arrow placement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arrow placement question

I had the opportunity to shoot deer from almost straight down. This is my 1st year to bow hunt and awhile since I could hunt. It was great and I watched more deer longer than ever before.
    Back to question would a shot from 10 feet up a tree at deer 5-10 yards away be ethical? I think it would be lethal as long as you kept the hit close to backbone. Also if backbone hit it would disable correct?

Following for top down shot answers.

I have laterally spined two bucks due to shot angle, trajectory and lack of experience. Both went down but well alive. I stabbed one and follow on shot the other. I would never attempt to replicate either shot.

Comment

Closest I have come to this scenario was a buck 5 yds away. I was 16' up. I aimed for exit (opposite shoulder). Arrow entered just below back strap and lodged into the opposite shoulder. Arrow broke 6" up and every step the buck took ripped his vitals. Lungs were tore up pretty good. He ended up going 30yds.

If your only 10' up and your shot is 5-10 yds there is no reason for a backbone shot. That's a good 15'-25' away and broadside easy double lung/heart shot.

If you are 20' up and a deer is below you there is no way I would shoot straight down on them. Yes backbone could disable but I shoot to kill not suffer.

Comment

It's a tough shot. One lung at best. Many times it's easier to wait a few seconds and let them walk out to 15 - 20 yards where you have a double lung chip shot. If that costs you your opportunity, while disappointing, you will know that you did the right thing (which always helps me). No different than passing on a buck that is outside of your effective range.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Comment

10 ft up a tree and 10 yrds away is ethical on a broadside shot or slightly quartering away. I would never spine a deer intentionally if that was my only shot.

Comment

It can be very effective, and no need to gun by the backstrap. A little further down and like said above think about the exit. I am about 10-12' up and my first doe this season was well inside of 10 yards. Like antler 86 said though. If you are 20' up and the deer is 5 yards or less, let them move away that is a VERY steep angle.

Comment

In my opinion if you aim for the spine you are going to miss when the deer drops

Not a thing wrong with shooting a deer from 10' up that is 10yds or so out.

like hogslayer I would never intentionally try to "spine" a deer. Have done it accidentally

Comment

Originally posted by dru.bishop73 View Post
                It's a tough shot. One lung at best. Many times it's easier to wait a few seconds and let them walk out to 15 - 20 yards where you have a double lung chip shot. If that costs you your opportunity, while disappointing, you will know that you did the right thing (which always helps me). No different than passing on a buck that is outside of your effective range.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                Wisdom in these words.

Comment

I’ve unintentionally spined a few in my years. It’s not something I like to think about. Between the unsightly struggle and the deed that must follow. It turns the whole situation in to a bad experience for me. I don’t care how big the buck is I’d rather clean miss than that. Aim for exit. If that imaginary line intersects the spine, the angle is too steep and unethical. Just my .02. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Not planning on this, just wondering what you'll thought or experienced. I tend to get lots of questions about what if especially when sitting for hours.
                    I've enjoyed the past month watching deer, turkeys, squirrels, hawks and armadillos.

Comment

Good stuff. Aim for exit....my take away.

Good luck MasonRed. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Working...
                      X