THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDVerfurth View Post
    Hahaha... that sucks bro... do you feel served and protected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I kinda do, no ticket or anything. Ended up talking to the warden for like 45 min.

Comment

Anyone do cheap Euro mounts around here

Comment

Originally posted by Mlenderman32 View Post
        Anyone do cheap Euro mounts around here

You may look up cary taxidermy on Facebook. He does good work and I don't think he was very expensive

Comment

So I'm pretty familiar with the unwritten rules of baseball...but not so much of the unwritten rules of hunting public land. This is my first season hunting and am kinda learning everything from Youtube & the Internet. Anyone care to share some of do's and don'ts of hunting public land? Last thing I want to do is ruin some guys hunt!

For example, I've been out to TBR twice now, and while scouting after the morning hunt I have seen several brush blinds people built...If no one is in them is it alright to hunt out of them? Is it a first come first serve type of thing? Or would that just be a dirt bag move on my part?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Also anyone got any tips on scent control? I've had does come in every time i've been out so far, only to have them get a whiff of me and start snorting and run off before they get within shoot range.
          Last edited by TexasRangerFan7; 10-26-2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRangerFan7 View Post
            So I'm pretty familiar with the unwritten rules of baseball...but not so much of the unwritten rules of hunting public land. This is my first season hunting and am kinda learning everything from Youtube & the Internet. Anyone care to share some of do's and don'ts of hunting public land? Last thing I want to do is ruin some guys hunt!

For example, I've been out to TBR twice now, and while scouting after the morning hunt I have seen several brush blinds people built...If no one is in them is it alright to hunt out of them? Is it a first come first serve type of thing? Or would that just be a dirt bag move on my part?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Also anyone got any tips on scent control? I've had does come in every time i've been out so far, only to have them get a whiff of me and start snorting and run off before they get within shoot range.

I wouldn't get in anybody's blind. But I would set up close by if nobody was there. It first come first serve but actually getting in it wouldn't be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
              I wouldn't get in anybody's blind. But I would set up close by if nobody was there. It first come first serve but actually getting in it wouldn't be cool.
              Yeah that's what I kinda figured. That's good to hear though bout setting up close by.

There's a a lot of brush blinds out there in such a small area so it would be hard for me to get pretty far away from all them. I'll won't feel bad anymore bout setting my pop up blind somewhat close by.

Comment

Definitely don't sit in someone else's blind.

Biggest thing is be respectful of other hunters. Personally if I found a spot with a brush blind I wouldn't even scout that area I would move on. IMO people who set up next to someone else are inconsiderate. Lots and lots of land out there it's not hard to find a spot away from everybody else. Nothing makes me more mad than putting in several hours worth of scouting along with several miles just to have someone setup 50 yards from me huntin over my corn pile that I've been hand feeding for weeks.

Comment

Yeah if there is corn in the area I would move away. If it's just a brush blind that is no telling how old and dosnt look used I would set up where ever. Even though you can't claim a spot by putting up a stand/ blind. If it looks used I would move away. I was thinking he meant old blinds

Comment

Originally posted by 79F250 View Post
                    Definitely don't sit in someone else's blind.

Biggest thing is be respectful of other hunters. Personally if I found a spot with a brush blind I wouldn't even scout that area I would move on. IMO people who set up next to someone else are inconsiderate. Lots and lots of land out there it's not hard to find a spot away from everybody else. Nothing makes me more mad than putting in several hours worth of scouting along with several miles just to have someone setup 50 yards from me huntin over my corn pile that I've been hand feeding for weeks.
                    X2 it sux to get out to your blind and find someone set up right on top of you Its normally pretty easy to see that someone has been feeding in that spot for awhile . Speaking of this I got pics on my camera of this guy walking right threw my corn this morning
                    Last edited by rbertman; 10-27-2016, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRangerFan7 View Post
                      Yeah that's what I kinda figured. That's good to hear though bout setting up close by.

There's a a lot of brush blinds out there in such a small area so it would be hard for me to get pretty far away from all them. I'll won't feel bad anymore bout setting my pop up blind somewhat close by.

Yeah it tends to suck when you have put in time effort and some money on a spot to get out there and someone is in it or stole something or tore stuff down. Had a guy scout my spot and do a mid day hunt over it ( I guess to avoid me) and leave a gut pile between the blind and bait which it was only about 25yds from blind to bait. He tore down about half the blind and draped this stinking burlap over it. It was already like a mesquite igloo best brush blind I had ever put up. Story is on page 16 of this thread I think. I talked to some other guys that said he had talked to them and said something about other peoples spots etc... and he had crashed another spot or 2 also. It is first come first server public land but when you are on a small acreage area and you know there are quite a few other hunters out don't scout during normal hunting hours of the day and dang sure don't try to spot stalk and still hunt during those times either. You will end up walking up on someone in a set up. Heard more than a story or 2 about it and have had people walk through my set up and see me when they are right on me and get scared and then have a cross bow or shotgun pointed at you by a frightened goober.

Comment

My personal favorite are the walkers in old army greens carrying a shotgun and smoking a cigarette... hahaha... especially when you're up in a tree and they never even see you... I guess we will see how much TWPD taking over TBR has changed that situation this weekend... being first weekend of general season... Hahahaha... I'll try to get pictures of walkers if I have anyone come close...

Comment

Thanks for the advice fellas, I appreciate it. I'll be sure and do my best to set my pop up as far away from other people's set ups as possible.

How crazy is gun season on public land? I plan on making the trip down to San Angelo this weekend to do some more hunting with my bow. I've been trying to read through this thread, and it seems like a lot of people have had issues in the past with people behaving recklessly and shooting blindly into the woods.

Edit:

Originally posted by JDVerfurth View Post
                          especially when you're up in a tree and they never even see you...
                          JD, I do have access to a hang on stand with some climbin sticks...Are there big enough trees in any of the units to hunt out off? I have yet to see any.
                          Last edited by TexasRangerFan7; 10-31-2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Yes sir area 1... area 3.... maybe 8... I've heard good things about 8.... also good lean-toos work in most all of the other areas... But, wildly shooting into the woods... not so much... but walking around trying to get up close to a deer is a preferred method to a lot of people (Walkers) on TBR.... and there is zero decision making into pulling the trigger... they will shoot fawns, yearlings, anything brown... don't get me wrong... I like to walk around but I only do walking when it's time to rattle up bucks... which is a great way to see some larger bucks that hide out on TBR...

Comment

There's absolutely no deer in 8. Stay out!! LOL. JK. There are a few trees tall enough in 8. Several over near the river bend on the far east side but I have seen a couple hunters in that area so don't know how crowded it is. I have avoided that area because of that. The west end looks like it may have a few taller trees but I haven't explored it much. In the center area I haven't seen a tree that would work with a hang on and have explored it pretty well. Of course remember 8 is no guns. Bow only. Son and I have seen some young deer in 8. Area 5 is also bow only and it has some trees along the river that you could probably use a hang on.

Comment

Oops my bad. Area 5 is walk in only but not bow only.

Comment

Working...
                                X