900 Year Old Arrowhead Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

900 Year Old Arrowhead Found

Saw this on the news and thought it was pretty interesting!!

That is an amazing find, and the sword on another link equally as awesome

Comment

I saw that earlier and I can’t determine how they decided it is an arrow. Looks intact and does not have anyway to nock it to a bow string, looks really short and doesent seem like the barbs would offer a very aerodynamic flight

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        I saw that earlier and I can’t determine how they decided it is an arrow. Looks intact and does not have anyway to nock it to a bow string, looks really short and doesent seem like the barbs would offer a very aerodynamic flight

I believe what they found is just an arrowhead. Copper tip with the barbs attached. I would imagine the shaft wouldn't have survived long enough due to the elements but I'm sure someone on here can maybe add more insight!

Comment

Originally posted by Kmart49 View Post
          I believe what they found is just an arrowhead. Copper tip with the barbs attached. I would imagine the shaft wouldn't have survived long enough due to the elements but I'm sure someone on here can maybe add more insight!
          No the archeologists described the shaft as an antler shaft that was barbed. Maybe I misread
          Last edited by Playa; 02-13-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            No the archeologists described the shaft as an angler shaft that was barbed. Maybe I misread

You're right, I just read it again. Agreed that it's of they would use the barbed shaft but cool none the less!

Comment

Hmmm.... If it were found near water I'd think it was meant to be attached to a shaft for "spear fishing". Crazy cool find.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                That is an amazing find, and the sword on another link equally as awesome
                LOL! Yeah I went from the sword to the Viking crucifix to the silver one found in Sweden... talk about a rabbit hole.

Comment

That’s not an “arrow”. That’s a harpoon tip. The copper point penetrates the hide. The bearded edges keep it from being pulled out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                    That’s not an “arrow”. That’s a harpoon tip. The copper point penetrates the hide. The bearded edges keep it from being pulled out.
                    Agreed, but it could be the foreshaft from an Atlatl dart, rather than a harpoon.

Comment

It was found thawing out of ice... read it in a different article.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                        Agreed, but it could be the foreshaft from an Atlatl dart, rather than a harpoon.
                        My thoughts---

Comment

Very cool indead!

Comment

I say part of a harpoon

Comment

Working...
                            X