2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hardcortex View Post
    I like that set up, may have to steal that idea and start earlier!
    I use shrink wrap and good packing tape on the edges. Cover the top when frost is forecasted and cover entirely when freezing. The bucket buried in the middle has holes drilled in the sides and half full of compost. We water them by filling it up with water every other day or three.

Comment

That is quite the setup you got there Scotty

Comment

Scotty I may have asked you this last year. Buy transitioning you tomatoes/peppers from artificial light to sunlight....you have any problems? I get a lot of casualties with them turning a silverish color and dying??

Comment

I'm going to give it another month.
          Three 4x8 beds and some edges that I'll plant beans, cucumbers, peas, corn in...

Comment

Try organic compost, Lady Bug, Gardenville, and Medina fertilizer. I'm NOT a rep for any of them, but my gardens went crazy. My tomatoes plants were taller than me, and my Mexican Oregano was 5' in diameter.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

Originally posted by Man View Post
              Scotty I may have asked you this last year. Buy transitioning you tomatoes/peppers from artificial light to sunlight....you have any problems? I get a lot of casualties with them turning a silverish color and dying??

I have had a lot of problems growing from seeds in the past. They got a couple of inches tall and keeled over. The heating pads and grow light have made a world of difference. The main thing Is keeping the light right above the tops of the seedlings. ( I raised it up for the photo)
              It's actually sitting on the plastic tubs right now. Also, don't water too much.

Comment

Garden is Mrs Gummi's area. She loves organic gardening, and any time I help, I get fussed at. I have learned to stay out of her way. When she needs me, she will say so *usually to unload bags of dirt or mulch from the truck*

She has ordered her heirloom seeds, and Cowpots. I suspect she will put them together this weekend to start seedlings. She has these small hydroponic trays for starting seeds.

I got her a 4' x 12' raised bed for Christmas, so I'm sure I'll be putting it together in the very near future. She made up half of her list from this one store: http://www.gardeners.com/home Tomatoes will go in these: http://www.gardeners.com/buy/gardene...S.html#start=8

Comment

A couple questions:

We've had tomatoes and peppers in raised beds for the last few yrs. Just moved to South of midlothian and was planning on tilling (if I can with the rocky soil) but would you recommend tilling in some topsoil or going with raised beds? we'd like to do a much bigger operation this year and have about 1.5 acres open of which I'd like to do about 1/8 of that into a garden

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

I need to get moving...my garden is very neglected since summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm gonna do a pepper and tomato garden this year. Getting my permaculture bed ready now.

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
                        I need to get moving...my garden is very neglected since summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Same here. I've got to till mine and get prepping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm planning on tilling next weekend. This will be our first garden at our new house. Can anybody suggest anything to ad while we tilling maybe some good top soil, lime, etc?

Comment

Garden

Mine is worked up and will be planting taters in the next week or so. Tomato and pepper plants or growing in the greenhouse. Added a big pile of compost a couple weeks ago, hopefully we do not get the floods this year.

Comment

I would add compost instead of topsoil. As compost will aerate the soil better and fertilize at the same time. Also if you have access to Medina Plus, which is a soil activator, that can help break up the soil and stimulate the microorganisms in the soil. Also if you spray with liquid molasses, it may keep the fire ants out. Fire ants hate molasses

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm having to redo one of my beds this year. I got a bad batch of landscape timbers a few years ago, and they have rotted. Just more work, but definitely worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X