Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas Protein

Traded for a small protein feeder and have a few questions

1) is there any place close to Tyler that sells L&E?

2) how close to water source does it need to be?

3) what time of year should I start to introduce deer to protein that have never had it?

4) any pointers for starting protein in East Texas?

Thanks for any advice or tips

Following

Comment

I know that you will hear a lot of different stuff good and bad about double down, but I started feeding it back in April when our local feed store started getting it and the deer love it. They are actually picking the protein out of the corn and leaving the corn. I hunt in Elkhart and have never had much luck with protein but if they keep eating at the rate they are right now I won't be able to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum9 View Post
        I know that you will hear a lot of different stuff good and bad about double down, but I started feeding it back in April when our local feed store started getting it and the deer love it. They are actually picking the protein out of the corn and leaving the corn. I hunt in Elkhart and have never had much luck with protein but if they keep eating at the rate they are right now I won't be able to afford it.
        What brand are you talking about?

I am brand new to protein, no opinion on any of them

L&E turns up in a lot of the searches for protein in the game management section.
        Local feed store can probably get something, deer protein is not a large market in my part of the state

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
          What brand are you talking about?

I am brand new to protein, no opinion on any of them

L&E turns up in a lot of the searches for protein in the game management section.
          Local feed store can probably get something, deer protein is not a large market in my part of the state
          I've had really good results with GamePro 20% and 16%. I had deer on it 2 wks after it being out and coming daily. As far as timing I keep it year round. Think I started it in July of 2014.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Antlers86; 08-14-2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

double down deer feed, I have tried a lot of feeds but this is the one I have had the best luck with.

Comment

I have a feeder behind my house and they are eating 50lbs every 3 to 4 days.

Comment

Put it out there ASAP and keep the spouts clear after every rain. Build a 10-12 panel feeder pen. 34" hog panel works good. If you have cows, you might want to build a barbed wire fence about 10 yards outside of the hog panel pen. Spread some corn around if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                  I've had really good results with GamePro 20% and 16%. I had deer on it 2 wks after it being out and coming daily. As far as timing I keep it year round. Think I started it in July of 2014.
                  Where are you buying this?

Originally posted by Possum9 View Post
                  double down deer feed, I have tried a lot of feeds but this is the one I have had the best luck with.
                  No Double Down dealers close to me that I can find

Comment

Where are you buying this?

No Double Down dealers close to me that I can find
                    New York Feedstore off 607. Roughly 30 minutes from your work.

Comment

I run protein year round in east Tx.
                      I have at least four feeders of it always going. Thomas Moore, Purina, and Record Rack have all been good. Jan-Aug I run straight protein. Sept 1st until Jan I do a 50/50 mix with corn.

50/50 mix helps get them started. I keep my spouts 38-40" off of the ground.
                      That measurement is from the bottom lip of the spout.

Comment

We feed 6-8 tons per year, primarily from late Jan/early Feb until September. Our deer eat the Record Rack really well. They also love rice bran. We have free choice protein feeders located inside 6-8 hog panel pens to keep the hogs out. We normally mix the first batch in the early spring 50/50 with corn and protein to get them going, then they just eat straight protein. We aren't worried about being close to water at our place because deer are never more than 1/2 mile from several water sources (creeks, bayous, ponds, lakes, etc)

Comment

I have had this feeder out for 3 months, nothing is touching the feed. No coons, pigs or deer

House wren tried to build a nest in one of the spouts

Comment

I have had this feeder out for 3 months, nothing is touching the feed. No coons, pigs or deer

House wren tried to build a nest in one of the spouts
                            What protein did you use?

My bucks just started hitting the protein 2-3 wks ago. They didn't touch it from November-April

Comment

Brian, try adding some corn in with the mix. They will eat the corn and get some of the protein. As time passes lesson the corn amount.

Comment

Working...
                              X