Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one use their 4 wheeler and farm attachments for a food plot ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one use their 4 wheeler and farm attachments for a food plot ?

I was @ Tractor Supply the other day looking at some attachments for 4 wheelers, disc's, plows, etc and was wonderring how well they work ?

Who uses them / or used them before ? and how good do they break ground for a food plot ? is the tractor way easier ?

I am looking at breaking ground on a new food plot...well next time it rains at the lease and where I want to put it....it is going to be a little difficult with the tractor, and 4 wheeler will get in and around with little trouble.

I use my Ford 8N tractor. I went to check out the cost for a disk for my four wheeler, and found out I could buy one cheaper for my tractor. And it does an excellent job. I don't plant real deep, just bust up the soil, spread the seed behind the four wheeler, and drag it with a piece of chain link fence. I'm no expert, this is what I do.--- good luck

Comment

most atv attachments dont work well in most of the country around here, the ground is to hard! seed broadcasters work well on atv's just not big enough for the amount of country to plant

Comment

If you have some good loose soil they will work but they are usually too light weight to break up ground that has never been broken up before.

Comment

Like said above four wheelers are too light for most soils. We use tractors for plowing and will use the four wheelers for dragging a harrow to cover the seed.

Comment

Thanks for the input. That what I was thinking. I have a small airater?sp for pulling behind my riding lawnmower and it has a place on top to add weights, rocks, etc...it works OK w/30# lbs of weight added. The ones that can attach to the atv don't look like you can add a lot of weight to them. Luckily the ground is soft when it rains, but it hasn't been tilled/disc'd in a while.

I wonder if you can rent them somewhere ? try before you buy scenario...

Comment

I helped a friend a while back weld a plate onto the top of an ATV disk and then he would put a couple bags of qickcrete on the plate. This helped it have a little more weight to break up the topsoil.

Comment

Used a disc w/ 4 wheeler. Had good soil & had extra weight on it. Worked good, but had to make alot of round.

Comment

We use a Kawi 650 4x4 with a disc.

1. Wait till it rains and plow that week if possible.
                  2. Take the corn for your feeders and put the bags on the disc and break the ground first.
                  3. Fill feeders.
                  4. Spread seed by hand the old way
                  5. Use a chain link drag to cover seed

Works like a charm...

Comment

I used a disc on hard ground behind John Deere lawn tractor (LA120). Disck not heavy enough. Added weight, rear tires spun. I then tried ATV, rear tires spun.

So I hookd it behind my Land Rover Discovery, dropped it in low gear, and ran. Worked great. Most any truck would work, but one with low gears would be best.

Comment

We use a 4-wheeler to pull a Plot Master in Nebraska

Comment

I just bought one of these for my foodplots.

Watch the video on the site, I have high hopes for this bad boy way back in the woods...

http://www.groundhogdiscplow.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X