No Till Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Till Drill

I'm trying to decide if the cost of a no till drill is worth the investment. I currently plant around 9 acres of oats for deer and my cattle. I do like the idea of no more disking before planting. I usually do some type of plot year round. Would like to hear some thought if the expense of no till drill is worth it. Also thinking with a no till I could do more winter pastures for my cows and cut the winter time feed bill drastically. Thanks for the input.

in

Comment

I will tell you that if you think you will never have to disc again that is not true. The land will compact eventually and you will have to break it up, especially if you have cattle? Our area we have lots of mesquites and if you do they will take over. My guess is that about 2 to 3 yrs expect to have to deep plow it again.

Comment

I always wanted a no till drill but after talking to people that have them they still disk every time so don't think it cost effective
        Last edited by Anythinghunter8; 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anythinghunter8 View Post
          I always wanted a no till drill but after talking to people that have them they still disk every time so don't think it cost effective
          Why do they say the have to disc every year?

Comment

Originally posted by BULL21 View Post
            Why do they say the have to disc every year?
            Our place the ground gets to compacted and the mesquites take over.

Comment

well I guess it depend on your land we have black land they say it just don't work good with it but I think it all depend on time of rain and what no

Comment

Rent it...

Very expensive to buy.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Did not realize you will still have to disk often. My thinking is I own a 70hp tractor and a 7' disk. It takes me a while to get the plots ready by making 2-3 passes. I don't think my tractor will handle a much bigger disk. So with out buying a new bigger tractor and a bigger disk I could buy a used no till for less money. I also do weed spray every year so the mesquites are taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
                    Thanks for the responses. Did not realize you will still have to disk often. My thinking is I own a 70hp tractor and a 7' disk. It takes me a while to get the plots ready by making 2-3 passes. I don't think my tractor will handle a much bigger disk. So with out buying a new bigger tractor and a bigger disk I could buy a used no till for less money. I also do weed spray every year so the mesquites are taken care of.
                    You shouldn't have to keep discing. If you put in the proper cover crops and build up the organic matter in the soil, compaction will eventually not be an issue. Using chemical to control weeds and mesquites is also key.

Comment

Originally posted by txarcher View Post
                      You shouldn't have to keep discing. If you put in the proper cover crops and build up the organic matter in the soil, compaction will eventually not be an issue. Using chemical to control weeds and mesquites is also key.
                      x2

Comment

disking brings in new seeds, weeds, and bushes.

Disk as little as possible. That is the purpose of a grain drill, not to disk

Comment

I havent disced in years. No till only . Extensive use of rotational planting works great for me. Never clean the table. Candidly don't use synthetic fertilizer anymore either. I find crop rotations and occasional chicken litter works just fine for all nutrient needs. My soil isn't good enough for commercial ag but plenty good enough for deer.

Comment

Originally posted by txarcher View Post
                            this right here. if mesquite is taking over you aren't using the chemicals.

You got to have a sprayer that's a key ingredient to no till planting. Especially if the cover crop doesn't come up. Likely you'll have the worst problems with weeds and mesquite if your cover crop doesn't take over so you'll have to double down on torching it with chemicals.

Comment

What type of cover crop do y'all suggest for spring and summer. Normally I plant cow peas, sun flowers, and millet.

Comment

Working...
                              X