No announcement yet.

South Texas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rut has just barely started in south Texas. It's early or mid December every year.

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
      The rut has just barely started in south Texas. It's early or mid December every year.
      Late december.

Comment

Brother in law. That was bad.

Comment

Very wet though this weekend.

Comment

Had an 8 pt cruise by with his nose to the ground this morning. Never bothered with the corn.

Comment

bucks are starting to move a bit more and started showing up with the doe on the cameras in dilley area. Also seeing some swolen necks. Think this next cold front is going to kick off the rut.

Comment

Heading out to my place around 2 p.m. Hope to see some movement with this weather.

Comment

Yesterday afternoon at about 3 was the best movement on mature deer we've had.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                    Yesterday afternoon at about 3 was the best movement on mature deer we've had.
                    It's time! Good luck

It really kicked off for us in Goliad this week.
                    Not s tx, but calendar and weather really lined up.

Comment

Any change to the pattern? Last week was really bad with the full moon. How about y'all?

Comment

we seem to be missing our 6.5 year old class of bucks. Tons of 3-5 year old studs and lots of 7-9 year old bucks. I went back on our specific lease of 9000 acres and tracked rainfall for the past 7 years. We went 9 months with a total of one inch of rain/drought back during the time frame that the fawns were being born 6 years ago. I have talked to several other ranches in our area and they are experiencing the same thing. Anyone else?

Comment

Same here. Mature deer are harder to find.

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
                            we seem to be missing our 6.5 year old class of bucks. Tons of 3-5 year old studs and lots of 7-9 year old bucks. I went back on our specific lease of 9000 acres and tracked rainfall for the past 7 years. We went 9 months with a total of one inch of rain/drought back during the time frame that the fawns were being born 6 years ago. I have talked to several other ranches in our area and they are experiencing the same thing. Anyone else?
                            That seems to be the case for us as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                              Any change to the pattern? Last week was really bad with the full moon. How about y'all?

It was bad last week and first part of this week. Ended up killing a nice 8 that went close to 150. Will be heading down Thursday next week to see what I can see. Looking back at pictures some of my best hunts have been in January after the rut when the bucks are hitting the corn pretty hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

South Texas.

FarmLogs history is a good reference but not totally accurate. It gives me an idea of the effect of rainfall over the past decade. Rain totals don't always extrapolate to good horn years because of timing. It's never an easy year in the brushcountry.

2005 10.28
                                2006 11.73
                                2007 30.71
                                2008 14.44
                                2009 16.97
                                2010 26.34
                                2011 13.26
                                2012 18.60
                                2013 27.12
                                2014 14.38
                                2015 27.70
                                2016~ 28.30