Turkey shot placement ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey shot placement ?

I am gonna try and do something I have never done before take a spring turkey with my bow. What's the best place to put the arrow? I was thinking a head or neck shot. What's your opinion? Which broad head? I am ready to draw some blood with my new assassin!

if neck or head shot id try the guilotene(sp). or body shot any perfered BH. just my .02

Comment

use the search feature as this topic with pics comes up 4-5 times a year

Comment

I like to wait for a head on or facing away shot and put it straight through the center of the body. I know that others have different methods but I haven't lost a single bird with that shot.

Comment

from what ive read and heard is to use a broadhead with a big cutting diameter so you dont lose your arrow and go for body shots unless you have a guillotine type broadhead, then neck and head shots are fine

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
            I like to wait for a head on or facing away shot and put it straight through the center of the body. I know that others have different methods but I haven't lost a single bird with that shot.
            I find this best also. Break the spine.

I always heard hit em high watch em die, hit em low watch em go................but in my personal experiences low right at the top of the drum stick kills em and up near the wing butt........well I've never found one of those birds.

Facing away right in the center of the back works 100% of the time.(for me)

Comment

Right where the legs attach to the body.

Comment

[ATTACH]308237[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH]308238[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  I first read about this idea in a post by tuthdoc a few years back. Ever since, when they are broadside, I shoot them right through the "hips". If they can't run they can't fly. It really works well.

Comment

Too low in my opinion

Comment

Big expandables allow for a little more error in shot placement

Comment

Hips

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                          Too low in my opinion
                          It's generally not a "kill zone" shot - you may have to go wring their neck - but they are not going anywhere. I read where alot of guys (it's happened to me) just miss the spine, neck or vitals, and get a pass through but the turkey has enough life left in it to run and get airborne. Or the wings are broken and they take off like Carl Lewis through the woods. They may die shortly thereafter but they don't have to fly or run too far to be lost forever.
                          Last edited by jerp; 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Clay is correct.

A head shot is great too.

Comment

This.

Comment

Working...
                              X