No announcement yet.

2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With Curtis is the long action needed for the 6.5-284?

Comment

^^^ I believe so, particularly if you want to shoot the high BC/long bullets

Comment

I'm 80% set on a .260 Rem but since it'll primarily be a blind/brush/truck gun for deer, hogs, and axis that'll rarely be shot >200m I want to concentrate more on balance and maneuverability than long range performance. How short can I go before I lose too much velocity, the balance goes wonky, and I get too much muzzle blast? Will fluting/not fluting impact the balance?

If there's another caliber that would be better suited for this application I'm willing to entertain the idea but I like .260 because I've got a ton of .308 brass and already load 6.5x55.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetoe View Post
          I'm 80% set on a .260 Rem but since it'll primarily be a blind/brush/truck gun for deer, hogs, and axis that'll rarely be shot >200m I want to concentrate more on balance and maneuverability than long range performance. How short can I go before I lose too much velocity, the balance goes wonky, and I get too much muzzle blast? Will fluting/not fluting impact the balance?

If there's another caliber that would be better suited for this application I'm willing to entertain the idea but I like .260 because I've got a ton of .308 brass and already load 6.5x55.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You can run the 260 in a 20 or 22 inch barrel and still get great performance. A buddy of mine ran a 22 inch 260 with a can and shot to 1000 regularly.

Fluting is mostly cosmetic. While it does reduce weight to some degree it won’t affect balance as much as you are thinking.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
            You can run the 260 in a 20 or 22 inch barrel and still get great performance. A buddy of mine ran a 22 inch 260 with a can and shot to 1000 regularly.

Fluting is mostly cosmetic. While it does reduce weight to some degree it won’t affect balance as much as you are thinking.

Sierracharlie out…

My 260 has a lightweight contour barrel and balances well at 22”. I’ve bumped close to 3000fps velocity with 129 Accubond LR using my hand loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What are your guys thoughts on the 257 Wby in a 26” vs 24”?

Guys at Alamo recommend 26” but my stubbornness really wants to shave a couple inches off since I run everything supressed

Comment

I agree on the shorter barrel for a suppressor but the 257 wby is way underutilized with 24 inches.

IMO, too many people get wrapped up in a particular cartridge rather then an end goal.

What is your goal with the 257 Roy? Is it laser flat to 400 yards, extreme long range or sentimental attachment. I seem to recall you already having a 257 so perhaps it's attachment or you have bullets dies and powder to stuff your own.

Let's take a look at what will deliver flat shooter performance to 400 or so yards and killing power well beyond that. I would look at something like a 7mm WSM with a 130 grain bullet. The new 65 saum with a 120 or 130 would do really well from a 22 or 24 tube as would a 280AI with a 120 or 130. You could add the 65x284 to that list as well.

If you don't stuff your own the good ole 7rm in a 1:9 twist slinging a 140 would do you well and add the versatility of stepping up to a 160 grain.

Those will hit harder and carry a higher BC per grain then the quarter bore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                  Ordered mine.

.25-06
                  24" barrel, 1 in 9" twist
                  Ratchet Fluting
                  stock is Woodland Transition Camo
                  Graphite Black Cerakote
                  Well, glass is on the way. Went with Zeiss Conquest HD5, 3-15X42. Now need to decide on rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                    Well, glass is on the way. Went with Zeiss Conquest HD5, 3-15X42. Now need to decide on rings.
                    You won't be disappointed. I have a HD5 2-10x42 on my 30-06 and its a great scope, especially with some of the deals on the HD 5 lately.

Comment

Hi Robert, do you guys built Left handed guns at all? What if I provide a left handed action? Not talking in regards to this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                        What are your guys thoughts on the 257 Wby in a 26” vs 24”?

Guys at Alamo recommend 26” but my stubbornness really wants to shave a couple inches off since I run everything supressed

Go longer.

And in virtually every case listen to the recommendation of a competent gunsmith if you have fully discussed your goals with the gun. They know what works.

Comment

You will see between 75-100 fps loss from 26” to 24”.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                            I agree on the shorter barrel for a suppressor but the 257 wby is way underutilized with 24 inches.

IMO, too many people get wrapped up in a particular cartridge rather then an end goal.

What is your goal with the 257 Roy? Is it laser flat to 400 yards, extreme long range or sentimental attachment. I seem to recall you already having a 257 so perhaps it's attachment or you have bullets dies and powder to stuff your own.

Let's take a look at what will deliver flat shooter performance to 400 or so yards and killing power well beyond that. I would look at something like a 7mm WSM with a 130 grain bullet. The new 65 saum with a 120 or 130 would do really well from a 22 or 24 tube as would a 280AI with a 120 or 130. You could add the 65x284 to that list as well.

If you don't stuff your own the good ole 7rm in a 1:9 twist slinging a 140 would do you well and add the versatility of stepping up to a 160 grain.

Those will hit harder and carry a higher BC per grain then the quarter bore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                            Go longer.

And in virtually every case listen to the recommendation of a competent gunsmith if you have fully discussed your goals with the gun. They know what works.
                            Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            You will see between 75-100 fps loss from 26” to 24”.

Awesome and appreciate it fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
                              You won't be disappointed. I have a HD5 2-10x42 on my 30-06 and its a great scope, especially with some of the deals on the HD 5 lately.

Who had these deals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                                Who had these deals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Cabelas still has some.

Comment

Working...
                                X