African Bushpigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

African Bushpigs

A couple of weeks ago one of the local farmers contacted me asking if I could help with hunting bushpigs thats causing a lot of damage in the corn.

I jumped at the opportunity as its a very challenging hunt and the meat is absolutely the best around.

1st challenge is to walk the boundaries and find where they come into the crops.

Then its time spent under African stars. The way I hunt them is by walking slowly in the dark listening for them in the corn where they are feeding.

I use a flir scout tk monocular that hangs around my neck to scout for body heat.

One of the things to learn is what the breeze at night does as it can change from area to area and for those who have hunted them before you know they have super senses.

Once I hear them I start moving into the corn slowly covering 50 yards in 45-50min at times stalking closer till I get to see them on the flir.

My rifle I use for this type of hunting is my 303 Brit Lee Enfield fitted with a Aimpoint red dot sight, a Light Force PredX9 light under the rifle with a red or green filter, loaded with handloads, 174gr Hornady RN bullets.

Once I am close enough to try for a shot (5-15 yards average )the rifle comes into the shoulder and the light goes on. Shots are taken the moment the pig is seen.

One of the workers on the farm told me that he sees some bushpigs moving around late afternoon just before sunset on the hill opposite the farm house.

I took my Sauer 200 in 308win topped with a Leupold VX3 and started looking for them as I can stretch the 308 shot compared to the dot that I use for close work.

The first afternoon delivered nothing except a beautiful sunset.

A couple of day later I returned and setup in a different location.

After about an hour a bushpig popped out suddenly just above the poplars in the middle moving quickly from left to right, I made a quick shot and the 150gr bullet connected spot on.

The 150gr bullet did the number on the pig’s heart.

Two weeks of hunting is left before I have a bow hunter from Washington coming over for 10 days.

After that I will change my tactics into getting them on bait and getting hunters to hunt them from a pop up hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice..too much fun!!

Comment

Sweet! Nice write up

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Nice write up

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Congrats!

I understand the bait and pop-up approach for clients, but your way sounds way more fun! Maybe it's just personal preference.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                    Congrats!

I understand the bait and pop-up approach for clients, but your way sounds way more fun! Maybe it's just personal preference.

Thanks for all the comments,

88 you would be surprised how few people can walk softly in the veld during day time, then add people dont know anymore how to walk at night without lights.

It all is a recipe for busted pigs, then with pigs moving around the corn fields more than one hunter becomes a dangerous situation.

For clients I prefer a hide as I can control scent, movement and sound a lot better and give them the best shot at big boar

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerhard View Post
                        Thanks for all the comments,

88 you would be surprised how few people can walk softly in the veld during day time, then add people dont know anymore how to walk at night without lights.

It all is a recipe for busted pigs, then with pigs moving around the corn fields more than one hunter becomes a dangerous situation.

For clients I prefer a hide as I can control scent, movement and sound a lot better and give them the best shot at big boar

Makes perfect sense to me. I just like your style and would vow for the up close and personal approach!

Comment

Ditto

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                          Makes perfect sense to me. I just like your style and would vow for the up close and personal approach!
                          Same here. Nice write up and pics. Thanks,

Comment

Thanks for all the response,

I will go out stalking tonight again in the full moon.
                            Week number 4 on the property and I am still patterning behavior in the moon light

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Working...
                              X