Hay for Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay for Deer?

I just saw in the D-I-Y section that Brushtrooper had built an alfalfa feeder. I think that he did a good job on it. This got me wondering. Do deer eat alfalfa hay or any other type of hay? If so does anybody put out hay for thier deer?

They do eat alfalfa. (don't think thats spelled right) I don't know about any other hay.

Comment

Have been feeding the deer alfalfa for about 3 years now, they eat the fire out of it... Never tried jig hay, dont think they would like it though...

Comment

if you have deer in pens they most likely need a source of roughage because most likely all the grass is gone plus its a decent source of protein. in the wild they will eat it but not real quick

Comment

Cool. I think I may have to try feeding alfalfa! Do you need it in a Hay manager or just throw the whole bale out or how do you feed it? Also do hogs eat it?

Comment

Originally posted by JSAPP View Post
            They do eat alfalfa. (don't think thats spelled right) I don't know about any other hay.
            A

Comment

I have a hay feeder out and the deer are hitting it hard right now. One bail last about 2 weeks.

Comment

Been feeding alfalfa for about 4 years now, the deer, the axis and the ranchers goats next door love it. Put out 2 large round bails of hay in march just to see if it would work, havn,t seen them but my pop's said he's got trailcam pictures with whitetail and axis eating it.

Comment

I fully agree, HOORAY FOR DEER!!!!

sorry, i've been rdinkini tonight.

Comment

A bale will only last 2-3 days on my place. The Whitetails tend to eat the smaller bits/ends and the Axis eat anything.

Comment

As mentioned by everyone else, whitetail deer will eat alfalfa hay. Most other types of hay are useless to a whitetail because of their body's inability to digest grasses. Some studies have shown around 15% grass in a deer's diet, but most of this is new, highly palatable, easily digestable shoots. They may eat the other types of hay, but it won't do anything for them since its typically not fresh growth. There's an old saying that a deer can starve to death with a belly full of grass.

As for axis and other exotics, just about any hay will work. Most of them differ from whitetail in that their bodys can readily digest these grasses. Alfalfa is still better than most b/c of protein content.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieHunter View Post
                        As mentioned by everyone else, whitetail deer will eat alfalfa hay. Most other types of hay are useless to a whitetail because of their body's inability to digest grasses. Some studies have shown around 15% grass in a deer's diet, but most of this is new, highly palatable, easily digestable shoots. They may eat the other types of hay, but it won't do anything for them since its typically not fresh growth. There's an old saying that a deer can starve to death with a belly full of grass.

As for axis and other exotics, just about any hay will work. Most of them differ from whitetail in that their bodys can readily digest these grasses. Alfalfa is still better than most b/c of protein content.
                        It has been a few years since my ruminant nutrition class, but this is due to the extremely high content of cellulose and lignin in the stem portion of grass. Leaves are much lower in these and therefore much easier to digest. Thus, you need to purchase leafy @$$ alfalfa or you are wasting your money. I prefer to let the deer munch on my 80 acres of alfalfa under drip. Only downside is we shoot a lot of does on such a large food source....

Comment

They also love chaffa (not sure on the spelling) but they are crazy about it. I always buy mine at the big feed and hardware store in Junction

Comment

I've found it difficult to get the deer started on alfalfa hay...especially inside a feeder pen. I guess it was foreign to the deer in our area and the smell spooked them at first.

Once they start eating it, though, they can't get enough of it.

Comment

What about hogs? Do they mess with it?

Comment

Working...
                              X