Old Mexico 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by La Calavera View Post
    I keep them for a taxidermist in Mexico and he tans them in Mexico then crosses them to the US and mounts them. Had a tanned hide rejected because it had a piece of a tick or flea. Made him go back to Mexico and clean it then he checked it again and let him through.
    Im sorry but that's just ridiculous...

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      It would be to me.. It makes me sick to think of all of those beautiful capes going to the gut pile..

Those giant head, black faced, big eared, huge neck capes are very hard to replace... They are just different.. They bring top dollar in the taxidermy industry.. I would tan them over there , at the ranch, and then wire brush and pressure wash them..
      I’m not spending that kind of effort on a cape to have them send me back for a scab. Had a guy on our lease spend 13 hrs on one to have him sent back and throw it away. NOPE

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
        I’m not spending that kind of effort on a cape to have them send me back for a scab. Had a guy on our lease spend 13 hrs on one to have him sent back and throw it away. NOPE
        WOW.. I guess its a good thing those deer don't ever swim the river...

Comment

They’re law abiding citizens

Comment

They always swim right back once they realize they're unable to communicate with each other

Comment

Oh buddy, can I tell stories about getting capes across. What a pain !!!!! I had some rejected 3 times this year. Once because the BP didn't know the rules so he just sent them back. We clean them, dip them, tan them comb them reinspect them pray over them use smudge sticks to bless them...in the end it boils down to who you get at the border. Had a guy use a microscope this year.

We did finally get all our capes across using an outfitter. Took him two tries. It's the worst part of hunting Mexico IMO. Fascinating as you can have a dog in the truck with no problem. Of course dogs don't have ticks.

Comment

Yes, they just have to verify that it has not been modified. Remind me a few weeks before you come to permit your truck and I will check to see if there’s some type of memo that they have sent to us. Meat will not be a problem anymore.
                Has Mexico customs made some change to allowing raw meat to cross into MX? that would be a welcome change.

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                  Has Mexico customs made some change to allowing raw meat to cross into MX? that would be a welcome change.

Yes sir, they have agreed to be far more lenient and have less restrictions. However, those that have hunted Mexico for a long time know that it all depends on who you get at the bridge. The best advice is dont bring in excessive amounts of anything that will draw attention. If it looks like it’s just an amount for normal consumption, you should no longer have any issues. Colombia was great to us the last couple weeks of season and Laredo was a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will say this if you see a pudgy guy with a goatee and wearing baseball batting gloves DO NOT i repeat DO NOT get in his lane coming back into the us at PN! He tagged every car and inspected them himself to only be tagged an sentro be inspected again. While the lanes on both sides were just banging them out! Longest I’ve ever waited in a line i have him etched in my skull now!

Comment

[QUOTE=walker1983;13263677]Has Mexico customs made some change to allowing raw meat to cross into MX? that would be a welcome

It was the equivalent to the FDA that was confiscating meat and I doubts they’ll be at the bridges again because the are making an exception for American hunters to be allowed to bring 5kgs of beef, 2 kgs of chicken, fish, and Pork per person. I’ll try to find exactly what they told us you can bring.

Comment

[quote=La Calavera;13264453]
                        Has Mexico customs made some change to allowing raw meat to cross into MX? that would be a welcome

It was the equivalent to the FDA that was confiscating meat and I doubts they’ll be at the bridges again because the are making an exception for American hunters to be allowed to bring 5kgs of beef, 2 kgs of chicken, fish, and Pork per person. I’ll try to find exactly what they told us you can bring.
                        That's great information. Especially since we no longer drive by a grocery store heading to the lease.

Now with all the ticks/hides issues, I am wondering if I can find a good taxidermist who will meet us @ Columbia on the way out, have our deer mounted in MX- and shipped to the US.

Comment

[quote=walker1983;13264718]

That's great information. Especially since we no longer drive by a grocery store heading to the lease.

Now with all the ticks/hides issues, I am wondering if I can find a good taxidermist who will meet us @ Columbia on the way out, have our deer mounted in MX- and shipped to the US.

Yes there is.

I meet a guy from Anahuac on Hwy to drop our capes off.. they mount the deer either there or in Laredo.
                          12 pt taxidermy. They do a stand up job and are great people to deal with.
                          PM me and I will get you their number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has Mexico customs made some change to allowing raw meat to cross into MX? that would be a welcome

This is great news! I always just put it in the very bottom of the cooler and fill it with ice to the top. Is there any way to get the new rules in writing? You never know who you will get when crossing.

Comment

Thanks for the update Bernardo! Let us know the specifics when you can.

Comment

Ive tried to explain to a few hunting friends about how many arrow heads there are over there and by their looks on their faces I can't tell they think I'm BS'ing them.. I filled a BIG coffee can completely full in 2.5-3 hours one day while on a big flat on high bluff overlooking the river.. Most where busted. It must have been a foundry.. You couldn't hardly step without stepping on a busted piece of flint..
                                It gave me goose bumps walking around up there just trying to imagine what Indians, how many and how long they had used that bluff... It was wild.
                                That is pretty wild, we found ours on a big flat overlooking a dry river bed, I never looked for them before and I found several, most were broken pieces but we did find a couple dozen heads, can't wait to go look for more, great way to pass the time between hunts.

Comment

Working...
                                X