No announcement yet.

Whats your Opinion on Kimber Long Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been very pleased with my Kimber rifles.

One reason I think some people have a problem with them is that the Kimber hunting rifles tend to be lighter that most. Shooting light rifles is a bit different that heavier ones. You have to be able to able to manage recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
      Friend of mine with a gunshop quit selling them years because 3 or 4 of every 10 he sold wouldn't hold a 4" group. Guys buying thousand dollar rifles expect much better. Hill Country Rifles won't take them for their accurizing service if that says anything.

LWD
      Let's get real here. HCR's accurizing service cost $695 and doesn't promise anything as far as accuracy improvement no matter the maker. Who in their right mind would fall for this? I can get a new barrel installed for less than that and I'd be willing to bet it would outshoot their accurizing service. If you want the deluxe accurizing service cough up $1595 which includes a new barrel.

I have one of their rifles that I bought used and it shoots great. Almost as good as my Alamo Precision that cost half as much.

The bottom line is that you are taking a chance with any mass produced rifle in this day and age. Kimber is not better or worse than any other production gun.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post

One reason I think some people have a problem with them is that the Kimber hunting rifles tend to be lighter that most. Shooting light rifles is a bit different that heavier ones. You have to be able to able to manage recoil.
        You are quite correct. Not everyone has the skill to shoot lightweight rifles. Here is a link to a good article.

The fundamentals of rifle shooting still apply when shooting lightweights—in fact, they matter more. Here are some lessons that will help you get more from less and tighten your groups when shooting lightweight rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          Let's get real here. HCR's accurizing service cost $695 and doesn't promise anything as far as accuracy improvement no matter the maker. Who in their right mind would fall for this? I can get a new barrel installed for less than that and I'd be willing to bet it would outshoot their accurizing service. If you want the deluxe accurizing service cough up $1595 which includes a new barrel.

I have one of their rifles that I bought used and it shoots great. Almost as good as my Alamo Precision that cost half as much.

The bottom line is that you are taking a chance with any mass produced rifle in this day and age. Kimber is not better or worse than any other production gun.
          Where can you get a rifle rebarreled for than 695.00? Shilen charges over 400.00 for just a match grade barrel and Hart charges 715.00 for a barrel and installation. Or are you talking like an ER Shaw barrel?

I had them do a rifle for me and so did my nephew. They did very good work and we got back two rifles that are sub moa. They will get more money from me in the future. I never "fell" for anything.

When HCR did your rifles did it turn out bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            Where can you get a rifle rebarreled for than 695.00? Shilen charges over 400.00 for just a match grade barrel and Hart charges 715.00 for a barrel and installation. Or are you talking like an ER Shaw barrel?

I had them do a rifle for me and so did my nephew. They did very good work and we got back two rifles that are sub moa. They will get more money from me in the future. I never "fell" for anything.

Pacnor will do it for $650. http://pac-nor.com/pricelist/

Sorry but it doesn't make sense to put almost $700 into a factory rifle without replacing the barrel. That's putting lipstick on a pig.

I bought one of their complete rifles. It was lightly used and came with the build sheet. $3500 with a customer supplied action. He sold it for $1250. It shoots great. Just like several other custom rifles built for half the original cost. There is a point where you are paying for a name and not better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              Pacnor will do it for $650. http://pac-nor.com/pricelist/

Sorry but it doesn't make sense to put almost $700 into a factory rifle without replacing the barrel. That's putting lipstick on a pig.

I bought one of their complete rifles. It was lightly used and came with the build sheet. $3500 with a customer supplied action. He sold it for $1250. It shoots great. Just like several other custom rifles built for half the original cost. There is a point where you are paying for a name and not better performance.
              Does not include bedding or free floating? I paid 400.00 for a used Remington 700 in 300 win mag, took it to HRC and now have a sub moa rifle for 1100.00 total. How did I go wrong?
              Once again I will ask when HRC did your work how did it turn out?

Comment

Man I'm glad the one I bought shoots great!

But then I've never owned a Kimber that didn't shoot great.

Comment

Horizon Firearms for $895 will true your action, put on a new match grade barrel. Adjust your trigger or install a new trigger if you provide, bed your action to the stock. Cerakote all metal for you upto two colors. And guarantee a .5 moa.
                  Hill Country Rifles is way over priced.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
                    Horizon Firearms for $895 will true your action, put on a new match grade barrel. Adjust your trigger or install a new trigger if you provide, bed your action to the stock. Cerakote all metal for you upto two colors. And guarantee a .5 moa.
                    Hill Country Rifles is way over priced.
                    Wrong, check again. Please call Horizon.

Comment

Wrong, check again. Please call Horizon.
                      No your wrong. They are currently building my 3rd rifle as we speak. I'm pretty sure I know Horizon's pricing. Just look under Services for the Rebarrel $895.00 everything included as I mentioned above. It's Clearly posted on his web page.

Comment

Wrong, called them price was more than you say. Was not that far off from HRC

Comment

Wrong, called them price was more than you say. Was not that far off from HRC
                          Obviously your trying to justify the poking you received from HCR. I know what I'm paying from Horizon and it's $895.00 for the services mentioned. The price will go up from there if you add fluting to the barrel, bolt knob or bolt fluting.
                          Even those services are way less than HCR. HCR wants $295 to flute a barrel 6 straight flutes. Horizon is $160 for 6 straight flutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
                            Obviously your trying to justify the poking you received from HCR. I know what I'm paying from Horizon and it's $895.00 for the services mentioned. The price will go up from there if you add fluting to the barrel, bolt knob or bolt fluting.
                            Even those services are way less than HCR. HCR wants $295 to flute a barrel 6 straight flutes. Horizon is $160 for 6 straight flutes.
                            Obviously you should compare apples to apples. Also consider the accuracy guarantee from HRC.

Comment

Obviously you should compare apples to apples. Also consider the accuracy guarantee from HRC.
                              It is a well known fact HCR is a joke. I can get a new barrel $350 lilja, installed for $200-250. West Texas ordnance and several others. I've had more than a few built.... HCR polishes a ****. And charges a fortune for it. A simple bedding a trigger job goes a long way on a lot of factory guns. That's essentially all they are doing. For 2-3X the price. But but but their rifle made a hit at 3200 yards!! After the guy literally shot at it all day with dozens of rounds haha. HCR is just an overpriced tuning shop.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post

Yep. And a lot of folks get the thin barrels hot, fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X