Charcuterie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcuterie

Does anybody mess around with it? I completed my chamber about a month ago and filled it with cured meat last Sunday. 28 lbs of wild pork hams and bellies and 2 lbs of venison. Nothing has rotted yet!
    Attached Files

Iv been doing charcuterie for a couple years now. My chamber was flooded during Harvey and i have yet to build another one. How long have you been doing it? That's alot of meat to be putting in the chamber at one time... And from the look of it you have a lot of soft tissue/fat that will not cure. What process/technique did you use to cure the meat?
    Last edited by Jason85; 04-13-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Did you salt any of them with anything?

Comment

I don’t have a chamber or anything but I’m trying umai bags for the first time. I have a braezola about ready to eat. Might try it this weekend. Wish me luck...

Comment

Something about that just does not look appealing. Not knocking it because I’ve never tried it but at first glance no thanks!

It never ceases to amaze me the broadness of things that everyone on this site does. I tend to not pay attention to most things in the world and this would be one thing that I had no idea existed. It’s interesting to see what different folks do as a hobby or other things.

Comment

Ive never heard of this either

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
              Something about that just does not look appealing. Not knocking it because I’ve never tried it but at first glance no thanks!

It never ceases to amaze me the broadness of things that everyone on this site does. I tend to not pay attention to most things in the world and this would be one thing that I had no idea existed. It’s interesting to see what different folks do as a hobby or other things.
              The color of meat has me wondering what process he used to cure the meat. The meat should not be brown like that. The cure itself keeps the meat pink which is why im asking what technique/process he used. And with that much meat in the chamber you will have a tough time controlling your humidity and moisture level.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                Ive never heard of this either
                charcuterie simply means cured meat. Like salami or dry cured sausages...
                Last edited by Jason85; 04-13-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
                  charcuteries simply means cured meat. Like salami or dry cured sausages...
                  I just googled it. I like cured meats, but this pic doesnt look too appetizing.

Comment

^ Yeah, I'm not a meat guy like Jason but based on the expertise (haha) I've gained watching food/travel channel, I'd say something isn't right. That looks like the stuff I pull out of the cooler after a couple days on ice. No offense, OP. Very interested in hearing about your setup and charcuterie, in general.

Comment

The whole muscle pieces that didn't get rolled up were dredged in salt using the "salt box method". The bellies that got rolled got the same treatment with the addition of pink salt #2. It went into zip lock bags then into the fridge for 8 days under an equal amount of weight. I drained the excess water out of the bags and overhauled the meat twice during the curing time. Then everything was washed off, dried, weighed, tagged with the weight and then hung into the chamber. The chamber is a working upright commercial fridge. I used a manual temp controller plugged into the fridge to keep the temps from getting too hot. A small ceramic heater keeps the temps from getting too cold. An ultrasonic humidifier with an inline controller handles the humidity. The fan on the heater or the one on the fridge supplies my air movement. I have checked the temp and humidity twice everyday since I hung the meat and they are always within the parameters of what is safe. I have 2 methods for checking just to be sure of what is going on inside the chamber.

How were you doing it Jason?
                      Last edited by oneeye; 04-13-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Meat cured this way is considered safe to eat when it has lost 30% of its original weight. Some let it go longer, but 30% is standard.
                        My daughter and I took all of the pieces out today for a visual inspection and weigh in. They all look good-no mold or rot. The metal halide lights in my shop don't do much for picture quality. Upon weighing, all of the weights were recorded on their tags and in my notebbok. After doing the math, we have lost 4% of our total starting weight . Some pieces had lost a bit more and some a bit less. So far everything is just as it should be. I sure hope I'm patient enough for this!

Comment

I'm interested. I can see ham and bacon? Is that right? What else? Thought those and dried sausages would be it.

Comment

Hams and bellies yes. Except the hams become prucittio and the bellies become pancetta once they are dried. I have a couple of venison hams in there also. I think any cut of meat can be cured this way. I'm hoping to make some pepperoni chubs soon and get them in there.

Comment

This site has good info. It’s definitely an art!

Comment

Working...
                              X