Workout issue - CONSTANT muscle soreness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workout issue - CONSTANT muscle soreness

I will be 40 this year and for the last 10 years have worked out consistently. Mainly weights and some cardio and have rarely taken off more than a few months in that time period. I was a competitive powerlifter in HS and college, and then let myself go in my 20's and fattened up, but at 29 got serious and shed 70 pounds and got back into the best shape of my life. Since then I have kept fit and switched my focus from a beach body look to just being healthy and fit for hiking type hunts.

Since Feb 1st I have worked out 5 days a week in the gym. I get 30 minutes paid time to workout each day at work so here is what I do. My focus is to be completely fit for a big muley hunt in AZ this November.

Monday - Chest & Triceps
    Tuesday - Quads - Biceps
    Wed - Back & Shoulders
    Thurs - Triceps & Abs
    Fri - Quads & Traps

Each muscle group I do burn-out sets usually in the 10-15 rep range until I reach 100 reps. So each day I do 200 reps total and every set is to burnout. I dont rest between sets because I have to rush to meet my time limit and it helps keep the burn going.

Then when I get home, 3 days a week I ruck hike up and down hills for 30 minutes with a 55 pound weighted pack.

I've been doing this consistently since Feb 1st and muscle soreness is VERY bad. So bad, its effecting my sleep. I can see the change in my physique already in the mirror and my strength and size is improving while body fat is dropping. In that time, I've only lost one pound of body weight, but the mirror is showing that obviously I've replaced fat with muscle.

In the past I've always got over the soreness in the first week or two, but this time it wont go away.... Is it just getting old or am I doing something wrong??? I love the results, but the soreness is becoming an issue.

ANY THOUGHTS???

Stretch a lot more. And remember you don’t recover as fast as you use to

Comment

You are 40. Sounds like you are simply over doing it.

I don't know much about it but some people are swearing by CBD oil for workout recovery.

Comment

Stretch, foam roll, advil...
        I am 42 and have found in the last year that if I have sugar in my diet, my body is inflamed and I am more sore than if not. If I cut out all sugar, my soreness is drastically cut down within a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
          Stretch, foam roll, advil...
          I am 42 and have found in the last year that if I have sugar in my diet, my body is inflamed and I am more sore than if not. If I cut out all sugar, my soreness is drastically cut down within a few days.
          This...I probably spend just as much time stretching and doing recovery work as I do actually working out. I'm 37 and I'm starting to really notice how much longer it takes to recover. I've had to lower my weight and increase my volume just to help avoid (re)injury.

Comment

I'd change up your workout to something other than burnouts, since it has been more than 6 weeks doing this. Possibly throw in some more leg workouts and running/jogging to get the lactic acid moving more than just walking or ruck marching will. Possibly stretching more as well.

What is your diet like? are you getting enough Potassium? enough protein, BCAAs, etc?

Might look into trying a small scoop of glutamine throughout the day.

Comment

I’m not as old as some of y’all but I do still lift a bunch of weight. When I go 5 days a week, I take one day off and use it as a stretch/recovery day. I don’t do burnout sets though but I use pretty heavy weight. No real goal right now but will eventually enter an open weight comp at some point again.

Like last week I had 2 days of “recovery” because skipped upper because I was going to throw BP after school. I was sore as all get out from throwing but after my true recovery day, I was fine.

I get my cardio with the kids as I do the throwing and running programs with them.

I also eat like a lion as I eat a ton of meat throughout the day.

Take a day and stretch it all out and pump your body full of fluid and food. It works for me.

Comment

Taking any supplements? Protein, BCAA's, EAA's, test... etc...?
                Sounds like you're over doing it just a bit. Burn outs are good but you have to give your body time to rest. ( don't go to failure every workout)As I've gotten older I've found out that rest and diet are just as important as the workout....... if not more.

Comment

Originally posted by whakm View Post
                  Taking any supplements? Protein, BCAA's, EAA's, test... etc...?

Sounds like you're over doing it just a bit. Burn outs are good but you have to give your body time to rest. ( don't go to failure every workout)As I've gotten older I've found out that rest and diet are just as important as the workout....... if not more.

Not many supplements.... mainly Yohimbe extract once a day.
                  Diet is vegan 6 days a week with 50-60 grams of protein per day and on the 7th day I eat wild game meat and get about 100 grams of protein that day.
                  Rest is 6-7 hours of sleep per night...
                  Drink tons of water each day, but have to admit, I stretch very little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would try combining the large muscle groups with the small muscle groups. And separate back and shoulders.
                    Like:
                    Mon - chest, triceps, abs
                    Tue - Shoulders, legs
                    Wed - back, traps, biceps.
                    repeat

I only say that because your currently blasting your biceps the day before you workout your back. Then your blasting your back and shoulders, only allowing one day of rest before your traps.

Full disclosure, I am not a trainer by any means.

Comment

Simple....your body needs a little more rest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                        Diet is vegan 6 days a week with 50-60 grams of protein per day and on the 7th day I eat wild game meat and get about 100 grams of protein that day.
                        Rest is 6-7 hours of sleep per night...
                        Drink tons of water each day, but have to admit, I stretch very little.

You are wayyyyy short on protein intake. Muscles need protein and you are starving them.

Comment

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this.

Doc: Stop doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post

Comment

I don't like the burn out sets. I think if you cut them out your soreness will improve incredibly and you won't be losing much if anything from the workout. Try it for a week and see. Also get more protein in, vegan or not don't care.

Comment

Working...
                              X