No announcement yet.

AC in the attic is draining.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget the two (2) drain openings on the evaporator condensate pan, that's the primary as far as I'm concerned. Secondary to me is the drain running from the auxiliary overflow pan, a pan that should be equipped with an auxiliary float or wet switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
      I installed AC's for a couple years & have never seen one of these.
      When we moved into our current home, it was set up with a wet switch that was sitting in the bottom of the overflow pan. That was it. No emergency drain pipe. It did work, though. Mine started to drain into the overflow pan, the switch tripped and shut down my system. I tested the switch after that to see how much it would take to trip that switch. Just a couple of dropa of water would trup it. Problem was that the system wouldn't come on until you got that little soaker pad on the bottom of that thing COMPLETELY dry. I swapped it out for a traditional emergency drain pipe system. A/c company wanted $600 to install 15' of PVC pup and a couple of 90's I said thanks, but I think I got this. About $25 later (glue, pvc, and a hole saw) and about 30 minutes after starting, the $600 project was completed.

Comment

I'm sure glad my A/C unit is in the house, not in the attic. I don't have to drag this old fat *** up there when something goes wrong.

My drain has the float valve and the drain line goes straight from the unit into the sewer.

Comment

Suck it out with a shop vac.

Comment

I've got the same issue going on and I've tried to blow it out with a shop vac through the access pipe that sticks up several times and it is still happening. I'm thinking my clog might be between the unit and where the access pipe comes up. If I vacuum of instead of blowing air through will I damage anything in my AC unit?

Thanks.
            Last edited by Rounder; 06-20-2017, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
              I've got the same issue going on and I've tried to blow it out with a shop vac through the pipe that sticks up several times and it is still happening. I'm thinking my clog might be between the unit and where that pipe comes up. If I vacuum instead of instead of blowing air through will I damage anything in my AC unit?

Thanks.
              No.

Comment

Reconnect and you will be good.

Comment

Clean out sink drain in bathroom or kitchen

They drain those into a sink drain

Very common to get plugged up

I clean mine each year

Look under bathroom sink

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
                    Bleach really doesn't do anything (or enough). You need to take a portable air tank up and blow out the normal drain AND the emergency drain. This is especially true if you have blown in insulation. Dust, insulation and possibly mold to some degree clogs up the normal drain.
                    This ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                      Ok, went into the attic with a flashlight and an air hose. The inlet where we pour bleach into was holding water. I made a seal with my hand and blew air in it for about a minute. I looked into the inlet and the water was gone. There is no way to do that to the emergency drain as I can't get to it. I'm kinda afraid to blow it back the other direction.
                      Called an A/C repair man recently for the same reasons. He did something I have never seen. Instead of blowing out the line from the attic out, he took a big shop vac and sucked from the outside . He would let it suck for a minute or so ,then remove it from around the drain line and the water and gunk would shoot out the drain line. Then he would suck it again and remove it
                      to let more water and gunk shoot out the line.

Comment

Try Hydrogen Peroxide instead of bleach down these drains and see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Make sure you dry the pan good so it doesn’t rust out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

change Ac fliter every month, Get AC serviced,clean the coils inside and outside, bio tabs inside,etc...
                            don't forget about your water heaters too.
                            just like oil changes and tire rotations for your vehicles, they all need servicing

Comment

I installed a ball valve in the primary drain pipe, then a "T" just on the downstream side with a short pipe coming up and a cap on it. When it clogs I close the ball valve to shut it off from the unit, close the drain on the sink that it drains into, and stuff a wet rag in the sink over flow. Then remove the cap above the "T" and blow it down through the sink, usually with the P trap removed under the sink and a bucket underneath.

Womens sink...hair, etc. This time of year around here the mold and algae gets worse with the humidity.

Comment

Another easy trick is to just put a union on the main line and when it’s clogged unthread it and blow it out with a compressor! Just wrap the compressor nozzle in the pipe with a towel to creat some back pressure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X