Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Time To Make This Porch Bigger, And Add Some FIRE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my personal favorite mason experiences was when they asked if they could "borrow" a piece of galvanized tin from around my shop. They took it up to the work area (entry columns) and proceeded to build a fire on top of it. Then one of them pulled out a collapsible grill, pork chops, and went to town. They were fueling the fire with bits of treated wood, cement sacks, etc. It was inspiring.

Looks good, D. Thanks for guinea-pigging this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Mason is gonna try to finish manana. Lord I hope so! I am not a neat freak by any stretch, but the older I get the more I value a clean workspace. How anyone can work in this disaster I don't know, but all masons are this way. It's driving me insane.
      [ATTACH]781402[/ATTACH]
      That's every trade. It's not exclusive to just masons. I don't know how or why they do it either. Drives me crazy.

Comment

Mason's lack about 1/2 day, the mess should be all mine by noon tomorrow.

They cleaned the stone on the chimney, which brings a lot of color out in the stone.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458349422.117884.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	24436449

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458349441.237124.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	24436450

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458349457.984454.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	24436451

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458349488.384861.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	24436452

Comment

The project is starting to look Bad ***... In for more pics...

Comment

I can just imagine the lies being told, beer being drunk and the food being cooked out around that fire place! Looks good Dale.

Comment

That rock for the ct is gonna look great, keep at it hand.

Comment

Mason's lack about 1/2 day, the mess should be all mine by noon tomorrow.

They cleaned the stone on the chimney, which brings a lot of color out in the stone.
                [ATTACH]781584[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH]781585[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH]781586[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH]781587[/ATTACH]
                What's the story on that hearth? What are your plans for the mantle? Or is that a mantle made of stone I think I see.

Comment

I don't know how I missed this build but I did. This is awesome!!! You will enjoy this one for many years to come and it's getting finished at just the right time for you to start enjoying it immediately.
                  Looks great but I wouldn't expect any less from a Moser build!

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                    What's the story on that hearth? What are your plans for the mantle? Or is that a mantle made of stone I think I see.

They are gonna do those two "column" type deals for the hearth. I have another slab of the same material the countertop is made of, only its not polished and resined. I'll have my countertop guy cut it for the top of the hearth. That will leave the middle section open underneath to keep a little bit of dry firewood in. He will cut 2 more pieces to go on top of those 2 little knee walls to either side of the fireplace. I'll just put some sealed on all that to draw some of the grain out.

They built a mantle of stone. I wanted a timber of some sort, but I did t have it yet and I didn't want to hold them up.

Comment

They are gonna do those two "column" type deals for the hearth. I have another slab of the same material the countertop is made of, only its not polished and resined. I'll have my countertop guy cut it for the top of the hearth. That will leave the middle section open underneath to keep a little bit of dry firewood in. He will cut 2 more pieces to go on top of those 2 little knee walls to either side of the fireplace. I'll just put some sealed on all that to draw some of the grain out.

They built a mantle of stone. I wanted a timber of some sort, but I did t have it yet and I didn't want to hold them up.
                      That will look good i think. And a good use of space. Good thinking. Looking forward to the pictures

Comment

It's Time To Make This Porch Bigger, And Add Some FIRE!

Masons rolled out about 2, 1 of them is gonna come back tomorrow to finish acid washing the stuff that was too wet to wash today.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458436946.088501.jpg
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	24436547

I dug out a little dirt and set this 38X18 stone step.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458437033.441035.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	24436548

They cleaned up quite a bit, I cleaned up most of the day. There is still a huge mess and I'm exhausted.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458437120.571976.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	24436549

It's too wet to get the skid steer out in the pasture where I'm going to dump most of this, or I'd be about done, but I did what I could today.
                        Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-19-2016, 07:43 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]781735[/ATTACH]

Comment

Looks great! I'm guessing there will be a bbq soon?

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
                              Looks great! I'm guessing there will be a bbq soon?

Gonna have to eat bologna samiches at the rate the budget is getting stomped in the ground.

Comment

[ATTACH]781735[/ATTACH]

Love this view!

Comment

Working...
                                X