SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
    I've always thought about winging it with a recurve, but I need to get better with the old compound first after I get it fixed [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a plan.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

So random question, when would be a good time to hit the forest to scout out spots for next season? I was thinking of heading out this weekend but wasn't sure if it was too early.

Comment

So random question, when would be a good time to hit the forest to scout out spots for next season? I was thinking of heading out this weekend but wasn't sure if it was too early.

Never too early, never too late.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Go now before green-up. You can see trails easier, and you can also see rubs through the canopy. It’s also not 100 degrees outside either.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            Go now before green-up. You can see trails easier, and you can also see rubs through the canopy. It’s also not 100 degrees outside either.
            That's what I figured. Want to get an idea of the deer in the area before the bucks drop their antlers. Hard to tell if they'll be worth hunting next season by the holes in their heads

Comment

Just remember, the sign you're finding now is what they are doing now, not during the season. Their patterns change.

Comment

Can someone school me on squirrel hunting in the Sam, what are do's and don'ts

Comment

Nice bow hf, what does it cost to have that built if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                    What I've noticed, at least where I hunt them, one shot goes off and they make for the hills so you gotta get on em quick or have dogs to tree them. Also, walking around it's crazy tough to have luck with the bushytails in the Sam from what I've encountered. I go in just like I'm deer hunting, sit there and bust the squirrels when they come out. Not much else to it IMHO.

Comment

You just buy them online. Piece them together. I've seen risers and limbs go for reasonable amounts and crazy amounts. I don't know the difference, so I really couldn't tell you.

Comment

Nice bow Damian.

Comment

What I've noticed, at least where I hunt them, one shot goes off and they make for the hills so you gotta get on em quick or have dogs to tree them. Also, walking around it's crazy tough to have luck with the bushytails in the Sam from what I've encountered. I go in just like I'm deer hunting, sit there and bust the squirrels when they come out. Not much else to it IMHO.

Thinking bout going in the near future

Comment

Thinking bout going in the near future
                            Nice, just find ya a creek bed with some openings and oak flats and they'll be there

Comment

I have been hunting them about once a month now since Sept. There are no leaves on the trees, so they see you from a mile away and they run. I haven't been within 100 yards of one in over a month.

Personally, I am waiting for the trees to bud out a little bit before I head back. Just crazy how far off they will spook.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                                Orange is required all year in the entire area of the SHNF, including the archery only area.

I don't know this person, but it seems he posted three bucks and claimed that all three were shot in the SHNF. That's no good. I know several people were saying they were going to contact the GW.
                                Since he hasn't responded since that time, my guess is that he did get a visit.

I try every year to inform people about the rules in the Sam, most don't listen.

I hope we were mistaken and he didn't end up with a ticket.

Ok hope everyone had a great sage year. I've been traveling about hunting and haven't looked here. I see many got their undies in knot over my hunts. Let me clear up things since people read into things their way. Of those pic i posted of my deer, only one from Sam this year....the other one was from Sam the previous year (this was to show and hope to inspire not to give up-as people were post bad outings...change up game plan and things work out) with way weather had been it was ruff, but never quit. In that pic of me and deer without orange on, they should look at lower left at base of tree (see orange on ground! Btw HE was one who took that pic for me), and yes orange has to be worn during hunting season as squirrel season in....i do. The GW and talk about how it was long ago when that wasnt case in archery (so that stuck in my mind). My third deer wasn't in the Sam (never claimed to take them all in Sam), posted them here as reminder that good hunting can still be had, even way weather has been and no one having luck (posted was meant to be a encouraging). Now here is a pic of my last two hunt of season.... I'm already scouting for next season-i do this year round at times via trail cameras and getting out in woods scouting. I don't wait until right before season to do..shed hunt, moving stands and see what made it. So don't assume.....
                                I travel when I hunt each year and not just hunt the Sam alone. Maybe people who assume I took 3 in Sam, that is only place they go? 1deer Sam, surrounding walker/Montgomery county 2deer
                                So guess they assume I took my last few in Sam....
                                Next season have plans New Mexico, Arizona, Arkansas, Texas and final Illinois

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X