasses on fences and seen buzzards on them. Hard saying. Right now it seems a lot of buzzards have migrated south. Maybe they just aren't hungry enough to eat coyote.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

In Red River County they will eat a coyote in hours. You fall down on our place and knock yourself out , you a goner. It’s nothing to see 50-75 buzzards on a pig carcass the morning after you shoot it. Nothing but a greasy spot by the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X