No announcement yet.

Stained concrete problems. Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is still the possibility of grinding, applying a skim slurry, and polishing. The risk is that after all the effort is put into it you still won't like it as it's just not the same as what you originally wanted. I have natural polished floors in my entire home but I painstakingly guarded the floors every single day. Picked up every nail to avoid rust, picked up every scrap piece of wood for an even cure, put signs throughout the home, covered floors after frame, etc. If your builder didn't take any precautions, and didn't tell you that it wasn't his responsibility, then I would push him very hard to find a way to make it right. From a resale standpoint you'll benefit from installing flooring as all concrete will crack and potential buyers are terrified of cracks. FYI I would also be demanding an extended warranty on the garage/study you mentioned them forgetting to pour. It's ok to overlook something out but not ok to overlook it during pre-pour punch. That would concern me more than anything.

Comment

Question

If they pour the slab and you stained it then two days later you came back and sealed it with that help prevent the uptake of any of the other products that they might use. Once the building was done you could go back and resell it again.

Comment

So they are attempting to grind the concrete down. I was very addequite with the builder this morning that I was not responsible for the problems and if they cant get the floor to what we want then he needs to do something else. He replied with "you can kill the stain and pay to put wood or tile in". I about blew a gasket. I told him he can spend the money to try and fix the current situation but in the end if we dont like it hes still going to do something else and that I was not spending any more money on the floor.

So they ground in the front bedroom and restained. It looks ok, but now there are pee gravel holes that are popping up from grinding the floor. One spot is about 1/2" wide and 4" long. Mabe 1/8" deep or so. This is getting frustrating!

Comment

I would put it in terms he can understand. Find a solution to fix my floor that I am happy with or you will be speaking with my lawyer. If he thinks your bluffing pay a lawyer a couple hundred bucks to write up a legal letter explaining that he will fix the floor to your satisfaction or he will be sued. Worked for me years ago. Builder thought I was bluffing until he received the certified letter from my lawyer and he then went above and beyond to make me happy.

Comment

I would hate to do that, but if it comes to it that is the best way to go about it. Like I talked with my wife, in the end hes not a friend, I hired this conpany to build a perfect house.

Comment

Don't know the answer but I pray you have luck finding a solution to your problem. Next house I build will have stained concrete so I'm following this one for sure.

Comment

I'll be using acetone concrete dye in our wedding venue, acid stain is too much of a crap shoot since it relies on chemical reaction

Comment

I had the same exact thing happen! I didn't trust all the make shift options so had builder place wood floor all through out the house. We had perfect bucket rings and areas that looked like a Picasso painting where they spilled gas or something that wouldn't allow the stain to adhere. I'm sorry for your issues.

Comment

concrete

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
                    I would hate to do that, but if it comes to it that is the best way to go about it. Like I talked with my wife, in the end hes not a friend, I hired this conpany to build a perfect house.
                    there is not a house out there that's "perfect"
                    Hope you get what you like, but I'd be looking at other flooring options.

Comment

Are you carrying the financing?

Comment

Im not carrying the construction loan, but I'm providing my own morgage lender for the remaining price financed.

Comment

Originally posted by TKC View Post
                          I had the same exact thing happen! I didn't trust all the make shift options so had builder place wood floor all through out the house. We had perfect bucket rings and areas that looked like a Picasso painting where they spilled gas or something that wouldn't allow the stain to adhere. I'm sorry for your issues.
                          Its frustrating. We just met again and as they are working it, its looking better. We shall see tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
                            There is still the possibility of grinding, applying a skim slurry, and polishing. The risk is that after all the effort is put into it you still won't like it as it's just not the same as what you originally wanted. I have natural polished floors in my entire home but I painstakingly guarded the floors every single day. Picked up every nail to avoid rust, picked up every scrap piece of wood for an even cure, put signs throughout the home, covered floors after frame, etc. If your builder didn't take any precautions, and didn't tell you that it wasn't his responsibility, then I would push him very hard to find a way to make it right. From a resale standpoint you'll benefit from installing flooring as all concrete will crack and potential buyers are terrified of cracks. FYI I would also be demanding an extended warranty on the garage/study you mentioned them forgetting to pour. It's ok to overlook something out but not ok to overlook it during pre-pour punch. That would concern me more than anything.
                            I don't mean to be a smart arse but it can be skim coated and stained, the skim coat will take a stain really nice, no grinding involved, if he were closer i could have one of my guys fix it for him, it will cost more money but he will have acid stained floors.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                              Question

If they pour the slab and you stained it then two days later you came back and sealed it with that help prevent the uptake of any of the other products that they might use. Once the building was done you could go back and resell it again.
                              this

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                                this
                                Would this work?

Comment

Working...
                                X