Instinctive Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instinctive Shooting

While reading some comments on the subject elsewhere, I came to this conclusion:

"The more you try to explain instinctive shooting, the less instinctive it becomes."

Thoughts?

Rick

I agree, you start thinking about not thinking and you lose focuse. IMO

Comment

my 2 cents, it's not truly instinctive. it's a learned process.
      I do shoot "instinctive" myself

Comment

Well y'all all know I shoot to fast to be aiming with any success. Maybe that's why my accuracy is so poor! That being said it's similar to throwing a ball . Throw to first bace enough you know what to do. Home plate from center field ect. You have to practice a lot to get proficient. I wish I had eyes of my twenties and a brain that would allow me to gap. I would gap. So I don't know am I a instinctive shooter or just a confused archer? Arvin

Comment

Being able to throw a ball is easier.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't deny instinctive shooting exists. I just don't see how it can be explained. If it is truly instinctive, any break down, and analogy of it removes true instinctive from the process, and it becomes a learned skill.

The only reason I bring it up at all is - Due to the term "Instinctive", and how many define it, I have known a fair amount of shooters who either lived through a long period of agonizing frustration, before they either finally found some peace with it, OR gave up entirely.

This is why I believe the term "Intuitive" would be much better for beginners to get a grip on.

Rick

Comment

I think you are right that it is difficult to explain. We use analogies like throwing a baseball and talk about being in the zone or becoming the arrow but that explains nothing to those who have not experienced it. I have a suspicion that those of us us who think we are shooting 100% instinctive are probably doing some version of gap shooting but we are doing it subconsciously. You release when it "feels right" but it feels right because experience tells you the gap is right.

Comment

I know if I think about it at all its not gonna work out. That's why it's so hard to watch videos and read forums for tips. You just have to focus and let her rip. I draw on the way up and as soon as my middle finger touches the corner of my mouth, the arrow is gone. I think concentration on the draw process is the only thing I can think about. If I pause at full draw, I'm screwed. I made myself draw with my back muscles to make sure I didn't have have to think about it. Mr. Barbee, I concur with you on this.

Comment

Watch the you tube video called the push. Not instinctive but it works for me

Comment

Its definitely a learned art.
                    I have let loose easily over 10,000 arrows before getting 'ok' good at this. Shooting nearly every day for over 18 months.
                    Somewhere along the way the 'feeling' developed.

You guys who do it know what im talking about. Its a distinct 'feeling' that im going to hit what im looking at. Trying to explain that sense to someone who has not stumbeled onto it yet is difficult.
                    I just feel a good shot now when i focus heavily on my spot. Such an addictive sensation.

Comment

I have found that if I do not think about the shot and apply a procedure or discipline, ninety percent of the time the shot will be way off of the mark. This is due to an instinctive use of a bad habit coupled with poor eyesight and a tendency to be lazy and not come to full draw. I do not know how many tens of thousands of shots will be adequate to engrain the procedure and kill the bad habits. Until it does happen, it has to be a process and not an instinct.

Comment

Thinking and instinctive are opposite terms. Over thinking leads to confusion and I suspect it also leads to what is called target panic.
                        Now, I sometimes think through the shot process, and then practice the process many times until it becomes automatic.
                        Over thinking causes me to shoot poorly and gives me a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafter S View Post
                          Watch the you tube video called the push. Not instinctive but it works for me
                          Thanks for the video link. Very informative. Think I may give it a try. I love shooting "instinctively" but the lack of consistency is aggrivating

Comment

Those guys from "The Push" video started a podcast recently. Very good guests do far.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by herd90 View Post
                              Those guys from "The Push" video started a podcast recently. Very good guests do far.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What's the name of the podcast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X