Deer camp fire pits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    This is the only one I could find of the one at the ranch amigo...just making note of the metal ring we use. It's actually part of a caliche grinder. Over an inch thick and narrows from about 5ft diameter down like a funnel to about 2ft & stands 4 feet high. Little overkill but won't rust out in my lifetime.

I'll get the one in the back yard for ya in a bit...
    Leaning toward something like this minus the steel. I will leave it open in the bottom more than likely.

Comment

I just dig out a shallow depression in the ground, to make coals for cooking.
      We typically don't hang out around the fire.
      Usually too hot, unless it's January.

Comment

Here is a pic of ours, from several years ago. It rains a lot up at our lease, so we have a cover over the fire pit. We did some more stone work last summer, just don’t have any new pictures of it. The wash tub draws the smoke out pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am planning a fire pit. Is a concrete pad with a round hole in the middle and short sides of rock a good idea? I am concerned about wind, but don’t want tall sides

Thanks

BP

Comment

Leave it up to an Aggie to find a use for an upsidedown washtub!! Good job Brother!

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
              Leaning toward something like this minus the steel. I will leave it open in the bottom more than likely.
              May want to look into a precast concrete manhole cone. Our company makes them and they taper from 48" ID to 35" opening. 2' overall height. Could invert it and bury it. Cheap option and 5" thick concrete.

Comment

[ATTACH]919457[/ATTACH]
                Last edited by sharpstick35; 08-10-2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
                  Here is a pic of ours, from several years ago. It rains a lot up at our lease, so we have a cover over the fire pit. We did some more stone work last summer, just don’t have any new pictures of it. The wash tub draws the smoke out pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The young man looked excited to be at deer camp. That’s awesome.

Comment

Yessir, he loves it up there. My little buddy will be 7 next month, gonna try to her him a doe or hog this year. Should be a great season.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
                      Yessir, he loves it up there. My little buddy will be 7 next month, gonna try to her him a doe or hog this year. Should be a great season.

That’s what it’s all about.

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                        Ours

Edit: I don't read well
                        Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                        id rather spend t oj me at a camp like this than some of the ritzy places you see and hear about.

Comment

Matt,

Here's the set up at home...limestone & crushed granite.

Good luck with your project...I'm dig'n both of yours & Heath's little slice of heaven threads. Thanks for taking us along.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Does this count? Javelina camp!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Not exactly my deer camp, but I do have more deer around here than you can shake a stick at. I had this built a few years back and I think it serves us well and something similar would work fine at camp. I had them inset 4 fire bricks on each quad about an inch and these support the 36" grate I already had for my tank head grill you see in the clip. Works perfectly. You can see them working the grate in at about the 2:10 mark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3oZ1m2dvQ"]Back Yard Fire Pit Build Timelapse - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

That time lapse was neat stuff. It looks great.

Comment

Working...
                                X