felons and hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Genevieve View Post
    I'm going to get flamed for this...Our second amendment says we have the right to keep and bear arms. It doesnt say "except you or you" If a felon convicted of a crime with a weapon wants a gun he/she will get it. Telling them they can't have a gun won't prevent them from comitting another crime.
    Not flaming anyone, nor wanting to start anything, but in most states (48 of 50, I think), convicted felons are stripped of the right to own firearms and to vote. It is part of the price paid for committing a felony.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ Pops View Post
      Not flaming anyone, nor wanting to start anything, but in most states (48 of 50, I think), convicted felons are stripped of the right to own firearms and to vote. It is part of the price paid for committing a felony.
      Yes, but not here in Texas. My voting rights have been restored and I excersize that right at every opportunity. As far as firearms I've said my piece.

Comment

I'm going to get flamed for this...Our second amendment says we have the right to keep and bear arms. It doesnt say "except you or you" If a felon convicted of a crime with a weapon wants a gun he/she will get it. Telling them they can't have a gun won't prevent them from comitting another crime.
        Actually, Justice Alito commented on this issue when the Supreme Court ruled on the Heller case in 2008. He said:

"It is important to keep in mind that Heller, while striking down a law that prohibited the possession of handguns in the home, recognized that the right to keep and bear arms is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose," he wrote.
        "We made it clear in Heller that our holding did not cast doubt on such longstanding regulatory measures as prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms."
        Supreme Court Opinions

I can't see why anyone would "flame" you for your comment, though. And of course anyone who wants a gun can most assuredly get one or several.

But the SCOTUS upheld the right to restrict LEGAL possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, and in certain places as Samuel Alito explained above.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ Pops View Post
          I don't agree with taking away someones right to vote either. If they've been sent to prison and released they've done their time. But I also think they should be eating a simple meal and forced to work while in prison. no cable tv, just a bible, paper and something to write with. Its supposed to be prison not disneyland. Sorry got off track.

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
            Yes, but not here in Texas. My voting rights have been restored and I excersize that right at every opportunity. As far as firearms I've said my piece.
            For anyone interested, here's a chart detailing how each state handles whether a felon can vote:

Comment

black powder is not considered a firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Knocks View Post
                Look up Tx penal code 46.05 it will tell you everything you need to know about felons and firearms.
                46.04 is the correct Penal Code site.

Sec. 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM. (a) A person who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he possesses a firearm (1) after conviction and before the fifth anniversary of the person's release from confinement following conviction of the felony or the person's release from supervision under community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is later; or(2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at any location other than the premises at which the person lives.

Essentially, if the felon wants to hunt, he has to hunt IN HIS HOUSE, the premises where he/she lives.

Comment

I don't agree with taking away someones right to vote either. If they've been sent to prison and released they've done their time. But I also think they should be eating a simple meal and forced to work while in prison. no cable tv, just a bible, paper and something to write with. Its supposed to be prison not disneyland. Sorry got off track.
                  There are consequences to your actions. Some of which will live with the rest of your life! Just ask the preteens that get pregnant and have babies in high school. These people knew that. The felons knew the risk they were taking and did it anyway.

Consequences are real, they are deliberate, and they affect you for the rest of your life. They are there so not only you pay for it, but they also serve as a warning to others.

Its as simple as: Follow the law or else!

If you believe in the Bible and God then you completely uderstand that God will lead his flock but will also punish those who slip up, or those who threaten his flock!

Same holds true here. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Dont spare the board! Follow the law
                  Of the land, and dont get mad when we punish in the exact same manner that we said we would do! Those who choose to do otherwise have very real consequences.

Sorry but I have to disagree for wanting felons to vote, they have proven to be poor decision makers. Why would you want them to decide things for our country? Or even own firearms?
                  Im sure that some fellows are changed and are good people. Fact is most are not and laws are made for the masses not the few!

Comment

But after you repent for your sins does God keep punishing you?

Comment

Lots of people are felons, they just didnt get caught. There are also a lot of people who did stupid things when they were younger and havent been in trouble for over 30 years, what about these people?

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                        There are consequences to your actions. Some of which will live with the rest of your life! Just ask the preteens that get pregnant and have babies in high school. These people knew that. The felons knew the risk they were taking and did it anyway.

Consequences are real, they are deliberate, and they affect you for the rest of your life. They are there so not only you pay for it, but they also serve as a warning to others.

If you believe in the Bible and God then you completely uderstand that God will lead his flock but will also punish those who slip up, or those who threaten his flock!

Of the land, and dont get mad when we punish in the exact same manner that we said we would do! Those who choose to do otherwise have very real consequences.

Sorry but I have to disagree for wanting felons to vote, they have proven to be poor decision makers. Why would you want them to decide things for our country? Or even own firearms?
                        Im sure that some fellows are changed and are good people. Fact is most are not and laws are made for the masses not the few!
                        Coach, go ahead and cast that first stone. Sounds like you qualify!

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post

I would imagine you would feel totally different if you had not got an attorney when you were young and had a felony on your record. I believe once you have served your time, off parole, probation or whatever you are now a taxpayer and therefore should have all the right's as any other taxpayer. People make mistake's and should noy have to pay for them the rest of their life if our judicial system decides they have served their time!

Comment

I was in a Walmart a few years ago standing in line to get a liscence. The guy in line in front of me was trying to get a liscence. The cashier (after a ten minute wait) told him he wouldn't be able to get a liscence. He asked why and she said that he was a convicted felon. His response was, "I know, but I thought I'd try" I thought felons couldn't get a liscence at all. Maybe he was on parole or something. What would have kept him from getting a liscence that would allow other felons to get one?

Comment

Originally posted by native_texan View Post
                              46.04 is the correct Penal Code site.

Sec. 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM. (a) A person who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he possesses a firearm (1) after conviction and before the fifth anniversary of the person's release from confinement following conviction of the felony or the person's release from supervision under community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is later; or(2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at any location other than the premises at which the person lives.

Essentially, if the felon wants to hunt, he has to hunt IN HIS HOUSE, the premises where he/she lives.
                              Nope, only if he wants to hunt with a firearm. Archery gear and MLs are not considered firearms by texas statute. I can have a firearm in my posession in my home for home defense. And I betcha I grab one of my wifes firearms to defend my home and family if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by M-2 View Post
                                For anyone interested, here's a chart detailing how each state handles whether a felon can vote:
                                http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.r...resourceID=286
                                Great infor, M-2, clearly better than my source! Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Working...
                                X