landowner asked us to plant spring food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

landowner asked us to plant spring food plots

So my hunting partner and I have a unique situation. We hunt for free in exchange for helping the landowner meet the wildlife tax exemption. In essence he saves on taxes the equivalent of what we would pay in lease fees. its a win win for both sides considering he is a little older, he saves money and helps us out, we have strong backs, willingness to work hard, and improve his fences, put in gates, clean the property, and keep a good eye on it (physical presence and cameras everywhere).

We mow several times a year and plant about 8 acres of winter/fall plots (oats, cow peas, wheat, turnips, clover, and i think I'm missing something..its justin seed co fall deer mix..

He called me yesterday and said "lets get the tractors out and plant spring plots." so of course I never tell him no and got myself in this project not knowing what will grow.

so enough with the story. I need help. we are located on the grayson/collin county line and have a great mix of dirt considering we are on a river bottom. I have a tractor with a mower and a disc but no seed drill. we usually use a hand spreader and then use a drag behind a four wheeler we built to get the seed int he dirt.

what will grow? I don't have irrigation. just really good dirt that I have never had tested before.

here is what I'm working with. keep in mind i plan to disc it all in the fall and plant my normal kill plots.

Soybeans

Comment

Iron and Clay Cowpeas. Be sure and use a browse enclosure so you can move monitor the actual growth.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
        Iron and Clay Cowpeas. Be sure and use a browse enclosure so you can move monitor the actual growth.
        boom!

Comment

Can you outplant your herd? They decimate my small summer plots.
          Got hogs? I ended up hog proofing 2 plots.
          For grins I might mix in some grain sorghum.
          Not sure of the name, but I used some "golden" type the animals loved after it headed out. But don't plant it heavy. I couldn't even plow the stalks in the fall.
          Please update us on your progress.
          Good luck.

BP
          Last edited by Big pig; 02-25-2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Pearl millet maybe

Comment

spring plot

Got a plot ready today, going to wait on a rainy forecast and plant. Wil be putting in a mix but main seed will be something I've never tried: buckwheat. Supposed to grow fast and be a good soil conditioner.

Comment

I vote iron clay peas. High in protein, drought resistant, grows in soil that's not up to par, ( although ANY crop only meets its full potential when the soil is amended ), and you could mix some soybeans in as well. If you have hogs, any kind of grain will attract them when it matures, and they will destroy it.

You can plant peas with a disc, a seeder, and a drag. No drill needed, although it would work fine also. IMO, the main advantage of a drill is no-till farming, which reduces the amount of " legacy " weed seeds that you turn up when discing. My routine, when I am planting immediately, is to spray existing weeds/grass with gly, wait about a week or so, turn it under, drag it smooth, then set your disc so that it just scratches little furrows in the ground. Most of your crop seeds will fall in these furrows when you drag it again. If I have a little more time, and the right moisture, I turn the fall/winter plot under for soil building, then wait until it starts to green up, then spray with gly to kill the emerging weeds/grass. The less you till, the less weed seeds you turn up, and some of them can lay in the ground a long time just waiting for that sunshine !

Comment

depends on rainfall, i plant things that dont require as much moisture. millet and sunflowers in the spring . The deer eat most of the sunflowers as shoots and the millet is good for birds too.

Comment

Originally posted by demtx View Post
                    Got a plot ready today, going to wait on a rainy forecast and plant. Wil be putting in a mix but main seed will be something I've never tried: buckwheat. Supposed to grow fast and be a good soil conditioner.
                    Good article on buckwheat:

Comment

thanks for the input guys. we do not have hogs. occasionally one runs through but its few and far between. I'm going to put some more research to the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by PSE-Madman View Post
                        thanks for the input guys. we do not have hogs. occasionally one runs through but its few and far between. I'm going to put some more research to the suggestions.
                        If you don't have a hog plague, the grain suggestion is a good one. Cowpeas have weak vines and a little milo would give them something to climb. You might want to visit the QDMA website and research various plot options. Good luck !

Comment

I'm on the qdma website now. the are saying sunflowers can help them climb on them to grow. we have some sunflowers that grow up in the power line during the summer. wondering if I should spray with gly since it may kill the sunflower. we have some hay grazer in that power line as well at comes up every year. we hate it.

Comment

You can NEVER go wrong with Soybeans

Comment

Tuned in. I am in same boat. Little experience and all the makings in front of me. Been reading for days and as of right now im leaning towards cow peas and sunflowers.

I have hogs..alot.

Comment

Working...
                              X