Wolves in East Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
    Oh great! Wolves, bears, poachers, long lease hunters, black panthers hiding behind every pine tree.....Man, ETex is a rough place to live!
    Don't forget hogs, gators, and bigfoot. This is brutal land and if your gona come over here you better sleep with one eye open.

Comment

Have seen 2 wolves in Etx, 1 in 1992 and the other in 93 not 5 miles from each other. One was colored like the ave. timber wolf, the other was coal black. Both were 100lbs plus. Seen one crossing the road and the other shot dead.(not by me) Also seen bear in 1997 in shelby co running beagles in feb in the river bottom, wasnt very big but was a bear.

I work in the woods most everyday cruising timber,burning,pushing firelanes,etc and have seen neither since.
      Last edited by smokin feathers; 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Interesting read about life in the Big Thicket and the Wolf and Bear Hunters from the late 1800's into the 1900's.

Comment

I have seen one right here in Mont Belvieu. Im only 36 miles east of houston. The land is in the middle of town and only 140 acres. I say it once about 3 years ago. He was very old looking but i didn't have a shot. Say tracks for days in the same spot but did see him again.

Comment

Wow I had no idea they had any trace of wolves in east texas still

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Comment

I had a book that talked about the life of Ben Lilly. If anyone ever comes across that book it is a must read...Woodsman is an understatement.

Comment

My uncle shot a coyote in the early 80's, turned out to be a wolf.

I saw one in Palestine in 98', rainy day, walked right out in fornt of us on a small blacktop, had four other guys in the worktruck. She was pretty poor and was holding a fox squirrel in her mouth, she obviously had a litter of pups. She stood there looking right at the truck for about 45 seconds, seemed like an hour.

Comment

Did he call TP&WL

Originally posted by Joebuck View Post
                    My uncle shot a coyote in the early 80's, turned out to be a wolf.

I saw one in Palestine in 98', rainy day, walked right out in fornt of us on a small blacktop, had four other guys in the worktruck. She was pretty poor and was holding a fox squirrel in her mouth, she obviously had a litter of pups. She stood there looking right at the truck for about 45 seconds, seemed like an hour.
                    Did he contact Texas Parks and Wildlife. The Red wolf of Texas has been on the endangered species list for the last 40yrs and recently about 1998 moved to the extinction list. So if proof is out there of wolves please contact them at once so they get the pertection they need...

Comment

Wolves are making a come back, just wait we will have a season for them. Look at Idaho.

Comment

Seen what looked to be a Grey wolf about a year ago... There is a Wolf "center" thingie about 10 miles away and I'm guessing it escaped from there. lol

Comment

Yes, Wolves are making a come back in Tx just like Black Bears are.
                          There are as many Wolves in East Tx as there are Black Panthers, Big Foots and pterodactyls!

Comment

My step dad hunts a place in Polk county and they actually call it wolf mountain. Has been called that for generations but he says about once or twice a season you can actually hear the howls of wolves come through. His dad has hunted the property for years and claims though seldom seen or heard most know they are there

Comment

Had a friend that wanted a coyote mounted that he killed in East Texas. When I thawed him out and got measurements I had to buy a medium wolf form to fit. Had to at least be a hybrid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf1041.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	23896284

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                                Did he contact Texas Parks and Wildlife. The Red wolf of Texas has been on the endangered species list for the last 40yrs and recently about 1998 moved to the extinction list. So if proof is out there of wolves please contact them at once so they get the pertection they need...
                                Don't know what they did and my uncle has since passed, I was only a kid and don't remember it personally.

Comment

Working...
                                X