Didn't know squirrels were that fast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't know squirrels were that fast.

Had a few tree rats show up at the house to eat chicken feed and our strawberries in the garden so I decided to do some "live" practice on them. I was able to get within 20yds of one of them at the chicken feeder and I let go with what felt like a great shot only to have the darn squirrel go all Matrix on me. I swear he went three ways from Sunday in the span of a thousandth of a second and probably ran up the arrow shaft as it went under him.

Next time I get closer before shooting.

Richard.

CRM is the tree rat king and he says the same thing.

Comment

All Matrix on me and ran up the arrow

Comment

Yep, they are fast!

Bisch

Comment

I've some just sit under the feeder and not move until the arrows thumps'em and I have had others do a double back flip with a twist before the arrow gets there.

Comment

If you hit one, your arrow didn't hit where you were looking, and the squirrel was just unlucky.

I think this is the first time a post I've made has been referenced:

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            Thank God I am not the only one. I went 0 and some large number (we'll say 20) until this past spring. I swear one did a Matrix move where it spun and ran up my arrow in flight and lept off.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Haha they are hard to hit!! I've killed a few, but I have several big pecan trees at the house so I have chances to shoot them every day. I've missed waaaayyyy more than I've killed!! They're off limits for me until may, we have a season on them here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

I think this is the first time a post I've made has been referenced:
                Ah, that's where I read it!

Richard.

Comment

Try shooting where you guess he will be when the arrow gets there, not where he is when you loose the arrow. I've killed a few Cat Squirrels in the past but never where I was shooting. If I think they will move left, I will pick a spot a bit high an left of where he is. Let him run into the arrow. At least it has worked for me.

Doug.

Comment

Once you kill one and discover how meaty they are then you wont wonder how theyre so fast. Mmmmm...squirrel.

Comment

They can't outrun a 22.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        They can't outrun a 22.
                        I killed 15 one weekend late last year with my .22, we had a Dutch oven full of yummy little legs that Sunday evening. I figured I'd try one with the bow and quickly realized I need more practice.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                          Once you kill one and discover how meaty they are then you wont wonder how theyre so fast. Mmmmm...squirrel.
                          They are good!! I grew up eating them. When I was a kid, squirrel hunting was just as much of a big deal as deer hunting was. Not many folks squirrel hunt anymore, and I think it's funny how many of my friends won't eat them. I always spend at least one day in October walking a creek bottom with my old Browning A5. I'd still just about rather get in a bunch of cat squirrels than I would kill a buck. The first good cold snap of the year, the day after a good rain when you can slip around...it don't get much better!!

Comment

About six years ago I killed 6 with my bow one afternoon at my house. My wife till this day is still mad about it. Six shots six kills!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdaddy View Post
                              About six years ago I killed 6 with my bow one afternoon at my house. My wife till this day is still mad about it. Six shots six kills!!
                              You did your wife a big favor...and yourself too. Destructive little buggers. They chew through everything. Last winter they were in my attic and scratching around at all godforsaken hours of the night. My son would wake up scared from the monsters scratching in the walls. I just had to replace the corners of all the freize board around a house from them chewing up the masonite trim where the trim met the shingled roof just below the soffit. No reason to come into my screened porch but they still chewed through the screen. Enough was enough the Western 22lr and I killed 12 in two days a year ago...that put a dent in the population...for a short while.

Comment

Working...
                              X