Workout issue - CONSTANT muscle soreness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple version :

Not enough recovery time between workouts. Lactic acid is the cause of the soreness

Not enough protein. Should be getting 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight at the level you are working out

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Comment

At your age, inflammation is probably an issue. I didn't see any fish oil, but for me, it helps a ton. Lots of people have success with CBD oil for inflammation too. Add stretching and lots of water, like at least 32 oz in a 30 min session. If you are rucking, with Texas heat, at least 64 oz in the time period you are talking, if not more.

Also, eat meat every day. That is a huge issue. Vegans who do lift and are strong take an insane amount of supplements just to keep up with someone on a regular high protein diet.

What does your Saturday/Sunday rest day look like? You need at least one day of HR below 90 for most of the day if you are going like you describe. I would also suggest more transverse plane workouts instead of isolating one muscle group at a time. Pat McNamera instagram has tons of workout ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          At your age, inflammation is probably an issue. I didn't see any fish oil, but for me, it helps a ton. Lots of people have success with CBD oil for inflammation too. Add stretching and lots of water, like at least 32 oz in a 30 min session. If you are rucking, with Texas heat, at least 64 oz in the time period you are talking, if not more.

Also, eat meat every day. That is a huge issue. Vegans who do lift and are strong take an insane amount of supplements just to keep up with someone on a regular high protein diet.

What does your Saturday/Sunday rest day look like? You need at least one day of HR below 90 for most of the day if you are going like you describe. I would also suggest more transverse plane workouts instead of isolating one muscle group at a time. Pat McNamera instagram has tons of workout ideas.

Sat and Sun are complete rest days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Look into Wilderness Athlete, I don't work out in a gym but I am very active at work and the ranch on the weekends. I noticed a bit of a lag when I turned 40 and looked for some supplement to help. I take the vitamin every evening and the C8 MCT with my coffee every morning. This is the only product that I have noticed a difference with, they have some really good products available that I believe will help.

Comment

you 16 or 40?? dont see leg day bra, upper body needs that rest
              Last edited by trjones87; 04-10-2019, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                I will be 40 this year and for the last 10 years have worked out consistently. Mainly weights and some cardio and have rarely taken off more than a few months in that time period. I was a competitive powerlifter in HS and college, and then let myself go in my 20's and fattened up, but at 29 got serious and shed 70 pounds and got back into the best shape of my life. Since then I have kept fit and switched my focus from a beach body look to just being healthy and fit for hiking type hunts.

Since Feb 1st I have worked out 5 days a week in the gym. I get 30 minutes paid time to workout each day at work so here is what I do. My focus is to be completely fit for a big muley hunt in AZ this November.

Monday - Chest & Triceps
                Tuesday - Quads - Biceps
                Wed - Back & Shoulders
                Thurs - Triceps & Abs
                Fri - Quads & Traps

Each muscle group I do burn-out sets usually in the 10-15 rep range until I reach 100 reps. So each day I do 200 reps total and every set is to burnout. I dont rest between sets because I have to rush to meet my time limit and it helps keep the burn going.

Then when I get home, 3 days a week I ruck hike up and down hills for 30 minutes with a 55 pound weighted pack.

I've been doing this consistently since Feb 1st and muscle soreness is VERY bad. So bad, its effecting my sleep. I can see the change in my physique already in the mirror and my strength and size is improving while body fat is dropping. In that time, I've only lost one pound of body weight, but the mirror is showing that obviously I've replaced fat with muscle.

In the past I've always got over the soreness in the first week or two, but this time it wont go away.... Is it just getting old or am I doing something wrong??? I love the results, but the soreness is becoming an issue.

ANY THOUGHTS???
                Stretch a LOT... on top of that, I wonder if you can have a lactic acid build up (will cause muscle soreness in overused muscles), the only way to combat this is to do some cardio. When I pitched in college I had to run after a hard throwing session or game. It helps tremendously. On top of that, for hunts in AZ I would concentrate more on your cardio and rucking, I'm not saying don't lift, but your lungs and legs are key in the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                  you 16 or 40?? dont see leg day bra

How don’t u see it? I do legs twice a week.... quads are legs FYI

Last edited by TXBRASS; 04-10-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                    How don’t u see it? I do legs twice a day.... quads are legs FYI

i meant like days just for legs (more than quads) so that upper gets a break. twice a day? you crazy bro lol

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                      i meant like days just for legs (more than quads) so that upper gets a break. twice a day? you crazy bro lol
                      Gotcha... I meant to type twice a week. "quads" is kinda generalizing. Mainly consists of leg presses both sumo wide and then feet close together. As well as squats and hack-squats. To be 100% honest, im more sore in my hams and glutes after these workouts than in my quads. Hamstring soreness is one of my biggest issues. The ruck hikes really hit the lower back, traps, and calves as well.

Comment

I have been where you are now. Space your workout with a days rest in between your max out days. Lighten up on the weight and increase your reps. Add two leg days with back strengthening and drop an upper body day. When I hit 40 I started doing what I called a "Old Man" workout. Lighter weight, max reps. I was in the best shape of my life from 40-50. Dont forget cardio.

Liquid intake is crucial. If you are having leg pain that could be a vitamin deficiency, maybe a testosterone issue.
                        Last edited by lovemylegacy; 04-10-2019, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I think you're over training and aren't getting rid of the lactic acid buildup. Quit doing the burn outs and try something else. Back to basics of 3 sets of 8-10 reps using progressive resistance. Try a 4 day split, push/pull, upper body/lower body,3 day alternating M-W-F or find a different workout. They're plenty out there.

A four day split that I fall back to on occasion:

Monday-chest and biceps
                          Tuesday-legs and shoulders
                          Wednesday-off
                          Thursday-back and triceps
                          Friday-legs and shoulders

And then foam roll, foam roll, foam roll. Rest is your friend!

Comment

I can echo a lot of what has already been said, lots of good information has been offered up.

I'm 46 and push my limits working out and training for races and have noticed when I first start a training cycle that it takes a few weeks for my diet to align with what I'm putting my body through, lots of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness then my diet and protein/carb intake coupled with lots of electrolytes pull me out of it by week 2 then its wide open.

Comment

Some people swear by the cryogenic therapy. I have not tried it but I plan to. I just hit 35 and I have finally accepted the fact that I am not in my mid 20's anymore............

Comment

You're not 18 anymore. You need more recovery (aka sleep). Get 8 hours/night. As said already, you're way low on protein intake. Vegetables are great. Vegan....not so much. Eat more lean meat, eggs, venison, protein shakes/bars, etc. to get the protein your muscles need every day.

I'm 52, and I workout 5 days per week, doing both weight training as well as conditioning work (typically HIIT). I avoid sugar and junk food. Eat mostly meat and vegetables. I'm no body builder, but I'm in pretty good shape for 52. I don't stay sore. If I skip leg day one week, I'll be sore the next time I do legs. But that's normal.

Foam rolling and stretching are fine, but they're not replacements for adequate rest/recovery and protein/nutrition.

Comment

Working...
                                X