I made a two brick forge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made a two brick forge

I made a two brick forge today because I wanted to heat treat one of my knives and didn't want to light my coal forge just for that, especially because it's so hot. It worked beautifully. In a very short amount of time, my knife had an even colour all over the blade, and it hardened perfectly with no warping. I'm tempering in the toaster over right now.

Unfortunately, it's not big enough for my big Bowie knife. I don't know how I'm going to heat treat this knife. I hate to send it off to be heat treated because I'd be paying a lot of shipping just for one knife, and I'm a tight wad. I'll probably hold on to it for a while until I figure something out.
    Attached Files

Looks good Sam.

Comment

Awesome. You sure are resourceful

Comment

How did you bore the holes?

Comment

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
          Awesome. You sure are resourceful
          Yeah, I didn't even pay for these fire bricks. I taught a guy how to make a bow, and a friend of his gave them to me (along with some other stuff) just to say thanks.

Comment

How'd you get the holes bored through?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              How did you bore the holes?
              I started to do a video tutorial, but my camera stopped working in the middle of it. Otherwise, you could've seen the whole thing. But I'll describe it because it was pretty simple.

I put those angle irons on there first. Then I used a 1.75" forstner bit on a drill press and drilled as far as it would go. Then I put a 1.5" spade bit on the drill press and drilled as far as that would go. It still didn't go as far as I wanted.

I took the angle irons of and scraped out the rest with a spoon, using a straight edge as a guide to get the same diameter and blending in the seems.

Then I drilled a 3/8" hole in the back of it. Then I drilled a 5/8" hole in the side near the back pointing kind of up and kind of forward so when the fire goes in there, it swirls around and comes out the front. A little comes out the back, too.

If I hadn't been in such a hurry to get the blade in the quenching oil, I would've taken a picture so you could see how evenly it heated the blade. I was really proud of it. It makes me want to make another knife.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                I started to do a video tutorial, but my camera stopped working in the middle of it. Otherwise, you could've seen the whole thing. But I'll describe it because it was pretty simple.

I put those angle irons on there first. Then I used a 1.75" forstner bit on a drill press and drilled as far as it would go. Then I put a 1.5" spade bit on the drill press and drilled as far as that would go. It still didn't go as far as I wanted.

I took the angle irons of and scraped out the rest with a spoon, using a straight edge as a guide to get the same diameter and blending in the seems.

Then I drilled a 3/8" hole in the back of it. Then I drilled a 5/8" hole in the side near the back pointing kind of up and kind of forward so when the fire goes in there, it swirls around and comes out the front. A little comes out the back, too.

If I hadn't been in such a hurry to get the blade in the quenching oil, I would've taken a picture so you could see how evenly it heated the blade. I was really proud of it. It makes me want to make another knife.
                It's addicting! With two small kids I don't get to work on them as much as I'd like, but when I do it's something I really love. You seem to improvise well! That'll come in handy.

Comment

We're definitely gonna need a pic.

Comment

What do you want a pic of? The inside of it? It's still a little warm right now. When it cools off, I'll take it apart and show you the inside. One of the bricks cracked on me. I don't know if it was the heat or because I tightened those bolts too tight. It stayed together, though.

Comment

Okay, here's the inside of it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good job on the forge Sam! Living in Austin, possibly there is a local knife maker or even a pottery sculptor that you could hook up with an use their oven for the big Bowie?

Comment

I knew knife maker who had a nice big forge, but he sold it. A potter sculptor is a good idea, though! Maybe I could put an ad on craigslist and see if I can find somebody.

Comment

One of my favorite knife makers is in Austin. I believe he sends off for heat treat, though. If you want to spend a while drooling you should check out his knives.

Comment

Wow, that is definitely some eye candy. I wonder why I never heard of this guy. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
                              X